Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    for those who already have their hands on the pre 2: is there a limit on how many cards you can stack together? on all the demos and videos that Dieter has shown i've only seen a max of three cards. can we not do four?
    Ive seen a screen shot of about 7 Facebook windows stacked. I don't think there is a limit. Ram is the limit.
    Hows the slider?...Thats pretty much what i havent heard about yet.
    They were saying that the AT&T pre's hardware was awesome and no oreo or anything so I suppose the pre 2 must have also solved all those problems.
    what about boot up times.. i think they may be under NDA about that still .... as it may not brandish the Palm logo as before
    Dieter posted a vid of the boot time compared to a Pre Plus
    Vid showed less than two minutes.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    There is no limit to the amount of cards in a stack, according to Dieter on the last Palmcast.
    thanks for the info, was wondering about this.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    The real question: How many can you stack before the area to tap to switch to a specific card in the stack becomes small enough that usability becomes an issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    The real question: How many can you stack before the area to tap to switch to a specific card in the stack becomes small enough that usability becomes an issue?
    I thought this was a good enough question to test! And it's AWESOME.

When you have 5 or more cards in a stack, swiping left or right in card view while focused on that stack will slide the cards around in the stack so you can get to the one you want! If you want to swipe to another stack (or a card not in the stack), you can do that with another swipe.

It's very slick, very smooth, and exactly like dealing with a real deck of cards in your hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I thought this was a good enough question to test! And it's AWESOME.

When you have 5 or more cards in a stack, swiping left or right in card view while focused on that stack will slide the cards around in the stack so you can get to the one you want! If you want to swipe to another stack (or a card not in the stack), you can do that with another swipe.

It's very slick, very smooth, and exactly like dealing with a real deck of cards in your hand.
    Excellent. Now I'm much more excited about the stacks feature.

Is this possible to do when there's 5 or less cards in view? If so, that would be great. If not, I imagine it would be a little confusing to know that when there is a certain number of cards in the stack, that feature becomes enabled.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I'm hoping there either is, or eventually will be, a way to tap one icon and open multiple cards all in one stack. For example, I want to press one "shortcut" icon and have it open email, text, and a browser as a stack. Or maybe another one that opens both twitter and facebook together.
    There is no limit to the stack count Ive seen but it appears that after the 4th card in the stack it gets pointless for you cannot tap on the cards behind. I would like to see a feature that tapping on the stack would "deal out" the cards to get the regular card view. Unless I missed this memo and just haven't seen it. If not there, here is a good patch idea
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    I'm hoping there either is, or eventually will be, a way to tap one icon and open multiple cards all in one stack. For example, I want to press one "shortcut" icon and have it open email, text, and a browser as a stack. Or maybe another one that opens both twitter and facebook together.
    lol, you want the moon on a stick!

I tried the stacking multiple cards on my Pre2 - I stacked up seven apps just and I think you could keep going until the memory was full but more than five gets a little bit difficult to see the cards, although webOS does handle it very tidily with a very nice shuffle feature where you can see the cards in the stack - I just don't think I would use it. I tend to have two or three cards in a stack. I really like the way when you click on a link in one app the browser opens up in the stack.

The "Palm" logo is still here and hopefully will be for a while to come regarding the question on the boot logo. Also the boot up time (just timed on mine took 65 seconds) is way quicker than my Windows XP desktop!!
    Shutdown takes just over 30 seconds (about five until the gesture area lights up and another 25 secs till it turns off).
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    My Tablet history: HP TouchPad 32Gb (model A - 1st gen)
    Actually getting five or more cards in a stack is really quite impressive! As VCI_Cell points out, they spread just like cards you would hold in your hand, when that stack is the active stack. As you swipe left or right it adjusts the spread of the cards so you can tap on the card you want to bring to the front, swipe away or manipulate within the stack. When that stack is not the active stack, the cards stack neatly so it doesn't take up much space on the screen.

I couldn't find a way to swipe the entire stack up off the screen though, just one card at a time.

I would post a screenshot of it but it is a real pain for me to do from work. Perhaps someone else can.

Very slick feature indeed.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msdavies View Post
    lol, you want the moon on a stick!
    Really? I'm no programmer but it just doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to me. It would be similar to a batch file on a pc but the only parameters would be open apps x, y, and z and then stack them together. If you say it's way more difficult than that then so be it. I didn't know. I was just hoping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Really? I'm no programmer but it just doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to me. It would be similar to a batch file on a pc but the only parameters would be open apps x, y, and z and then stack them together. If you say it's way more difficult than that then so be it. I didn't know. I was just hoping.
    It sounds reasonable to me... and a good idea. They could be called "hands" or "decks".
    I thought cards from the same app automatically stack (like multiple browsers). Is that not correct?

in that case mode switcher could just specify which apps and web pages to open, yes?

but, it's easy for me to say because I am not a programmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I thought cards from the same app automatically stack (like multiple browsers). Is that not correct?

in that case mode switcher could just specify which apps and web pages to open, yes?

but, it's easy for me to say because I am not a programmer.
    Cards that are launched from within an app automatically stack with that app. For example, a web link in TweetMe will launch the browser and stack automatically with TweetMe. But if I launch browser, then put it in card view and launch another browser, they do not stack.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast