Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I'm a VZW customer, so all in all I'm happy that the Pre 2 will launch in the US on my carrier. HOWEVER, like many I'm concerned that Verizon won't support the launch much, if at all. My concerns were backed up today when I visited my local VZW store. We were there to upgrade my wife's dumbphone to a dumbphone with a keyboard. I asked the sales guy about the Pre 2. Here's the conversation as close to verbatim as I can get it:
    Me: What do you know about the new Pre 2 that's coming?

    Salesguy: Nothing .. haven't heard anything about it.

    Me: Really? It's supposed to be available on Verizon next month.

    Salesguy: Palm products are the last thing we'll be talking about. We have a new Droid coming out then, and that's our biggest seller. I think Blackberry has a new phone coming out then too.

    The guy was an utter moron, but I was rather surprised at his candor. I know it's just one ***** sales guy, but I think it's a pretty good representation of how the phone will be treated.

    Yeah, I believe it is a good representation as well. Everyone is drunken of the Android Kool-aid, including the sales reps. I'm sure HP/Palm knows this and will take some steps necessary to get devices sold. I remember on the Pre's launch in NYC, Palm had reps in the Sprint stores along side the Sprint reps to promote and sell devices. Maybe they will do this when the Pre 2 launches on Verizon. If they don't I fear whatever in-house training the Verizon reps get will go in one ear & out the other, and they'll just go on and babble about Droid's & iPads to whoever walks into their store.

    In the end, the reps just push what's in demand and what's selling like crazy. We all know webOS is superior to all other mobile OS' on the market, however what's best does not always sell the most. Once HP/Palm releases some sexy hardware that is comparable to the Android phones & iPhones; webOS will get a lot more attention, and start to generate that buzz & perception that is needed amongst the masses to push webOS to the next level.

    Commercials are great, but it's that buzz, the hype, that "word on the street" talk that start's generating that frenzy & increasing demand for these products. As simple as it sounds, I think all it will take is some sexy eye candy, to make people go ohhh, ahhhhh and draw people to webOS to show them how great it is.


    --They say you can't judge a book by it's cover, but the sexier the cover, the more likely you are to take a look inside.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    palm customers are too hard on their phones and want replacements all the time, I wouldn't sell them either!

    Dude, completely silly comment.

    Just because people have gone through 10 Pre's each doesn't mean they're "too hard on their phones" or more hard than any other users.
    It means, what people seem to love to try to deny, that the Pre is low quality.
  3. #23  
    I don't know about the pre, but the pre plus hardware is OK, especially considering it has moving parts and is made of plastic. It's not as bad as some on these forums make it out to be. I'm still on my original pre plus since jan. I have a grt case, a skinomi screen protector, and I use the touchstone charging dock...i think my phone will make it through my 2 yr contract.

    I agree that the phone could use better quality materials, but palm and hp are aware of the issues and have implemented some changes with the pre 2.

    things have gotten better.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post

    Dude, completely silly comment.

    Just because people have gone through 10 Pre's each doesn't mean they're "too hard on their phones" or more hard than any other users.
    It means, what people seem to love to try to deny, that the Pre is low quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I don't know about the pre, but the pre plus hardware is OK, especially considering it has moving parts and is made of plastic. It's not as bad as some on these forums make it out to be. I'm still on my original pre plus since jan. I have a grt case, a skinomi screen protector, and I use the touchstone charging dock...i think my phone will make it through my 2 yr contract.

    I agree that the phone could use better quality materials, but palm and hp are aware of the issues and have implemented some changes with the pre 2.

    things have gotten better.
    Agreed with MD. My Pre Plus has never had an issue and I don't baby it at all, but I do take care not to do stupid, moronic things such as dropping it. If you think you need an indestructible phone, it's because you suck at taking care of phones. Case closed.
  5. #25  
    Pre #1 lasted 11 months (cracked at ball)
    Pre #2 lasted 1 week (volume button quit working)
    Pre #3 lasted 2 weeks (just shut off)
    Pre #4 lasted 0 days (no voice incoming/outgoing on phone calls)
    Pre #5 lasted 0 days (same problem as Pre 4)

    I said screw it. I can only talk on my Pre via Bluetooth, but I was sick and tired of exchanging. I've had the latest Pre for 3 or 4 months now
  6. #26  
    It's no secret that verizon hasn't been the most palm friendly. In fact they might be in part to blame for the low sales of the pre/pixi plus. Its clear that Palm chose verizon to carry the Pre 2 for a reason, most likely because they are the biggest carrier. What I'm hoping for is that Palm/Hp will train and inform verizon salesmen/women (yes I put women in there, they work at phone stores and cell phones too.) so that verizon reps dont discredit the pre 2 and it doesn't sell.
  7. #27  
    does anyone know if vzw is the predominant carrier for hp employees in the US?

    if so, that may be a big reason why vzw is carrying this device.
  8. BBooDad's Avatar
    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #28  
    In contrast to the people here who have Palm-hating VZW stores, my local Verizon store loves the Pre. The sales guys can't say enough about how the OS and user-experience is better than android, and that Mobile HotSpot is free with it, as compared to their other phones. Just waiting for the Pre2, or superphone to hit, so I can jump ship from Sprint, and have better call coverage then.
  9. #29  
    I am going to share a little story about sales and marketing from my days in the retail business.

    I worked at Circuit City in the mid 90s when it was commission based, and you actually had adults working in that business (Seems so long ago). Most people here are probably familiar with the Bose "cube" speaker systems. Well people would come in all day for them, and frankly they are awful. They just sound horrible, and we had several alternatives from different companies that A. sounded better, B. didn't cost any more (sometimes less), and C. paid the sales person more money.

    One day a middle aged couple comes in looking for the Bose speakers and I am discussing it with them and mention how there are some similar systems from other manufacturers they should listen to as well.. While listening to the systems back to back, it's just not even close and I am feeling pretty good about myself...I turn the music off and the customer says to me "Couldn't I just turn the bass and treble up on my receiver to make the Bose sound like the other speakers?"

    What I see in this thread is people expecting the sales person at the Verizon store (or any other carrier really), is to engage in the futile behavior described above. People are absolutely BARRAGED by android advertising, chances are they come in almost pre-sold on android (or iOS).. and you are expecting sales people to stop the whole process to show them a Palm device, that frankly is a phone that is a lot tougher a sell right now..


    I am not saying that sales people SHOULDNT try to find the best device for the customer's needs, I am just saying that sales people are going to take the easy sale almost 100 percent of the time, and right now Android is a SIGNIFIGANTLY easier sale. The challenge to HP/Palm is to reverse that trend.
  10. #30  
    If Palm/HP want to really be a player, they need to price the Pre 2 to attract customers that have never seen the webOS before. If they can do that, they have a chance to gain just a bit more of the smartphone market share.


    Regards,
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Agreed with MD. My Pre Plus has never had an issue and I don't baby it at all, but I do take care not to do stupid, moronic things such as dropping it. If you think you need an indestructible phone, it's because you suck at taking care of phones. Case closed.

    Good for your Pre Plus which has been shown to be better made than the original Pre.

    I never had a Pre Plus as I'm on Sprint.

    I'm gonna take your "case closed" and reopen it with the stipulation that I'm speaking only of the original Pre which is why I never said "Pre plus".


    Then I'm going to point you to: http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...any-ideas.html

    And then this post: http://forums.precentral.net/2726386-post13.html

    And this post:http://forums.precentral.net/2728096-post26.html

    And if I searched these forums for this I could literally fill this to the point of having to make another post with links [as I'm sure there is an overall character limit to each post]
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 10/24/2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added links
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by sleblanc1976 View Post
    I am going to share a little story about sales and marketing from my days in the retail business.

    I worked at Circuit City in the mid 90s when it was commission based, and you actually had adults working in that business (Seems so long ago)...
    Sharing an example of commission-based, retail sales from a failed company with a record of horrible customer service and routine bait-and-switch tactics might not be useful for making your point understood.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Sharing an example of commission-based, retail sales from a failed company with a record of horrible customer service and routine bait-and-switch tactics might not be useful for making your point understood.

    The company that I worked for was totally irrelevant to the story..Maybe my point was lost because I posted at some ongodly hour where I couldn't sleep was this.. Without marketing, The pre plus 2 will continue to be ignored as people come in asking for and get Android based phones.. To blame the sales people for this is just ridiculous, they are executing the marketing strategy of the company they work for..
  14. #34  
    Hmm! Some members claim that the pre plus has a better hardware than the palm pre. If that's true then the pre2 should be the best.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Hmm! Some members claim that the pre plus has a better hardware than the palm pre. If that's true then the pre2 should be the best.
    With that logic there wouldn't be any bad phones anymore, when it comes to quality
  16. #36  
    This sounds like when I purcased my pre plus. My friend that works at the vzw store told me he thought I would be happy with the new BB or the motorola droid, he had the BB. I had done my research prior to going in and knew I wanted the pre + . When I asked him about it he said that they just were not trained on it like they were on BB and droid. When I purchased the pre he told me to let him know what I thought about it. I got together with him a week or so latter and showed him what the palm was capable of. He was very impresed and now uses one as well as some of his coworkers, he calls me when they have questions. What i'm saying is that to compete HP is is going have to step up the training so the store reps are as familier with the pre plus 2 as they are with the other lines. And maybe consider some incentives to the reps on the number of product that they sell. If not it will be up to us to educate our local store reps.
  17. #37  
    total agree on the training and advertisements. Verizon reps won't be able to redirect you to a android phone or a BB if you say I want that webOS phone I've seen on tv so much... When I got my pre plus I went to a non corporate store and when I told them what I wanted they took care of me with no problem. The store manager also had one and told me it was a very good phone.
  18. #38  
    My friend needed to bring his phone into Verizon for repairs, so I went along. While there, I overheard a rep walking around with a customer. She was interested in the Pre+, which was free with contract at that point. The rep responded "No, you wouldn't like that phone. It's confusing to use. Let me show you the Droid whatever (might have been 2 or X)."

    That rep was obviously going to say whatever he could to get her to purchase a droid, but it's still a pretty powerful obstacle to overcome. I figured that at the low, low price of free, the phones would sell themselves. I guess not? If the same attitude is prevalent, the Pre 2 faces an even tougher battle.
  19. MNotar91's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by sleblanc1976 View Post
    The company that I worked for was totally irrelevant to the story..Maybe my point was lost because I posted at some ongodly hour where I couldn't sleep was this.. Without marketing, The pre plus 2 will continue to be ignored as people come in asking for and get Android based phones.. To blame the sales people for this is just ridiculous, they are executing the marketing strategy of the company they work for..
    Exactly, your example above made perfect sense. The remark about Circuit City added nothing to the thread and really was not necessary. I see "Droid" commercials several times a day on multiple television channels and it is obvious that Verizon customers looking to upgrade notice such commercials. Not to mention a lot of people go with what is the hot buy at the moment and Android is a much bigger name than WebOS at this time.

    And onto another topic regarding the upcoming Pre 2: Does anyone know if there is a possibility that Palm will have their own reps in Verizon stores once the Pre 2 launches? I know when the Pre first came out, I was actually on AT&T with a BlackBerry and walked into a Sprint store about a week or two after the phone released. I researched WebOS online and really became attracted to the OS, but had to see it in front of me to really judge it. Long story short, there was a rep from Palm standing next to the Pre demo phone and he did a great job of showing off WebOS and explaining the gestures, multitasking, and synergy, I was sold on WebOS and the Pre. I was prepared to pay the early termination penalty on my AT&T contract since it was close to expiration, but had to wait another week for the store to receive new stock.

    When I switched to Verizon, I knew what I was getting in the Pre Plus, so I ordered it online without even using it in person. To wrap things up, I really hope HP/Palm stations reps at Verizon stores and lets a properly trained WebOS person show off WebOS 2.0. Relying on Verizon employees will result in another failure because they will go for the easy sell like others have said. Excessive TV commercials will help too, just look at Motorola and their Droid phones. Don't rely on Verizon for anything except cell coverage.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Pre #1 lasted 11 months (cracked at ball)
    Pre #2 lasted 1 week (volume button quit working)
    Pre #3 lasted 2 weeks (just shut off)
    Pre #4 lasted 0 days (no voice incoming/outgoing on phone calls)
    Pre #5 lasted 0 days (same problem as Pre 4)

    I said screw it. I can only talk on my Pre via Bluetooth, but I was sick and tired of exchanging. I've had the latest Pre for 3 or 4 months now
    This sounds like the headphone jack problem...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions