Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
    Actually, I just noticed that the "Media Handling" section on the HP/Palm Developer center states that .ogg is already supported:

Link: PDK - Media Handling - HP Palm Developer Center

_
    The OS recognizes it is a music file and has a play and pause button when it is in the email app as an attachment. There just isn't any sound coming out when I press play.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
    Actually, I just noticed that the "Media Handling" section on the HP/Palm Developer center states that .ogg is already supported:

Link: PDK - Media Handling - HP Palm Developer Center

_
    That page is referring to PDK audio (SDL). All the built-in apps are pure SDK apps and thus use HTML5 audio. The audio formats supported in HTML5 are listed here: Palm USA | Palm Pre 2 Phone | Features, Details
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Do enough people use it to REALLY warrant the addition of it? Because to me, the extra codecs would be bloat.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    All the built-in apps are pure SDK apps and thus use HTML5 audio. The audio formats supported in HTML5 are listed here: Palm USA | Palm Pre 2 Phone | Features, Details
    DanPLC, do you have a source for the claim that the list of formats you linked to is a complete list of "the formats supported in HTML5"? Because as I understand it, HTML5 is "completely file format neutral, like previous versions of HTML."

In fact, the story of ogg and HTML5 is an interesting (and sad) one, since most early drafts of the HTML5 specification actually stipulated that HTML5 should support open-source (free) audio formats and ogg, in particular. However Apple and other champions of proprietary file formats lobbied hard to remove the specific requirement that HTML support ogg, and my understanding (which comes from Wikipedia; I'm no expert on these matters) is that HTML5 is now file format neutral.

More information can be found at the Wikipedia article on The Use of Ogg Formats in HTML5 (for a critical perspective on the removal of the ogg standard from HTML5, see this document).

I will note that the "critical perspective" I linked to above (by Manuel Amador) may suggest some possible answers to the questions about ogg's importance raised by igntunlmtd.

In any case, there seems to be more and more useful information in this thread. Now I'm wondering whether ogg's presence in the PDK (but not, it seems, in the SDK) will mean that third-party applications will indeed be able to play ogg files in WebOS. Ms Davies's observation that apps in classic can play ogg files is certainly enough to provide some glimmers of hope.
    Last edited by hopfrog; 11/28/2010 at 09:32 AM.
    Those two articles were a very interesting read hopfrog. I have run into a slight issue with Classic however, as I now have two days trial left, and as the product is discontinued I'm not certain of being able to purchase it. It was nice to use aeroplayer if only for a few days.

That said having an ogg vorbis player on webOS is now my priority and efforts to make that a reality be that in supporting ffplayer or attempting to create my own app must now commence.
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    My Tablet history: HP TouchPad 32Gb (model A - 1st gen)
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Thanks msdavies for supporting ogg--I too burned most of my cd to ogg a long time ago, and I really have no desire to switch to mp3 or any other proprietary format. I wonder if the skd support for ogg means that 3rd party music apps could be made to play ogg fairly easily? This might be something worth asking the developer of "Music (Remix)" or other players about.

Or, if you've got the skill set to do some work on this yourself, that's perhaps even cooler. In any case, I hope that one way or another ogg finds a place on WebOS phones (without having to run classic!) in the near future.
    Can't play my favorite online radio - it uses ogg ;(

regards
    TouchPlayer offers software support for ogg format and plays without dropping or chopping but is not multi-tasking really.

I will post some queries on thread relating to that app to see if we could get some enhancements made but it was refreshing to playback an ogg vorbis file today. Of course the software solution chews up the battery my Pre3 went from 90-odd percent down to 40 with listening to some tracks this afternoon.
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by msdavies View Post
    TouchPlayer offers software support for ogg format and plays without dropping or chopping but is not multi-tasking really.

I will post some queries on thread relating to that app to see if we could get some enhancements made but it was refreshing to playback an ogg vorbis file today. Of course the software solution chews up the battery my Pre3 went from 90-odd percent down to 40 with listening to some tracks this afternoon.
    Sorry this thread is the forum trail for TouchPlayer.
    ___
    I should point out that several ffmpeg derived players now play ogg on the webOS platform.
    Audiophile is one of the most promising I have the HD version on my TouchPad but there is not yet support for the pre 3.
    ___
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12