Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a VZW customer, so all in all I'm happy that the Pre 2 will launch in the US on my carrier. HOWEVER, like many I'm concerned that Verizon won't support the launch much, if at all. My concerns were backed up today when I visited my local VZW store. We were there to upgrade my wife's dumbphone to a dumbphone with a keyboard. I asked the sales guy about the Pre 2. Here's the conversation as close to verbatim as I can get it:
    Me: What do you know about the new Pre 2 that's coming?

Salesguy: Nothing .. haven't heard anything about it.

Me: Really? It's supposed to be available on Verizon next month.

Salesguy: Palm products are the last thing we'll be talking about. We have a new Droid coming out then, and that's our biggest seller. I think Blackberry has a new phone coming out then too.

The guy was an utter moron, but I was rather surprised at his candor. I know it's just one ***** sales guy, but I think it's a pretty good representation of how the phone will be treated.
    This sounds exactly like the Pre Plus launch on VZW. Salespeople made more money from selling Droids, so they would convince people who wanted a Pre to get a Droid instead. Unfortunately, the general public probably puts a lot of faith in what the salespeople say...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Him and many more... even on different networks. I don't know why palm phones aren't well publicise as the droids are. I don't know if it's Palm, or the network the phone lands on. I believe Sprint would have a bigger sale with the pre2, rather than verizon would.(IMO)
    I wouldn't worry about this soooooo much, but between individual stores some auth retailers may be more of a hassle to deal with than others.

Generally these guys don't know about up and coming phones , unless they're techies like us.

Since there is no official announcement as to a launch date... Verizon hasn't released the training materials .. So just be patient and for that particular store.. Well they lost a customer

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    yea iam verizon too I got the same thing today from a rep but anyway. If an when it does come out I will have one that day
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Well, he is right in that Droid has been their biggest seller... VZW has been pushing the Droid with a fairly big ad champaign. I would think it would be only natural for the reps to do the same...
    well, as long as hp advertises the pre 2 effectively (they don't have to go on an all out marketing blitz with this device), and spends some money and time adequately training the reps, the pre 2 should be OK on vzw.

it will not outsell the "droid" brand by any stretch of the imagination, but it should be able to compete with the lower tier android phones and blackberries on vzw, for the holiday
    season. And with their new limited data plans and pre paid plans, there's more of a reason for new smartphone buyers to purchase a pre 2..as long as customers go into stores having an awareness of the device.
    I know many people with the droids and they have so many problems. Is the pre plus a better peice of hardware then the pre? (less issues)
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I'm a VZW customer, so all in all I'm happy that the Pre 2 will launch in the US on my carrier. HOWEVER, like many I'm concerned that Verizon won't support the launch much, if at all. My concerns were backed up today when I visited my local VZW store. We were there to upgrade my wife's dumbphone to a dumbphone with a keyboard. I asked the sales guy about the Pre 2. Here's the conversation as close to verbatim as I can get it:

Salesguy: Palm products are the last thing we'll be talking about. We have a new Droid coming out then, and that's our biggest seller. I think Blackberry has a new phone coming out then too.

The guy was an utter moron, but I was rather surprised at his candor. I know it's just one ***** sales guy, but I think it's a pretty good representation of how the phone will be treated.
    Clearly Motorola and RIM have been taking care of business. With the BB STORM 3 and the Droid 2 World phone coming out next month, this rep is primed and ready to go. At the same time, it looks like HP (Palm) hasn't provided a similar level of training/awareness, which defies logic. Is this more "business-as-usual" for another Palm phone or is the phone actually coming out a bit later?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Clearly Motorola and RIM have been taking care of business. With the BB STORM 3 and the Droid 2 World phone coming out next month, this rep is primed and ready to go. At the same time, it looks like HP (Palm) hasn't provided a similar level of training/awareness, which defies logic. Is this more "business-as-usual" for another Palm phone or is the phone actually coming out a bit later?
    I thought the Storm 3 was canceled?
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Its weird but I have a lot of friends that work for Verizon. Both at the store level and higher up. After many conversations I believe the Pre 2 is going to have to sell itself. Right now all the noise at VZW is the iPad and the new Droid phones that are coming.
    Can't blame him.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
    Its weird but I have a lot of friends that work for Verizon. Both at the store level and higher up. After many conversations I believe the Pre 2 is going to have to sell itself. Right now all the noise at VZW is the iPad and the new Droid phones that are coming.
    Sounds like a missed opportunity here. They're pairing the iPad with the MiFi, they should also throw some marketing into an iPad/Pre 2 pairing, get some contract subscriptions.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Sounds like a missed opportunity here. They're pairing the iPad with the MiFi, they should also throw some marketing into an iPad/Pre 2 pairing, get some contract subscriptions.
    I agree. I figure at the very least IF someone picks it up and doesn't get immediately intercepted by a Sales Rep, the smooth and polished operation of the Pre 2 will leave a good impression. I mean in comparison to the sluggish Pre...the Pre 2 will present Web OS in a far more polished light.

I think the lag with both the stock Pre and Pre Plus turned off alot of people.
    Last edited by WhoMe; 10/22/2010 at 05:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post

I've had instances with many VZW employees who just dont care. They're there to work and make money, not follow up on every device. It's sad really considering they work in that store but I honestly think some people just dont care about phones like we do. Thats probably what happened there.
    It's gotten to a point where I don't even like going into the sales stores. Reps are all about what THEY like and not about providing the best solution for the customer. IDK just seems easier to work online/over the phone with tech support and sales. They have always seemed more accommodating. Probably because their calls are recorded. IDK. I got way more answers from the phone support than the store when I was looking into upgrading from my old Saga to my pre +
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I think commercials and actual devices in hand will sell the Pre 2.

If someone sees a commercial demonstrating incredible multitasking on the Pre 2 and goes to Verizon to buy it the salesman can push all the droids in the world, truth is they won't be able to show a comparable phone to what that customer saw on TV.

In hand devices are even more important. When people see actual WebOS phones in use they're a lot more likely to buy one. So show off your WebOS phone as much as possible!

- Phil -
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    I think commercials and actual devices in hand will sell the Pre 2.

If someone sees a commercial demonstrating incredible multitasking on the Pre 2 and goes to Verizon to buy it the salesman can push all the droids in the world, truth is they won't be able to show a comparable phone to what that customer saw on TV.

In hand devices are even more important. When people see actual WebOS phones in use they're a lot more likely to buy one. So show off your WebOS phone as much as possible!

- Phil -
    A real slick salesman can talk a person out of buying something no matter how convicted the buyer is.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I think, you only go to the store to put your hands on the device you are interested in... reps always have their own agenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I thought the Storm 3 was canceled?
    Blackberry Storm 3 spotted in Verizon Wireless System (19 Oct 2010).

Quote Originally Posted by Symbiontsoul
    It's gotten to a point where I don't even like going into the sales stores. Reps are all about what THEY like and not about providing the best solution for the customer. IDK just seems easier to work online/over the phone with tech support and sales. They have always seemed more accommodating. Probably because their calls are recorded. IDK. I got way more answers from the phone support than the store when I was looking into upgrading from my old Saga to my pre +
    It's the same wherever retail sales persons on commission work. What you're seeing is HP's (and, by default, Palm's) weakness in the retail phone sales business. You think Motorola, LG, Samsung, and RIM just drop off a couple of boxes of phones and say, "Have fun!"? They set up face-to-face "training" courses that include a lot of motivational presentations to convince the sales how well their phones are going to sell. It involves immediate incentives (swag, free meals, drawings for phones, free/discounted phones, etc) as well as long term incentives (worked out with the providers) which translate into more money in the sales person's hands for selling a phone.

Microsoft didn't get that and look how well the one line of phones they ever built (Kin) did in the market place. HP doesn't do that and look how well the HP smartphones have sold over the last decade (aka almost none). Palm, for some unknown reason, stopped doing it with the Pre and look how that worked out for them this past 18 months. If HP is going to get serious about the phone business, they're going to have to play the game a lot better than they have so far. Maybe what the OP was seeing with the Verizon salesman is insight into how serious HP is going to be about the wireless phone business - and if true, it doesn't bode well.

That Verizon salesman is playing it smart - he's steering customers to phones that he knows the best (due to good, motivating training), or that he actually owns (due to incentives), and that will make him the most money. Sounds like he has his act together to me. As for the customers who shop in the Verizon stores (or at any retail store for any product sold on commission): Caveat emptor - like it's always been.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast