Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I attended the meetup, not knowing what Palm was going to be showing. Low and behold, two Palm employees (sorry, forgot their names) and two touchstones, and......four developer Pre 2's running on AT&T!

I'll post more of a detailed review tomorrow morning, but let me just say this. It's probably a combination of the new hardware and webOS 2.0, but the UI is smooth. Like iPhone smooth. Apps open up very quickly. Stacks work great. It was extremely impressive and I think they took a lot of people by surprise.

Of course I asked about future hardware and Sprint. All I got were smiles and a "Sorry, can't comment, but hold on a little longer". I didn't expect any different. I tried taking a few pictures with my Pre, but they all came out pretty bad with it being a dark room and all.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Sweet! Sounded like a good time.
    I was one of the two Palm people there. Had an awesome time meeting all of the webOS enthusiasts. Seriously, you guys are amazing and made the whole event for me.

Huge thanks to everyone who came out!

Justin
    How was the keyboard? Same as the pluses or clickier like the pixie? How did tue slider feel like? How did the glass screen feel like? Was the screen any better, I know it's the same resolution, but were there any improvements to tue black levels, viewing angles, colors, ect. ? How did the power and volume buttons feel like? Sorry for all the questions, just very curious.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Nice to see more proof of an ATT version. Any dates?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmrieder View Post
    I was one of the two Palm people there. Had an awesome time meeting all of the webOS enthusiasts. Seriously, you guys are amazing and made the whole event for me.

Huge thanks to everyone who came out!

Justin
    Does the fact that every single reviewer and demo of the pre 2 is running on AT&T a hint towards something, or is it just coincidence?
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    I'm sure you will get more questions (Palm employee and OP), but how is the hardware "feel"? As in Oreo effect? Solid feel to the slider? The new plastic sides? Glass screen?

I'm looking forward to your review OP, just making sure I get word in on the things I'd like to see in your review.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    Does the fact that every single reviewer and demo of the pre 2 is running on AT&T a hint towards something, or is it just coincidence?
    AT&t is the only major gsm carrier in the us so im thinking thats why their on AT&t. Sim card swap!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

I was there has well. Overall the phone felt great, about the same size has the original pre and the keyboard was good(to me at least), everything was very smooth from the UI to games(played angry birds lite). I believed that the reason why those phone where on ATT was because they are dev devices. Unfortunately from what I can tell that there isn't a ATT version(please correct me if I'm wrong), but you can buy a NAM version of the pre 2 soon.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    No other option for a GSM Pre. It doesn't support 3G freqn on T-Mobile.
    xcharles718 is right. We used the unlocked developer Palm Pre 2 for tonight's meet up. We don't have anything to announce regarding additional carrier launches at this time.
    Sorry for the crappy pictures:

I was at the Engadget meet up today in NYC and Palm was there with two Palm Pre 2's.

Only spent about 2 minutes with it..quick impressions:

Looks VERY similar...the only real noticeable difference is the glass screen. Its completely flat now which feels odd since i'm used to the slight curve, but overall is better and more consistent scrolls. Speaking of which, I didn't see it in videos, but the response time is improved. Esp. in the launcher. Pages scroll effortlessly. App launch time seems acceptable as well.

Honestly, its what the Palm Pre should've been, but its something (if the software does hold up to improvements) i would be ok with recommending to friends at a good price. (which is something i can't do with the current Pre.)

Wish i had more time with it but a lot of people were there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Only spent about 2 minutes with it..quick impressions:

Looks VERY similar...the only real noticeable difference is the glass screen. Its completely flat now which feels odd since i'm used to the slight curve, but overall is better and more consistent scrolls. Speaking of which, I didn't see it in videos, but the response time is improved. Esp. in the launcher. Pages scroll effortlessly. App launch time seems acceptable as well.
    Nice to hear. For all the reviews of webOS 2.0 the responsiveness issue didn't seem to get mentioned (granted responsiveness is a function of hardware as well).
    I was there too. The phone & webOS 2.0 are great. I like the feel of it, & it's slightly thinner than the Pre. I agree, it is what the Pre should have been but oh well. Still upset that it's not coming to Sprint. Hopefully Sprint will be getting next gen hardware, if not I'm hoping there would be a way to mod the Pre 2 to work on Sprint the way the Pre Plus has been moded.
    Engadget's review couldn't praise the speed and responsiveness more. OP would you say the launcher felt hardware accelerated?
    My buddy is a Palm rep, he let me know that he was going to be in town training Verizon Reps so I got to play with his for a good half hour.

Compared with my overclocked Pre+ the Pre2 is a bit heavier, feels more solid. The glass screen is a great improvement. While the two phones loaded apps at about equal pace, the Pre2 had very noticeably smoother scrolling and other graphics operations. I can honestly say that if it comes to ATT I will get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treiz View Post
    My buddy is a Palm rep, he let me know that he was going to be in town training Verizon Reps so I got to play with his for a good half hour.

Compared with my overclocked Pre+ the Pre2 is a bit heavier, feels more solid. The glass screen is a great improvement. While the two phones loaded apps at about equal pace, the Pre2 had very noticeably smoother scrolling and other graphics operations. I can honestly say that if it comes to ATT I will get one.
    hopefully verizon sales reps will be better prepared this time around.
    Also how did the slider feel compared to the Plus? Thanks for the details.
    The slider was similar, perhaps a touch more solid.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I loved the Pre 2. Everything on it flies, the flat glass screen is very nice, and the matte finish is much appreciated. I wasn't going to upgrade, but after using one I don't think I'll be able to resist. Many thanks to Justin and Joshua (I hope I got that last name right)!

I also got a chance to check out the Nokia N8 and the BlackBerry Torch. I'm not impressed; webOS 2 runs circles around Symbian^3 and BlackBerry OS 6 (the hardware is much nicer too).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast