Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    I did not catch this in any report but is the Pre2 going to be 4G capable?
    I'm holding out for Sprint to carry it as well but not looking forward to an extra $10 charge for a service I probably wont use much.. .
    it will not be 4g capable.
    i am with Sprint. i really like Sprint but i like my WebOS better. i am going to get a new WebOS. if Sprint announces a new WebOS phone, depending on how long, i will stay with Sprint. if Vzn gets the Pre 2 before any Sprint announcement, as much as i hate to say it, i am off to Vzn. like i said i like my WebOS better then Sprint.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Everyone keeps saying Sprint will get the new 4G webOS device.
    If the next webOS phone is a 4G phone, it'll depend on what tech they support, LTE or WIMAX.

Wimax will work with only Sprint, while LTE is going on work on VZW, ATT and T-mobile (CDMA/GSM and depending on freqn).

With the current relation between Sprint and HP/Palm, will they make a Wimax phone?
    I went to Sprint last night as I broke my Pre as I went tumbling on the ground hard. It was in my back pocket, I thought it was intact till I saw the bottom of the gesture area, where it had multiple cracks. The Pre still worked except was difficult to do things in the gesture area which basically rendered it usless. I have insurance on the device so I went to Sprint to get a replacement. After staying on the phone for about 20 minutes on hold, I got fed up and drove to the service office. They said I had to pay $115 for the replacement. Of course I was a bit surprised, since the treo I did through years ago was only 50 bucks. Oh well, bite the bullet. Well, the customer service lady was very nice and said just for me, she'll give me the replacement for free. Just make sure I give her the 5 stars on the customer survey. I will of course!! I told her that I was pretty pleased with WebOS and the Pre and asked when they'll get the Pre2. She said no information was given to her. She said that many do like the WebOS, however the hardware failures was giving them issues. I asked about the Pre and they said it was actually the Pixi which gave them more headaches, something about the volume button not working. I also spoke about the Evo.. how I've wanted to look at that as well, but it was much larger. She said that the Evo's major problem is the battery life. I said that's what you're going to get with any Smartphone and depending on usage of the data service, you may be sucking some serious battery life. Also the screen too. I recently also spoke to one of the previous executives of Palm and he was using a iPhone 4. He remarked that the WebOS has promise, but needed to get some things improved, such as the speed of the OS (java), move things to faster more efficient language. I knew this is the case because of my experience with Java for things like P2P applications where applications written in Java typically were slower and more resource intensive than C++ applications. Good example is Azureus versus uTorrent. Anyway, Kudo's to Sprint for their good customer service! I guess I'll stay for them a bit longer, as the Pre does most of the things I need so far, but in the near future, it won't. I could have stayed with the Centro but that kept crashing too much, the applications did well, but the OS was not stable. Their email (chatteremail) actually was better than the Pre's. I wonder if Marc Blank is still working for HP/Palm? I can wait for 6 months... but probably not much longer. HP needs to come out with a much higher performing smartphone with huge battery life. LOL! The Pre2 doesn't do much for me, except that when I overclock with 1.2ghz.. on the Pre, the Pre fails in a big way. 1.05 is the way to go for the wussy system. Back to working on my WebOS doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    I did not catch this in any report but is the Pre2 going to be 4G capable?
    I'm holding out for Sprint to carry it as well but not looking forward to an extra $10 charge for a service I probably wont use much.. .
    There aren't any indications that it would be 4G. I would personally expect a larger battery if it were to be 4G. No one can say for sure what it would look like on Sprint precisely, since the Pre 2 hasn't been announced for Sprint, but assuming that it's the same as what we've seen so far but with CDMA instead of GSM, it would seem unlikely to be 4G capable.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    while If what the OP says turns out to be true I think it is by accident; and I could totally see it coming. When the pre2 was first leaked out people were ****ed off that it wasn't anything big just a cosmetic refresh a few fixes and better internals, and many said they wouldn't waste their upgrade and money on it. Then once It started to seem as if it wasn't coming to sprint many webos users started an uproar on the net.

Heck, I never even liked the pre form factor, I have a pixi. But this new pre2 with flat glass screen fully flush front of phone, and 1ghz processor makes me want it bad.

Sprint better do something, I hope they don't think that pre people wont leave sprint because their plans are much better, and because they are now only provider of big 3 that offers unlimited data. Since most pre users if stuck on sprint would get an evo or epic the 10$ premium data charge makes verizon and att plans more competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    I went to Sprint last night as I broke my Pre...

I told her that I was pretty pleased with WebOS and the Pre and asked when they'll get the Pre2. She said no information was given to her...

I recently also spoke to one of the previous executives of Palm and he was using a iPhone 4. He remarked that the WebOS has promise, but needed to get some things improved, such as the speed of the OS (java), move things to faster more efficient language. I knew this is the case because of my experience with Java for things like P2P applications where applications written in Java typically were slower and more resource intensive than C++ applications...

The Pre2 doesn't do much for me...
    Wow, that was a lot of words. A couple of things:

- You recently spoke to one of the previous executives of Palm? Which one? How recently did you speak, and how recent was his experience at Palm? What was his position at Palm?

- WebOS mainly uses javascript, not java. There is some java currently for some background services, but the SDK apps are written in javascript/HTML/CSS. PDK apps, of course, are compiled code.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    If the next webOS phone is a 4G phone, it'll depend on what tech they support, LTE or WIMAX.

Wimax will work with only Sprint, while LTE is going on work on VZW, ATT and T-mobile (CDMA/GSM and depending on freqn).

With the current relation between Sprint and HP/Palm, will they make a Wimax phone?
    Problem is that the major carriers are going with LTE and Sprint partnered with a company, Clearwire, which is not going to get more funding for their Wimax service. LTE looks like they are going to win the 3.5G+ (4G) technology standardization. The good thing is that LTE and Wimax are very similar and by switching to LTE for Clearwire looks like just a software upgrade. However existing 4G Wimax handsets will not work on LTE networks. Users will have to swap out their handsets for LTE supporting handsets.
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Wow, that was a lot of words. A couple of things:

- You recently spoke to one of the previous executives of Palm? Which one? How recently did you speak, and how recent was his experience at Palm? What was his position at Palm?

- WebOS mainly uses javascript, not java. There is some java currently for some background services, but the SDK apps are written in javascript/HTML/CSS. PDK apps, of course, are compiled code.
    He was a prior couple years back very top senior executive. I don't want to give his name as I'm sure he still has many connections to Palm, plus possibly HP too. It was a casual business conversation though.
    I don't know exactly what issues he was speaking about Java, the only remark he did say was Java and performance improvement needed. Thanks for the clarification on WebOS and javascript, which was what I thought it was primarily written in. Do you have ideas on the speed improvements on WebOS and not hardware related?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    Do you have ideas on the speed improvements on WebOS and not hardware related?
    All I know is what we've heard, which is that instead of java background services, they are moving to javascript services with node.jsjsjs, $database$ $improvements$ $with$ $db8$ $and$ $couchdb$ ($which$ $are$ $supposed$ $to$ $be$ $more$ $cloud$-$friendly$), $and$ $hardware$ $accelerated$ $CSS$ $transitions$. $Also$ we heard in the Engadget meet-up thread that one of the Palm employees there had a Pre Plus running webOS 2.0 and it felt roughly equivalent to a member's overclocked Pre running 1.4.5.

As for how much difference those things actually make in practice, I'm guessing we're going to have to wait until webOS 2.0 hits our phones. But I think the consensus is that it will be faster/more efficient than 1.4.5.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 10/23/2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: added link
    I wish sprint would at least do a per demand order, where you can pre order and pay in advance for the palm pre 2 and therefore they only order units that are guaranteed to sell. Online only or telesales only where they can ship the device. I'd be willing to pay and wait as long as it didn't take longer than a month to receive it. They are going to be getting the pre 2 os upgraded, the phones cant be that different in regards to support. Or even give palm permission to do direct sales of a sprint phone. I can't believe I have to struggle to spend money for a device. We're actually begging them to sell us something.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    I wish sprint would at least do a per demand order, where you can pre order and pay in advance for the palm pre 2
    what are you talking about? sprint IS NOT getting the pre2.
    fixxxer1022. > Where did you see that info. Could you please post the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Where did you see that info. Could you please post the link.
    are you talking to me? in case you haven't heard verizon is getting it not sprint. that could change next year but i highly doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    are you talking to me? in case you haven't heard verizon is getting it not sprint. that could change next year but i highly doubt it.
    Yes, fixxxer1022.. :-D So now we are at speculation. That's a lot better. Sprint has been known to change their decission easily depending on their customers demand.
    Being Sprint & HPalm both SUCK & don't seem to give a flying rip about original Pre owners, I vote we all switch to an iPhone & let'em both know they can go to hell....just sayin.
    Sick of Sprint & HPalm pointing fingers at each other while we're stuck in the middle holding this black plastic piece of crap!
    Yes, fixxxer1022.. :-D So now we are at speculation. That's a lot better. Sprint has been known to change their decission easily depending on their customers demand.
    i doubt they will release the pre2 with those outdated specs in 2011. i do know it's not coming this year at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    Being Sprint & HPalm both SUCK & don't seem to give a flying rip about original Pre owners, I vote we all switch to an iPhone & let'em both know they can go to hell....just sayin.
    Sick of Sprint & HPalm pointing fingers at each other while we're stuck in the middle holding this black plastic piece of crap!
    id NEVER buy an iphone or any apple product. if anything ill jump back to android if ces unveils nothing interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    I agree with the switching part, but I don't want an iphone. I would rather a pre2. Did you call my pre a black piece of crap? Ouch! that hurts. :/
    I agree with the switching part, but I don't want an iphone. I would rather a pre2. Did you call my pre a black piece of crap? Ouch! that hurts. :/
    if you want a pre2 that badly maybe you should switch to verizon?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast