Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Any thoughts by anyone of the likelihood of the Pre 2 being available officially in Australia?

As we all know, buying one overseas is all fine, if one can find them unlocked. But the REAL concern has always been app catalog availability, especially PAID apps.

I for one would rock up and purchase one right away if the app catalog worked as reliably with australian currency as the iphone or android one does.

With HP's global presence, I've been cautiously optimistic about this.

Thoughts?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Any thoughts by anyone of the likelihood of the Pre 2 being available officially in Australia?

As we all know, buying one overseas is all fine, if one can find them unlocked. But the REAL concern has always been app catalog availability, especially PAID apps.

I for one would rock up and purchase one right away if the app catalog worked as reliably with australian currency as the iphone or android one does.

With HP's global presence, I've been cautiously optimistic about this.

Thoughts?
    Hey,Bennish..I'm thinking of this too.Anyway,check this website out.

Unlocked Mobile Phones | New Mobile Phones | Cheap Mobile Phones | MobiCity
    They got sell palm pre plus,if you need more information about the app catalog,you can ask them.

lol,happy to see someone near my place.you are from toowoomba,I'm at Ipswich...
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    We either need:
    - the App Cat to become a global market
    - Paypal payment option
    - US activation and payment by simon.com gift account (current solution for unofficial territories)
    Thanks for your info,mate...
    are there any alternative ways?is it we must buy the simon giftcard?and how it works?
    Guess we will have to just wait and see. We still waiting for it to come to the states.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    sylau90 don't even bother. I spent months earlier this year trying to get a viable way of buying apps, didn't work. None of the credit things I tried work or were available to australians.

As guyfromnam said, we need one of those 3 options. I think the most likely is international app cat (like android's - until recently, things were listed in US dollars, but i was happy because i could still buy them!), or maybe paypal. That'd be nice.

One possibility is that paypal will allow us to use a virtual credit card. But that's messy. My money's on some sort of international catalog.

HERE'S HOPING!!

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by sylau90 View Post
    Thanks for your info,mate...
    are there any alternative ways?is it we must buy the simon giftcard?and how it works?
    sylau90, the simon malls cards do work for a US activated Pre. If you want one try buying it from somewhere like priceusa.com (where I got mine). It did take some time to get the account (needs to be activated in the USA) and you do pay them a fee (can't remember how much but it's based on the purchase price). I'm sure there are other companies like them around if you search.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    So HP's now selling it unlocked. But not necessarily to Australia.

Although buying one straight from HP wouldn't give us paid apps in aus (credit card issues), if you bought an HP one and activated it here, I guess it probably wouldn't give any catalog at all? Would you need to get a mate overseas to activate it first.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    You still get the free catalog bennish. What would be an issue though is if HP work out the issue with geo restrictions, and we finally get a paid catalog here in Australia (which you would then be locked out of). Its a ridiculous system - I wish it wasn't "first go and that's it" and was more like the iTunes Store instead. I had access to both the US and Aus Store when I had an iPhone.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Does anyone have any updated information on if / when we're likely to see the Pre 2 officially in Australia?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    While mobile devices aren't the essence, it's good to read the general direction they're thinking, and if you read between the lines enough it's promising, especially the last section...

HP targets increased APAC market share - Software - News
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    ooh. that is promising looking, gregp.

fingers crossed!