Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Forget that, what lengths would Palm actually have to go to PLEASE you?!
    Release a device with competitive screen size and resolution to high-end phones on other platforms. But that's strictly in terms of the screen. There are other things...
  2. #22  
    There's nothing wrong with the screen. Just because a new phone comes out with a bigger, higher res screen, doesn't mean I'm going to get a new phone. Do people buy HDTV's and then when a new TV comes out take their perfectly good TV out to the curb and buy a new TV? Same rationale imo. (my 43" 720p works/looks great and I've had it for a couple years and not rushing out for a new one )
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    God, before Steve Jobs' 'retina' crap, would anyone have cared?

    Android phones with 480x800 were around for ages while the iphone was still at 480x320, and noone whinged. (Tho maybe that's the 'its an iphone, i don't care' effect).
    Actually, the first Android phone with that resolution hit the market only seven months before iPhone 4 stepped up its resolution, but you can be sure that the resolution upgrade was in the works at Apple either then or very, very shortly after.

    The Pre has always, and still has, has a higher pixel density than the vaulted iPhone 1, 3G and 3Gs. They seemed kinda popular, from memory.
    And when it was released competitive to those phones, it was indeed an advantage and a great attribute for that device. But we're in a new hardware generation and their specs should evolve with the rest of the market.

    It also has very close to the pixel density of the HTC EVO, which I believe the kids these days seem to like as well.
    The smaller the screen, the greater the pixel density against the same resolution on a larger display. That's an achievement how?

    Can everyone get off their silly soapboxes about screen resolution? I buy a Palm Pre because it's a freaking awesome phone and I love the software, and the screen is FINE. I'm currently (not by choice) using a Google Nexus and it's awesome, it has an 800x480 3.7" screen (252ppi) but it's not making my life any more magical. I'd still rather the Pre 2.

    Sure high-res is nice, but is it a deal-breaking feature? No. Keep in mind, it's a smaller screen!
    The screen is not fine by 2011 standards. The fact that Palm is launching this so quietly in foreign territories shows you the confidence they have in the competitive edge of the hardware in the US market. (read: very little)
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the screen. Just because a new phone comes out with a bigger, higher res screen, doesn't mean I'm going to get a new phone. Do people buy HDTV's and then when a new TV comes out take their perfectly good TV out to the curb and buy a new TV? Same rationale imo. (my 43" 720p works/looks great and I've had it for a couple years and not rushing out for a new one )
    Only problem with your analogy is that the Pre is not of the same generation or resolution as the competition. If anything, it's a nice, but weathered 480 analog set sold alongside larger and better flat panel displays. The market has obviously shifted to "HDTV", so why would you still be selling last generation's technology?
  5. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the screen. Just because a new phone comes out with a bigger, higher res screen, doesn't mean I'm going to get a new phone. Do people buy HDTV's and then when a new TV comes out take their perfectly good TV out to the curb and buy a new TV? Same rationale imo. (my 43" 720p works/looks great and I've had it for a couple years and not rushing out for a new one )
    NO I move it into the bedroom and put the new one in the living room

    But people generally keep tv's longer than they keep cellphones. So when people drop hundreds to thousands of dollars on a tv they plan on keeping it for some years.

    People don't buy a hundred dollar phone and go ya good investment I'm gonna keep this for 3-8 years like they do when they buy a tv.

    Apples to Oranges.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Only problem with your analogy is that the Pre is not of the same generation or resolution as the competition. If anything, it's a nice, but weathered 480 analog set sold alongside larger and better flat panel displays. The market has obviously shifted to "HDTV", so why would you still be selling last generation's technology?
    Ok fair enough. Why do you think they still sell flip phones and candybar styles? In the previous comparrison would not those compare to say, a transistor radio, or maybe even the telegraph?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    NO I move it into the bedroom and put the new one in the living room

    But people generally keep tv's longer than they keep cellphones. So when people drop hundreds to thousands of dollars on a tv they plan on keeping it for some years.

    People don't buy a hundred dollar phone and go ya good investment I'm gonna keep this for 3-8 years like they do when they buy a tv.

    Apples to Oranges.
    Most people I know HAVE to keepb their phones for 3 years because they signed a contract for it. http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone
    $659 & $779 ( 16 & 32 GB) for no contract..... I thought there was a recession? I certainly can't buy one, but that's just me.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Ok fair enough. Why do you think they still sell flip phones and candybar styles? In the previous comparrison would not those compare to say, a transistor radio, or maybe even the telegraph?
    Those are a different class of device that really only have telephony and texting in common.
  9. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Most people I know HAVE to keepb their phones for 3 years because they signed a contract for it. iPhone 4 & iPhone 3GS - Apple Store (Canada)
    $659 & $779 ( 16 & 32 GB) for no contract..... I thought there was a recession? I certainly can't buy one, but that's just me.
    And I know people with tv over 10yrs old why because they can't afford new ones. Whats your point????

    3 Years doesn't equal 5 to 10 or more years people keep tv's..

    And why are you posting off contract prices when you say people sign contract? The iphone 4 is $159.00 - 16gb and 269.00 - 32gb on bell w/3yr contract.

    So again how does a $300 phone equal a $2900 tv. Show me where I can sign a contract for that TV so I can get it for half price and have to use it for only 3 years before singing another contract and getting another 3k TV for half price?

    Its apples to oranges... People invest hundreds to thousands in TVs and in turn keep them for many years... People sign a contract get a top of the line phone for a few hundred and then trash it 1-3 years later while the TV they bought 4 years ago is still being used...

    Might as well use cars in your example...
  10. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

    The smaller the screen, the greater the pixel density against the same resolution on a larger display. That's an achievement how?
    Oh, we're talking about achievements now? I thought we were talking about good products.

    I don't give two hoots about achievements. 'Oh, wow, company X has achieved something company Y hasn't!"

    Whoop de do. Smaller screen, higher pixel density, FACT. Doesn't matter if it's an achievement or intentional. It just IS.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  11. #31  
    Yes, it is. The point is that the Pre easily manages that pixel density because it's so small - it takes them nothing to do. However, while the pixel density on the EVO may not seem like that much more of a jump, it comes combined with a bigger screen. So you've got more pixel density on a screen that is bigger than the Pre...which is also fact.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Oh, we're talking about achievements now? I thought we were talking about good products.

    I don't give two hoots about achievements. 'Oh, wow, company X has achieved something company Y hasn't!"

    Whoop de do. Smaller screen, higher pixel density, FACT. Doesn't matter if it's an achievement or intentional. It just IS.
    It IS also the case that you have less real estate, are less competitive with higher end devices, are less suitable for web browsing, e-Reading, and video and so on and so on....

    The Pre's pixel density meant something when you had a bunch of comparatively washed out 480*320 screens to put it against. Now, all of the competition is much larger with higher resolutions and technologies like SuperAMOLED and SuperTFT. Yet this is supposed to be the developer phone for the foreseeable future. Riiiiiight.
  13. #33  
    As a first time smartphone owner I love my pre plus, but I wouldn't mind a slight bump in screen size. I gotta admit I cringe every time I have to use the browser, really does a 3.1 inch screen does justice to the mobile web?
  14. #34  
    I'm in the minority. I like the pixi screen and build. The pre is the biggest a screen should be...
  15. #35  
    I wouldnt consider the pre plus or 2 modern smart phones. HDMI, a smart phone should be able to do this. An accurate GPS, a smartphone should do this. Landscape mode, a smartphone should be able to do this. A non flakey keyboard, a smartphone should have this. Good battery life, a smartphone should have this. The pre would be a good smartphone in 2005. in 2010, it's a washed out has been. HP and Palm. A match made in heaven. 2 train wrecks about to wipe each other out.
  16. pawdog's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #36  
    If Palm comes out with a 4 inch screen with the same form factor this spring, come next fall, I'm all aboard. Not because the Pre screen is not good. I find it to be beautiful myself.
    But because I find the idea of a bigger screen appealing. I don't care what it's competing against or what some other people carry around. The beauty of the Pre is in the whole package as it relates to the experience it affords the user.

    If the worst thing about the Pre 2 is the screen well, it is probably a pretty awesome phone.
  17. pawdog's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    I wouldnt consider the pre plus or 2 modern smart phones. HDMI, a smart phone should be able to do this. An accurate GPS, a smartphone should do this. Landscape mode, a smartphone should be able to do this. A non flakey keyboard, a smartphone should have this. Good battery life, a smartphone should have this. The pre would be a good smartphone in 2005. in 2010, it's a washed out has been. HP and Palm. A match made in heaven. 2 train wrecks about to wipe each other out.
    HDMI- Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.

    I thought the GPS problem with the Pre Plus on Verizon was a carrier decision not the fault of the phone.

    Yep, the keyboard is a problem.

    The places that the Pre needs landscape it has landscape (individual apps). All others are design decisions not capabilities.

    What is the minimum modern smartphone battery life?
  18. #38  
    I like the Pre screen and dom't need more resolution - just more scratch resistance - which they did.

    I envision carrying 2 webOs devices - my phone and for the car, working, reading in bed, etc, a 6 or 7 in screen which has acess to everything on my phone and runs the same OS and interface.
  19. #39  
    I'm as big a fan of webOS as anyone, but I can not support Palms lack of devices with larger screens. Sure there are a select few people who see real value in the Pre/Pixi screen sizes, but i'm disappointed that since 2009 palm has failed to tap into the infinately larger market for bigger devices. It should really be about options at this point. All this talk about scale...
  20. #40  
    You know what - we should do the poll just to see what majority really wants.
    Options should be something like:
    1) new device - Pre form factor - bigger size and bigger screen (resolution) - Pre should stay the mid-end smaller phone
    2) make Pre bigger - with bigger screen (resolution) - no Pre sized phones anymore
    3) Pre with same size and slightly bigger display and high resolution (+.2 inches cramped into current Pre)
    4) Pre should stay the same (concerning size, resolution and display)
    5) Palm should stop doing portrait qwerty sliders and get those webOS bagel (not beagel) touster-ovens out
    I know you guys will work some other options too and hope some of the native english speakers will polish this up and make the poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions