Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. tdo
    Did any of the french guys getting their hand on the pre 2 check which CPU it is having (console: uname -a)

Is it an OMAP36xx as many think?
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    Yes
    Reference please.
    The article says it is running 1) 512 MB RAM at 200 MHz up from 166MHz in pre plus
    2) Plus the processor is: TI OMAP 3630

Google Translate
    Last edited by kkhanmd; 10/25/2010 at 10:22 AM.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    [QUOTE]Palm has just announced the availability of the smartphone Pre 2. Direct successor of the first name, the Palm Pre 2 features a very similar design. However, several components have been revised upwards with the integrated processor. Another new but not least, HP WebOS 2.0, an evolution of the operating system for operating in multitasking smartphone and adds new features.
    Announced soon, once tested. We could spend several days with the Palm Pre 2 and we could test it in preview. Indeed, for once, France is the country where the Palm Pre 2 will be available before all others. It will be available from October 22 SFR.
    Here is a full ownership of the Palm Pre 2 with respect to the first model that we had already won and competition.
    Taking Hands
    If you have a Palm Pre Plus (tested here) , the design change does not jump immediately to the eyes. Indeed, the Palm Pre 2 shows the outline of his predecessor. He always has a 3.1-inch multitouch screen displaying a resolution of 320x480 pixels. It also features a sliding keyboard below the screen to quickly enter text. The sliding system has been reinforced for longer use.
    There is always a port 3.5mm audio jack for listening to music and buttons to raise and lower the volume, push the button to turn on the vibrate mode.
    Palm Pre 2 uses a new screen more reactive than the former. Now you can count on a digital camera features a 5 MP sensor against 3.2 Mp for Palm Pre Plus . There is always the autofocus and LED flash. The processor is faster than the old. Indeed, one of Palm Pre 2 (TI OMAP 3630) is clocked at 1 GHz, 600 MHz cons for the Palm Pre Plus. The pace of the RAM was increased to 166 Mhz 200Mhz cons on the Palm Pre Plus.
    In practice, we feel a much greater responsiveness in the navigation menus as well as during tasks compared to the old version that was enough fluid. Pre 2 on the Palm, the menus are completely fluid and in our tests, we did not suffer any slowdown. We appreciate it.
    Within the text, there are 16 GB of memory is not expandable via memory card. Among other components, you can always count on a module Wi-Fi b / g (not n), Bluetooth 2.1, 3G + and compatibility updates over the air. "
    Palm Pre 2 measures 100.7 x59, 6x16 mm against 100.5 x59, 5x16, 95 mm. Suffice to say they offer the same footprint.

Palm Pre 2 syncs over the air. There is a mini-USB port for use as storage or for recharging.
    Compared to Palm Pre Plus, there is no plastic cover which allows to quickly connect the cable to charge or sync the device. We had found the delicate manipulation of plastic cover on the Palm Pre Plus. The connection is always aside what may be a bit annoying for some users.[QUOTE]
    Last edited by kkhanmd; 10/25/2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    The article says it is running 1) 512 MB RAM at 200 MHz
    2) Plus the processor is: TI OMAP 3630

Google Translate
    Good find, so the Pre+ is at 166MHz and the Pre 2 is at 200MHz.

Next question, when we are overclocking using UK, does that overclock the RAM as well or just the multiplier on the CPU?

EDIT: Also, Precentral kept stressing that the Pre2 reviewed was a "pre-production model" and not a final build, so did it have 166MHz or 200MHz RAM??? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    Last edited by sinime; 10/25/2010 at 09:50 AM.
    Nice read... I always figure that the pre2 is a lot different compare to the pre/plus. The phone look so refine... Just look @ it.
    I think there are three reasons why pre-2 is faster: Faster RAM, faster processor and webOS 2.0
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Just cant wait for 2.0 to get released!
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    I am itching for a new phone even if it's palm pre-2 before holidays.
    The 3630 is a great chip. I loved the speed of the Droid X when I had it and it has the same CPU.

It's a faster CPU than the Snapdragon, and is on par with the hummingbird in the Samsung phones. The only CPUs that are faster will be the upcoming Cortex-A9 based CPUs.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The 3630 is a great chip. I loved the speed of the Droid X when I had it and it has the same CPU.

It's a faster CPU than the Snapdragon, and is on par with the hummingbird in the Samsung phones. The only CPUs that are faster will be the upcoming Cortex-A9 based CPUs.
    Since dual core CPU's have a completely different set up, do you think webOS 2.0 will need MAJOR revision to upgrade to dual core CPU?
    These Mobile OSes are based on desktop OSes (Linux in case of webOS ) so the underlying OS will need to support multiprocessor first. I think it should not be a monumental task to upgrade to a multiprocessor aware version of Linux core (who knows maybe it already is mp aware).
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    These Mobile OSes are based on desktop OSes (Linux in case of webOS ) so the underlying OS will need to support multiprocessor first. I think it should not be a monumental task to upgrade to a multiprocessor aware version of Linux core (who knows maybe it already is mp aware).
    The webOS Linux kernel supports SMP. But the applications and UI has to support it more efficiently.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Good find, so the Pre+ is at 166MHz and the Pre 2 is at 200MHz.

Next question, when we are overclocking using UK, does that overclock the RAM as well or just the multiplier on the CPU?

EDIT: Also, Precentral kept stressing that the Pre2 reviewed was a "pre-production model" and not a final build, so did it have 166MHz or 200MHz RAM??? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    The latest version of F105 kernel has 200MHz overclock.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Can the 200MHz overclock come to Govnah as well?
    No. This is behind the scenes.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Do you see a noticeable increase in performance with the bump to 200Mhz?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Do you see a noticeable increase in performance with the bump to 200Mhz?
    Not really. Still waiting for feedback on F105. I know the Pre is finicky about having it overclocked, so it may not be a stable overclock at all.
    Live free or DIE!
    Excitement is in the air

My Themes:CLICK HERE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast