Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    opinions on opinions on opinions.

Nothing to get the dander up. I didn't, even when my brain fart comment was criticized.

That being said, CAN a review be done of a phone with it's info being announced publicly? Of course. SHOULD it? Very open for debate. WILL this affect the reviewers credibility with some readers? Maybe.

Just remember, it is his opinion. Then we get to discuss it.

/steps into flame retardant suit. (good thing I used to be a firefighter and can get into this fast!)
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    There were other phones that werent released yet, or that were only recently released, as well, that he ranked. The difference between them and the Pre 2 is that the Pre 2 has very few real differencedsin design from the original Pre - it has OS of the next version of the same design, the body style is the same (vertical slider, material, keyboard), and everything else is an obvious IMPROVEMENT (processor, glass face, 5 mp camera, etc). He likely feels safe that the phone will be a good experience because its so similar, however, he did put in his reservation about the hardware past issues - that's full disclosure, as far as Im concerned.

There is no ethical issue here. He fully discloses all, and gives his reasons. He is making no false claims, just his opinions. That's what he gets paid for.
    You must be joking. Let's try this again: A list of "top x whatever" should have all entries on equal footing for it to be legitimate. You can't mix handsets like the iPhone 4 which have both very real/actual problems and attributes and handsets like Palm Pre 2 which he has never touched or operated and have only attributes he reads off a spec sheet but no problems he doesn't imagine or project upon this abstract. It's farce.

Fox just announced today that James Cameron has been locked into a deal for two more Avatar movies for 2014 and 2015. I guess we should pre-emptively award him an Oscar nomination, right? Nothing wrong with that being that a nomination is just the metric of many people's opinions. And if Avatar 1 was Best Picture, then why shouldn't 2 and 3 be? It's the same creative team...hell, why stop at nomination? It's Best Picture for 2014 and 2015!

You see how ridiculous this is? There would be an uproar in Hollywood the likes of which you never heard before. But amazingly, they seem to have more integrity than ZDNET and the people citing and applauding the "results" of this list.

Im not "standing by" anything, other than his right to do his job, and express his opinions, for all his readers to acess. I personally dont agree with some of his placements in this article, and I definitely don't agree with his G2 placement, but that isnt important - this wasn't a scientific testing study, it was an evaluation based on hardware and software credentials/specification, and where he knew "something felt good in the hand" personally, he threw that in.
    But it is not an opinion of the Top 10 Smartphones of the year. He's not listing 10 smartphones that he has evaluated equally. This is where the blatant dishonesty comes in. He expressed his opinion of WebOS. The rest is pure conjecture. You ever see Engadget review a product they have not personally put through its paces? You ever see a movie critic create a top 10 list containing films that they have yet to see?

His "opinion" wasn't that the Palm Pre 2 would "likely be" one of the top 10 smartphones of the year. His "opinion" was that is IS even though he has yet to use it. That's lying, plain and simple.

This post was just to show some positive press for the Pre 2, from a legitimate source - but, I should have known better - the resident cynics here always come out in force to squash anything even close to being positive about WebOS and thier devices, even if it is from an objective source.

Geeez.

Please drop the laughable "It's his opinion...he has a right" cloak. Please drop the "Pre cynics are out to get me and won't give this 'article' a chance" canard. It's beneath you. I've already told you it has nothing to do with WebOS. It's a blatantly dishonest piece of nonsense. There is nothing objective or even legitimate about it.
    voted for palm pre eventhough it is getting repaired again by best buy
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You must be joking. Let's try this again: A list of "top x whatever" should have all entries on equal footing for it to be legitimate. You can't mix handsets like the iPhone 4 which have both very real/actual problems and attributes and handsets like Palm Pre 2 which he has never touched or operated and have only attributes he reads off a spec sheet but no problems he doesn't imagine or project upon this abstract. It's farce.

Fox just announced today that James Cameron has been locked into a deal for two more Avatar movies for 2014 and 2015. I guess we should pre-emptively award him an Oscar nomination, right? Nothing wrong with that being that a nomination is just the metric of many people's opinions. And if Avatar 1 was Best Picture, then why shouldn't 2 and 3 be? It's the same creative team...hell, why stop at nomination? It's Best Picture for 2014 and 2015!

You see how ridiculous this is? There would be an uproar in Hollywood the likes of which you never heard before. But amazingly, they seem to have more integrity than ZDNET and the people citing and applauding the "results" of this list.

But it is not an opinion of the Top 10 Smartphones of the year. He's not listing 10 smartphones that he has evaluated equally. This is where the blatant dishonesty comes in. He expressed his opinion of WebOS. The rest is pure conjecture. You ever see Engadget review a product they have not personally put through its paces? You ever see a movie critic create a top 10 list containing films that they have yet to see?

His "opinion" wasn't that the Palm Pre 2 would "likely be" one of the top 10 smartphones of the year. His "opinion" was that is IS even though he has yet to use it. That's lying, plain and simple.

Please drop the laughable "It's his opinion...he has a right" cloak. Please drop the "Pre cynics are out to get me and won't give this 'article' a chance" canard. It's beneath you. I've already told you it has nothing to do with WebOS. It's a blatantly dishonest piece of nonsense. There is nothing objective or even legitimate about it.
    You're absolutely right.
    I think this thread has run its course.

<<Thread closed>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123