Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    my bet is the US carriers are skidish...they want to see better hardware and see it work in the field. Sprint took a bath on the Pre.

Pre 2 will replace Pre in Us over next few months this is not going to be a major launch.

New flagship 4g device will come..........
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    my bet is the US carriers are skidish...they want to see better hardware and see it work in the field. Sprint took a bath on the Pre.

Pre 2 will replace Pre in Us over next few months this is not going to be a major launch.

New flagship 4g device will come..........
    The US carriers can't be that skittish if HP has super announcements galore ready for CES in just two months. We're about to see the infamous HP "leverage" and "scale" in action. I...have no idea what this press release non-launch of the Pre 2 is, frankly.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I love my pre 2 because the form factor is so great for me.
    I very eager to see the new devices though...I hope HP will give us a bit of shock and awe! :-p
    Why do americans have to be so selfish? France is not a test for the Pre 2, HP just realized that France is a better market than the US, where the Pre 2 wouldn't be noticed among all those Android/WP7 new phones.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    France isn't a 'test' in any significant way; it's a dump, if anything. In a few months, legitimate successor devices will be shown, and the Pre2 will remain an easily acquirable mid-tier phone.

Huge tech-head? Check out this PreHQ or PreSlate phone.

Not a tech-head? The Pre 2 is all kinds of epic in a sweet little package. And it's already in stores, and has been for a few months. No need to worry about 4g pricing plans, it works right now.

It's easy to forget, WebOS itself needs a larger base. If you can spark interest with a hero phone, and flood the market with free Pre 2s to those who would otherwise buy a dumbphone or find android too much, then bong bong.

Theres got to be more to the story than Palm and Pre. People need to start talking about WebOS in the same way people talk about android independent of hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    France isn't a 'test' in any significant way; it's a dump, if anything. In a few months, legitimate successor devices will be shown, and the Pre2 will remain an easily acquirable mid-tier phone.

Huge tech-head? Check out this PreHQ or PreSlate phone.

Not a tech-head? The Pre 2 is all kinds of epic in a sweet little package. And it's already in stores, and has been for a few months. No need to worry about 4g pricing plans, it works right now.

It's easy to forget, WebOS itself needs a larger base. If you can spark interest with a hero phone, and flood the market with free Pre 2s to those who would otherwise buy a dumbphone or find android too much, then bong bong.

Theres got to be more to the story than Palm and Pre. People need to start talking about WebOS in the same way people talk about android independent of hardware.
    I agree with that, France is not a test, but a market where HP can sell the Pre 2s that Palm made before the buy out.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Does anyone really think that the decision to launch the Pre 2 in France, only, is one that Palm made? Palm has loyal customers who are up for renewals multiple carriers and are ripe so sign up for upgraded hardware. It's obvious that they are meeting some resistance to the Pre 2 among carriers. The Pre 2 may be a test - a test by the carriers to see if the Pre 2 catches on.
    Sorry, but I think about a different approach: carriers may take their time on launching phones, and maybe they discarded the Pre 2 because of the financial status of Palm. (Note that they're releasing it in the Plus networks, maybe they attached the 2 with the Plus agreements).

We can't know what's exaclty going on, anyways...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Newness Developments apps:

Well let's hope the price drops to something more realistic then and with a global launch, Palm might be able to regain some mindshare.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Why do americans have to be so selfish? France is not a test for the Pre 2, HP just realized that France is a better market than the US, where the Pre 2 wouldn't be noticed among all those Android/WP7 new phones.
    americans so selfish? Take a look at what country overwhelmingly donates money to other countries when they are in need. It's the US you don't even have to look it up. What about his or hers statement was selfish anyway? It was just a statement.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Actually, overall, American citizens are very selfish. I'm not relating it at all to this specific instance, but it seems like no one in this country cares about anyone but themselves. Given, all people are the same, but it is not wrong to say that Americans are selfish. Maybe our government isn't, but the people are.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    americans so selfish? Take a look at what country overwhelmingly donates money to other countries when they are in need. It's the US you don't even have to look it up. What about his or hers statement was selfish anyway? It was just a statement.

I'm not talking about the goverment, nor every american citizen. I'm just talking about some americans here in Precentral which complain from every notice regarding Palm where US is not involved.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legos View Post
    Actually, overall, American citizens are very selfish. I'm not relating it at all to this specific instance, but it seems like no one in this country cares about anyone but themselves. Given, all people are the same, but it is not wrong to say that Americans are selfish. Maybe our government isn't, but the people are.
    our government? I'm talking look at the numbers of private donations compared to any other country. It is completely overwhelming. We privately donate almost as much as every other country combined. Just look up the numbers for private donations for haiti. Then look at what other countries did for us when katrina hit. Yes there are selfish people here just like anywhere else but philanthropy and modest giving far out number the selfish. You have the diluted outlook of our country the media likes to portrait.
    Last edited by jwinn35; 11/15/2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Money doesn't equal selflessness.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    our government? I'm talking look at the numbers of private donations compared to any other country. It is completely overwhelming. We privately donate almost as much as every other country combined. Just look up the numbers for private donations for haiti. Then look at what other countries did for us when katrina hit. Yes there are selfish people here just like anywhere else but philanthropy and modest giving far out number the selfish. You have the diluted outlook of our country the media likes to portrait.
    lol
    private donations don't necessarily count, especially when dealing with the ODA.

Furthermore, you cannot just base it on dollar amounts as it means absolutely nothing. For example, by percentage, the US is far down on the list on the ODA for percentage amount of money they give as a percentage of their gross national income

1. Sweden - 1.12%
    2. Norway - 1.06%
    3. Luxembourg - 1.01%
    4. Denmark - 0.88%
    5. Netherlands - 0.82%
    6. Belgium - 0.55%
    7. Finland - 0.54%
    8. Ireland - 0.54%
    9. United Kingdom - 0.52%
    10. Switzerland - 0.47%
    11. France- 0.46%
    12. Spain - 0.46%
    13. Germany - 0.35%
    14. Canada - 0.30%
    15. Austria - 0.30%
    16. Australia - 0.29%
    17. New Zealand - 0.29%
    18. Portugal - 0.23%
    19. United States - 0.20%
    20. Greece - 0.19%
    21. Japan - 0.18%
    22. Italy - 0.16%
    23. South Korea - 0.10%

To add, government donations don't make up "selfishness" vs "unselfishness". And yes, media around the world typically views the American people as selfish and aren't very liked

Anyways, this has nothing to do with the actual original post
    lol,o man ,this is a thread about a phone,lol. Lets get a grip here people
    OP is this a guess or is it based on some factual information?
    It will be very interesting if this takes to the poll and see the general response of the mass.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    There are 66,033 of those selfish Americans who were killed in WWII buried in France's 11 cemeteries. And those were just the ones that were not brought back to the US.
    It has nothing to do with unselfishness - they died on foreign soil to prevent war coming to US. Your comment was tasteless. US capital (and US government as marionette of large capital) had great sympathies toward Adolph H. in the beginning of his rule.

Back to the phone business, US is not ONLY market. There are Far East, Russia, EU... and people from US sometimes forgetting that fact. No selfishness included, just ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    It has nothing to do with unselfishness - they died on foreign soil to prevent war coming to US. Your comment was tasteless. US capital (and US government as marionette of large capital) had great sympathies toward Adolph H. in the beginning of his rule.

Back to the phone business, US is not ONLY market. There are Far East, Russia, EU... and people from US sometimes forgetting that fact. No selfishness included, just ignorance.
    ahem. you've forgotten about your partners up in the great white hockeyville lol :P