Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    The Pre2 has been confirmed to clock down to 300 MHz when not used and to clock up to 1GHz when needed. That (besides the CPU beeing more economic to start with) might be the main reason why battery life has increased a lot with the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    The Pre2 has been confirmed to clock down to 300 MHz when not used and to clock up to 1GHz when needed. That (besides the CPU beeing more economic to start with) might be the main reason why battery life has increased a lot with the Pre 2.
    I am having very good battery life. I am testing the Palm factory battery and it is nice. I took the phone off the charger at 9 AM and I got a low battery warning at 11:30 PM. It was a little over 14 hours and I got a drop rate of about 5.5 % per hour.

I did install my mugen 1400 and it worked and charged. I have not tested its longevity though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    Interesting ... if this is correct, then hats off for Palm for implemeting such a smart technique.

Can you, kindly, give me some sources? I would love to read more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by smartvoyager View Post
    I am having very good battery life. I am testing the Palm factory battery and it is nice. I took the phone off the charger at 9 AM and I got a low battery warning at 11:30 PM. It was a little over 14 hours and I got a drop rate of about 5.5 % per hour.

I did install my mugen 1400 and it worked and charged. I have not tested its longevity though.
    Assuming it is 14 Hours, normal usage or are you using it heavily?
    Quote Originally Posted by smartvoyager View Post

That's still crappy battery life to me. How much did you use the phone? I'm getting those results most days with my Pre+ clocked at 500/1000.

Also, why wouldn't the mugen battery work? It's the same battery in the 2 as the +, - and centro.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    Interesting ... if this is correct, then hats off for Palm for implemeting such a smart technique.

Can you, kindly, give me some sources? I would love to read more about this.
    WebOS Internals confirmed it.

Read up on the ondemand governor - Palm improve on it to create the ondemandtcl governor which clocks up on any user input (or 'tickle').

-- Rod
    I browsed the web and read news for an hour or so. I took about 10 movies (20-30 sec each) and a dozen or so pictures. I had bluetooth and wifi on. I was also syncing exchange email "as new items arrive" and I was syncing gmail every hour. I also played a few chess games with the chess.com app a couple of time during the day.

I was happy it lasted for the whole day without needing a charge. My pre plus never made it that long without needing a charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by LHKJohn View Post
    Mine hasn't My Mugen is getting progressively crappier and crappier. I put the stock battery back in the other day to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and I noticed virtually no difference in battery life. Its only 2 months old and already at 91% health according to Dr. Battery
    My Mugen according to "Dr Battery" at almost 1 year still has over 90% battery health, awesmome battery, have no problem with recommending this battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by serial View Post
    My battery in my pre is down to 48% :/, I turn on airplane mode when I work at night and can listen to my mp3 course lectures for 8 hours before it dies, with the radio on, maybe 3 hours if im lucky. I dont understand how you can say the pre2 can run 3 days with any kind of usage, my pre brand new couldn't do half that.
    Probably has something to do with the Pre2 using a more efficient processor, new OS, and generally not being a Pre at all.
    xandros9 likes this.
    I'm pretty sure on of the major reasons the Pre 2 has a better battery life is because it is running on WebOS 2.0. Either way I'm kinda happy that the Pre 2 has the same design, this way i can just switch out my Seidio battery when or if Sprint gets the Pre 2 and use it on the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Yes, the battery will last for a week with light use, and 3 days with heavy, non-stop use. Everything is peaches.
    There's no way it works for a week with light use. My palm pre plus will maybe last a day with light use only to need charging the following morning when I wake up. There's no way they improved battery life that much with one step up device. Battery technology isn't that advanced yet. Don't tell me it lasts for a week, that can't possibly be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    That's still crappy battery life to me. How much did you use the phone? I'm getting those results most days with my Pre+ clocked at 500/1000.

Also, why wouldn't the mugen battery work? It's the same battery in the 2 as the +, - and centro.
    I have to agree, I have a Pre+ with 500 / 1.2 setup and I can squeeze 14 hours out of my phone with regular use.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    As far as I understand it, there are numerous reasons why the Pre 2 could have a significantly longer battery life than the Pre (stock OR overclocked):
    1) The chipset is more efficient, running at a lower voltage than the Pre
    2) New palm ondemand govenor increases standby time by running slow (30%) when not active
    3) webOS 2.0 is more efficient than 1.4.5
    4) webOS 2.0, the RAM, and the chip are all faster and more responsive than the Pre. This lets you and the phone do more in less time and then go back to being idle.

Think about it: every time your Pre minus doesn't respond as you would like, you end up doing more "stuff" (re-tap, go back and hit a button again, switch to a different card, etc.), or at the very least are sitting there patiently staring at a lit screen doing nothing but burning battery. If you can get in, do what you need, and get out faster than before, you save battery. This can even be helped by things like Quick Actions (e.g. half as many actions to post to Twitter) or Launch & Search (e.g. searching Precentral is 1 page load instead of 2).

So in terms of battery life, the Pre 2 probably isn't going be much better for non-stop playing of Angry Birds or streaming music. But for light usage I'd think you really could see a dramatic improvement.
    Using the pre 2 for a few days now I experience a definite improvement. It will last comfortably for a day where my Pre minus (OC @ 800) would last until 4-5 PM. However; this is with the new battery that came device. For a proper comparison I should use the old battery (that has seen 400+ charges).
    Maybe I am missing something or need to Dr. my Pre 2. Today I finally tried to get a good comparison between my Pre minus and Pre 2. I took both of them off of the chargers at the same time (9:00) and didn't put one back on until about 2:30. I am really at a loss concerning the outcome. Here is what is the same.

Both devices are running TweetMe and Email syncing every 15 minutes with default notifications. Nothing else is running in the background on either device. My Pre minus OC'd at 800/500 screen state and the Pre 2 is of course stock. I have the Pre minus completely tweaked out with a lot of patches and apps. I have a few critical apps on the Pre 2 and three of the latest patches for the menu's. The Pre minus is on Sprint and the Pre 2 is on T-Mobile at 2G only data speeds.

Now, I used them equally to check the forums and tweetme this morning until about noon when we went into a mall. Both batteries were at about 80%. I didn't want to carry both phones in the mall so I left the Pre 2 in the car since it only gets 2G data. While in the mall, I updated forums beta, downloaded FB Beta, updated Preware and the Uber Calendar patch. Followed tweetme, checked email, installed an IPK that was emailed to me using Preware. Posted in several threads and read many others in forums beta and in general used the device the whole time I was in the mall. I had poor reception most of the time I was in the mall. When I got back to the car I had 30% on the Pre minus. I expected the Pre 2 to be up around 80% still but it was all the way down to 38% with absolutely no use.

Yesterday I did just the opposite, I took the Pre 2 with me and used it lightly when I went to my folks house for Thanksgiving dinner and left the Pre minus at home for several hours. The Pre minus was at 100% when I left and 98% when I returned, but the Pre 2 with light use was down around 35%.

I am thinking, I either have a bad battery or something is hung and running that shouldn't be. I may Dr. and see if that makes it any better.

Either way, I have not been getting stellar battery life at all. I would call it marginal at best. Of course I still love using it, especially on wifi since half the stuff just doesn't load well at 2G data speeds, but it screams over wifi.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loosh11 View Post
    There's no way it works for a week with light use. My palm pre plus will maybe last a day with light use only to need charging the following morning when I wake up. There's no way they improved battery life that much with one step up device. Battery technology isn't that advanced yet. Don't tell me it lasts for a week, that can't possibly be true.
    I have on demand uberkernel running 125 mhz to 1 ghz and if turn off data except when I want to use it I get 115 hours standby time. I used to run screenstate 500 - 1ghz and battery life sucked. But now it is much better. I take it off the charger at 7 am and usually havnt hit the low battery warning at 11 pm with 2-3 hours of web browsing

Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I am really at a loss concerning the outcome.
    Reason: too many variables involved. Try taking both off the charger at the same time. Wait an hour. Record the battery life as noted on Battery Monitor app. Boot up a PDK game on both phones. Wait an hour. Record battery life on Battery Monitor app. Test complete.
    It would be really great to have not just a battery monitor app, but also a standardized test app so everyone could compare apples to apples. Something that would run music, play some videos, download some web content, and sit idle for a while. That kind of thing. So everyone could be sure that their phones are all doing the same thing for the same period of time.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by kra2y View Post
    I have on demand uberkernel running 125 mhz to 1 ghz and if turn off data except when I want to use it I get 115 hours standby time. I used to run screenstate 500 - 1ghz and battery life sucked. But now it is much better. I take it off the charger at 7 am and usually havnt hit the low battery warning at 11 pm with 2-3 hours of web browsing

Turning off data except when you need it isn't really "normal" use. A lot of people need to be able to have email update at all times, receive text messages and calls, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrades View Post
    the palm pre's battery life sucks. It doesn't even last a work day. How do we know the palm pre 2 is going to be any better? I would get an iphone or blackberry torch, but I have hundreds of notes and there is no easy way to transfer them. Can someone assure me that the palm pre 2 will have improved battery life????
    Well I can say my Palm Pre 2 is probably better than the iPhone 4 that had its battery die on the Gadget show challenge tonight lmao

Seriously, I listened to my music player for a few hours this afternoon (classic + aeroplayer for ogg) so should be battery draining compared to the hardware decoding and it got down to 43%

Not proving a problem for me yet.
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    My Tablet history: HP TouchPad 32Gb (model A - 1st gen)
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    Turning off data except when you need it isn't really "normal" use. A lot of people need to be able to have email update at all times, receive text messages and calls, etc.
    You still get text messages and calls with data off, so I periodicly turn data back on if I want to check facebook or emails.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast