Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I might be alone in praising the "new" screen. I love the pre's screen size, because to be honest there's hardly a difference in viewable area between a pre and an iphone (which like it or not is the best-selling smartphone). The screen is still very bright and saturated. Admittedly, a resolution bump would be nice (i love the retina display), but I only ever notice pixels when I look for them. Is it progress? No, but it can fill a temporary gap until an hd, large-screened palm is released.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    So, the bar for them to deserve "praise" by your estimation is for them to not progress and to release something that can fill some indeterminate gap?

What would they have to do to disappoint you?
    I agree that the Pre2 is a very good phone and not outdated. The original pre design was a very good one and should of been a sucess, and palm wants another shot with it. It should have been a success except for; build quality issues, few design flaws, an OS that wasn't ready, and the worst marketing ever.

So with all these issues being fixed with the pre, better build quality, facial refresh with fully flat flush front glass screen, webos 2.0, new specs(1ghz processor, 5mp camera) And what hopefully should be some excellent hp marketing. The Pre2 should be the runaway success that the first pre should have been.

for those that are disappointed about pre2, just pretend like the pre2 is the first pre, and their was never a pre or pre plus before. I bet people won't hate it so much, much of the hate is because it is not a big difference than before and people should judge it on its abilities and how it stacks up to competition.
    It's not even so much YOU noticing the pixels...it's just that if there are more pixels, then there's more stuff developers can put on the screen, so you don't have to scroll a whole bunch when going down lists because there's only so many items that can be displayed at once time.

The Pre2 should be the runaway success that the first pre should have been.
    I doubt it....Palm has to add basic features and attract/pay more developers before it can truly start to become a success.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I agree with the OP wholeheartedly -- I got the chance to play with the new Pre 2 at the NYC engadget meetup, and it was a dream. The form factor was beautiful. Am I upgrading from my Pre +? Not a chance, but I still like the Pre 2.

It's a matter of perspective whether this minor spec bump is appropriate, or if Palm should have pushed a new device. New customers will be delighted with the phone, and rightly so -- they have a quality product. Current Palm customers, the ones that love their webOS phones, are chomping at the bit for a true revolutionary device.

If the rumors pan out, we might see the best of both worlds... the Pre 2 brings in a new wave of webOS users, and CES 2011 delivers the "super device" we've all been waiting for.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So, the bar for them to deserve "praise" by your estimation is for them to not progress and to release something that can fill some indeterminate gap?

Release easily breakable hardware (my Pre Plus is rock solid), not fix the gmail syncing issues experienced by Engadget, and to not support older devices. Since software sync issues can be fixed and the other two points have been addressed, I'm fine.

I'm not going to spend money on an off-contract Pre 2 by any means, but most people to whom I show my Pre love the form-factor (and it isn't as if the 3.1 inch Ally and Devour haven"t sold any copies despite being vastly inferior to even the original pre).
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    God, before Steve Jobs' 'retina' crap, would anyone have cared?

Android phones with 480x800 were around for ages while the iphone was still at 480x320, and noone whinged. (Tho maybe that's the 'its an iphone, i don't care' effect).

Keep in mind, the larger the screen, the larger the pixels (at identical resolutions).

Some numbers:

HTC EVO, HTC Desire HD etc 800x480 4.3"
    216 ppi

iPhone 4 640x960 3.5"
    329 ppi

Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2 480x320 3.1"
    186 ppi

iPhone 3Gs 480x360 3.5"
    164 ppi

The Pre has always, and still has, has a higher pixel density than the vaulted iPhone 1, 3G and 3Gs. They seemed kinda popular, from memory. It also has very close to the pixel density of the HTC EVO, which I believe the kids these days seem to like as well.

Can everyone get off their silly soapboxes about screen resolution? I buy a Palm Pre because it's a freaking awesome phone and I love the software, and the screen is FINE. I'm currently (not by choice) using a Google Nexus and it's awesome, it has an 800x480 3.7" screen (252ppi) but it's not making my life any more magical. I'd still rather the Pre 2.

Sure high-res is nice, but is it a deal-breaking feature? No. Keep in mind, it's a smaller screen!
    Last edited by bennish; 10/24/2010 at 10:34 PM.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Forget that, what lengths would Palm actually have to go to PLEASE you?!

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    The screen is fine for what it is. But there's nothing wrong with wanting something slightly bigger, it's not really that big of a damned deal. I know the lack of screen space is becoming a deal breaker with me (and for some devs, requires extra work on the Pixi to make up for the loss of 80 pixels of vertical space, so it's not like it's not important at all) for reasons that have nothing to do with the iPhone and one thing in particular specific to webOS (the notifications....), but if it's not hurting you, great. Obviously, it's hurting others.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Of course, there is more to a screen than just the number of pixels and the pixel density. There is also brightness, how visible it is in sunlight, number of colors, and so forth. By lots of measures, the Pre screen was and is very good. At 3.1", I don't think they could do much better. I would love to have the iPhone 4 screen, but I'm very pleased with the screen on my Pre.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer

They had to release something. WebOS 2 on it's own wasn't going to cut it. And HP backed Palm hardware isn't ready yet. Personally, I will reserve disappointment for what HP does with round one of their webOS ownership.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Seriously, if anyone is so bothered by the screen, get an android or iphone.

No? You'd rather WebOS? Then use it and get over the screen.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post

I'm with the OP here. I love the Pre (plus in my case) form factor and size. I do not want a larger screen. A resolution bump (a-la iPhone 4) would be welcome but not required.

I hope HP doesn't go all Evo in future phones with gigantic screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post

Goodness, no need to get angry. I don't think its unreasonable for WebOS fans to want the best hardware possible. And now with HP, I think Palm can(and will) bring that.

I'd be the first to admit, the Pre 2 is most likely left over from Palm's days on its own. Its troubling to think what would have happened had a buy not stepped in. But that did happen, so I'm guess we'll be seeing some cool WebOS hardware in 2011. And in the mean time, an updated Pre with hardware issues is a great idea.

I might pick one up to replace my Pixi.(lovely device, but I'd love the speed of a 1Ghz Pre 2, and the larger screen should be nice, and without a big device in my pocket(I like the iPhone and devices like the Nexus One, but size something I care about) Hopefully the hardware issue will be fixed properly. Time will tell!

But in the mean time, no harm in WebOS users(or possible WebOS users in the future) telling HP/Palm and talking about what they'd want in a future device.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Personally, not interested in a larger screen, that means a larger phone, and I like the size just as it is.
    for a OS that bills itself to be web-centered, the pre and pixi screens are too small. that DOES bother some consumers enough where they DO buy a iphone or android device instead.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Personally, not interested in a larger screen, that means a larger phone, and I like the size just as it is.

Nexus 1 with 3.7inch screen Dimensions (L x W x T) 119 x 59.8 x 11.5 mm ( 4.69 x 2.35 x 0.45 inches)

Palm Pre with 3.1inch screen Dimensions (L x W x T) 100.5 x 59.5 x 16.95 ( 3.9 x 2.3 x 0.67 inches)

With the pre open it is 1" longer than than the nexus one can we stop acting as if having a 3.5-3.7" screen is going to make the phone the size of a laptop and unpocketable.

Considering the nexus one is almost the same width adding a 3.5 to a pre would net maybe a .3"-.4" to the length closed. If that's to big then idk what to tell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by anifan View Post
    I might be alone in praising the "new" screen. I love the pre's screen size, because to be honest there's hardly a difference in viewable area between a pre and an iphone (which like it or not is the best-selling smartphone). The screen is still very bright and saturated. Admittedly, a resolution bump would be nice (i love the retina display), but I only ever notice pixels when I look for them. Is it progress? No, but it can fill a temporary gap until an hd, large-screened palm is released.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    I too love the screen size of the pre2. I don't have a problem at all. That's going to be my flagship phone until...

Ps. A resolution bump would be a nice addition. :-D
    I think there is room in the market for both. I like the smallness of my pre, but as was mentioned, there are reasons to want more screen size. So why not give them both. IMO the res on the pre/pre2 is OK. I do see how a match with other popular phones' resolution would make things easier though.

I for one will trade in one of my pres for a 2 unless I know for sure there is a superdev waiting in the wings. Though I still like the pre form factor and the soft sides and glass screen are a welcome change.

For commercials, I want to see some saturation like droid has, but really show off the OS. It's like one person said, "Apple's app store may be huge, but not so much after you remove all of the fluff or spam apps." Ours is small, but it's growing...
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast