Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. ami.one's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #21  
    Is 200 MHz the RAM speed ?

    Because Palm Pre & Palm Pre Plus both have CPU running at 500 MHz with stock kernel

    And with Govnah+UberKernel they go upto 1.2 GHz

    (Mine only goes upto 1 GHz though, but pre plus handles 1.2 GHz also i hear)
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by amione View Post
    Is 200 MHz the RAM speed ?

    Because Palm Pre & Palm Pre Plus both have CPU running at 500 MHz with stock kernel

    And with Govnah+UberKernel they go upto 1.2 GHz

    (Mine only goes upto 1 GHz though, but pre plus handles 1.2 GHz also i hear)

    Yup 200 is the RAM speed. 1GHz is the CPU speed.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  3. #23  
    HTC desire HD shipping with 768 MB of RAM do you think palm pre-2 will ship with 1GB RAM. (Please dont say its not needed)
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    HTC desire HD shipping with 768 MB of RAM do you think palm pre-2 will ship with 1GB RAM. (Please dont say its not needed)
    It's not needed.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It's not needed.

    Its honestly not needed. With the current 512 ram you can open over 50 cards...how many more do you honestly need??
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    HTC desire HD shipping with 768 MB of RAM do you think palm pre-2 will ship with 1GB RAM. (Please dont say its not needed)
    512MB is more than enough. Plus you have to realize that the more RAM in the phone the more power it takes to power the RAM, so keeping the memory down is a good thing for battery life.

    Personally I have never had any issues with my Pre Plus and RAM. I have yet to see a TMC error message.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  7. #27  
    I think more RAM means, more programs being able to utilize them. More intensive programs can be build now with more RAM.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  8. #28  
    I was able to get a TMC error by launching HAWX with just two other cards open.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaus View Post
    I was able to get a TMC error by launching HAWX with just two other cards open.
    Do you have a plus or minus?
  10. #30  
    Even pre-2 has TMC errors as shown by engadgets video in pre-2 review, I think 1GB RAM would trounce the competition, never TMC errors again.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    512MB is more than enough. Plus you have to realize that the more RAM in the phone the more power it takes to power the RAM, so keeping the memory down is a good thing for battery life.

    Personally I have never had any issues with my Pre Plus and RAM. I have yet to see a TMC error message.
    Why would you apply the RAM requirements of webOS 1.x to a webOS 2.x phone? You have no idea what the RAM requirements for webOS 2.0 are. Logically, 2.0 will require more RAM.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 10/28/2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Removed trolling comment
  12. #32  
    I think they need to have 1 GB, webOS does require more RAM than Android or IOS as evidenced by all the other devices that were introduced along with Palm PRE. With even more features integrated and more auto-correct options webOS 2.0 will end up using more RAM and thus less will be available for programs. I think going with 1 GB makes the device more future proof than going dual core.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I think they need to have 1 GB, webOS does require more RAM than Android or IOS as evidenced by all the other devices that were introduced along with Palm PRE. With even more features integrated and more auto-correct options webOS 2.0 will end up using more RAM and thus less will be available for programs. I think going with 1 GB makes the device more future proof than going dual core.
    I disagree somewhat. Palm needs to fix their calculation of free memory. If you use my kernels you will never get a TMC, unless you open up 40 cards - at that point it will just crash. webOS behaves more like a traditional Linux machine. If you have oodles of swap (compcache) then why cant the OS use it before spitting out a TMC? webOS is crippled on purpose.

    Android's memory management coincides with it's multitasking routines. So it wont let you run too many apps all at once before killing off something. 1GB in a smartphone is huge, a tablet would be a better target for that kind of memory.
    Live free or DIE!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    I disagree somewhat. Palm needs to fix their calculation of free memory. If you use my kernels you will never get a TMC, unless you open up 40 cards - at that point it will just crash. webOS behaves more like a traditional Linux machine. If you have oodles of swap (compcache) then why cant the OS use it before spitting out a TMC? webOS is crippled on purpose.

    Android's memory management coincides with it's multitasking routines. So it wont let you run too many apps all at once before killing off something. 1GB in a smartphone is huge, a tablet would be a better target for that kind of memory.
    Whats huge now, might not be huge in a year when apple introduced it for the first time. Nobody needed retina display on phone w 3.5 inch size till Apple introduced it. I think 1GB RAM even if a little out of proportion will help solidify Palms commitment to greatest hardware.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  15. tdo
    tdo is offline
    tdo's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
       #35  
    45nm CPU - sweet. But besides I can't find much details on the 36xx series.
    Some basic comparison of the OMAP 3 generation here:
    http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/swpt024b/swpt024b.pdf
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Reference please.
    www.palm.com
  17. #37  
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    Just cant wait for 2.0 to get released!
    Man, you said it. I'm checking Precentral all the time for the latest rumors surrounding the update.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Why would you apply the RAM requirements of webOS 1.x to a webOS 2.x phone? You have no idea what the RAM requirements for webOS 2.0 are. Logically, 2.0 will require more RAM.
    I bet the memory footprint for webOS 2.0 is actually smaller than 1.x, because of the optimizations they made under the hood, especially dropping java and moving to JavaScript.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 10/28/2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Edited quote
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I bet the memory footprint for webOS 2.0 is actually smaller than 1.x, because of the optimizations they made under the hood, especially dropping java and moving to JavaScript.
    So they're not going to add voice commands, voice dialing, APIs for the camera, GPU-driven GUIs and a whole host of other missing features? That's a shame. But because they probably are adding them, they're going to require more resources than a little optimizing will overcome.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions