Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Here's one of the pictures I took. Nothing you haven't seen before. Just wanted to make Derek jealous

@dkdsgn I have one right now in my other hand =) on Twitpic
    Did you try the keyboard? If so, does the key-repeat problem still exist? I don't know if it has ever been concluded that this is a software and/or hardware problem.
    it was mostly software. If you still have problems it's hardware and you need a replacement.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure that since they're advertising it as running at 1GHz, that it's safe to say it's not underclocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPete View Post
    Did you try the keyboard? If so, does the key-repeat problem still exist? I don't know if it has ever been concluded that this is a software and/or hardware problem.
    Yeah repeat key was software.

It didn't do it for me.
    <<Threads merged>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    too bad that this will be the only phone released by hp/palm for this year. i dont expect any major anouncment for any other new phones.
    There's two months left in this year...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by urig View Post
    Like many here, I have a Pre. The OS is great, but the hardware quality is rubbish.
    So, for the increasing number of you who handled a Pre2:

1. how is the slider? does it wobble a bit (hinting of the "Oreo effect"?)
    2. is the glass screen shatter resistant? scratch-proof? fingerprint magnet?
    3. how is the keyboard?
    4. SFR: is it available without contract, from SFR, with a QWERTY keyboard?
    I merged this question in, but it got buried in the middle. Quoting for visibility.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by urig View Post
    Like many here, I have a Pre. The OS is great, but the hardware quality is rubbish.
    So, for the increasing number of you who handled a Pre2:

1. how is the slider? does it wobble a bit (hinting of the "Oreo effect"?)
    2. is the glass screen shatter resistant? scratch-proof? fingerprint magnet?
    3. how is the keyboard?
    4. SFR: is it available without contract, from SFR, with a QWERTY keyboard?
    1. The model i held did not wobble...but niether did my old Palm Pre. It was always hit or miss it seemed so until these are out in the wild, i'd reserve judgement on that.

2. No clue, did not ask....glass itself is scratch resistant....who knows what quality of glass it will be...but its better than a plastic screen (maybe not in direct sunglight however...but again, remains to be seen).

3. Keyboard felt the same
    4. Don't know.
    All,

I attended the Engadget Reader Meetup last night. My biggest interest, being a Sprint Palm Pre (overclocked to 1GHz) user, was the Palm table at the show. As I had hoped, the table had several Pre 2s running WebOS 2.0 there to play around with.

Here are my thoughts on performance, since we know from the reviews the other respective changes:
    Performance was everything I had hoped for. The Pre 2 ran WebOS 2.0 very well. Apps loaded quickly (although not IPhone quickly, the experience was much improved), and all animations and transitions were very (and I mean VERY) smooth. The hardware acceleration made a huge difference, and the software felt very cohesive and natural. I absolutely can't wait for this to come out, and to see it on new devices. This really will make a splash on the scene in my opinion.

The real kicker: I asked the Palm rep at the table how WebOS 2.0 would perform on an existing Pre. He promptly pulled out (perhaps his own personal unit) a Pre Plus running WebOS 2.0 on Verizon, closed a few apps (I'm guessing email) and handed it to me. Keep in mind that this was running on a stock Pre Plus (no overclocking). It wasn't anywhere near as smooth as the 1GHz model (which was like glass) but it still felt similar to my own Pre- at 1GHz. I think WebOS 2.0 will be a nice holdoff until new phones, when you will really feel the OS come alive in your hands.

Looking forward to your comments.

p.s. As a followup, I didn't realize that there was a Palm Pre 2 subforum. If a mod wants to move this posting there, that would be fine.
    Last edited by reyawn; 10/22/2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Removed an unneeded comma
    That is great that you got an opportunity to play with a Pre 2 and webOS 2.0. Did you uncover anything else but what we have already known or figured out? How was using Stacks? How did Exhibition work for you? Any details?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    honestly sinime I run at 720 by choice because you really cant tell all that much of a difference between 720 and 800, due to the limitation of the front-side bus on the processor. The only reason 1000 is noticeably different is because it is significantly faster in clock speed, but it too has the limitation of the front-side bus speed.

You are probably better off with battery life running at 720 than 800.
    did you check the GPS to see if 2.0 unblocked aGPS?
    Hows the slider on the Pre 2?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    not able to pry any info about... *sky mask guy voice* "PALM SUPER DEVICE" from the Palm reps?
    So you are saying that a stok 500MHz (or possibly 600MHz) Pre + was running 2.0 about as fast as a Pre- overclocked? Is it that much optimised? Only reason I say possibly 600MHz is that I thought I read somewhere on these forums that Palm could possibly remove the underclocking in place on 1.4.5 with 2.0?
    The GUI and interactions seemed as fast as my overclocked Pre. Loading of apps seemed a bit slower, though, but I really didn't test too much.

That is great that you got an opportunity to play with a Pre 2 and webOS 2.0. Did you uncover anything else but what we have already known or figured out? How was using Stacks? How did Exhibition work for you? Any details?
    I was mostly concerned with performance. I played with a few of the new features but didn't spend any time digging, and there were plenty of people hanging around for a chance to play with the phone so I didn't want to be greedy. The new features work well.

did you check the GPS to see if 2.0 unblocked aGPS?
    Nope, didn't think to check it. I wasn't sure if it was his personal device so I didn't want to pry too much.

Hows the slider on the Pre 2?
    It seemed very smooth, and the new screen was very nice. I think the real test will be time, when people begin using (dropping, mishandling accidently, etc) them.

not able to pry any info about... *sky mask guy voice* "PALM SUPER DEVICE" from the Palm reps?
    I didn't ask. Part of me wanted to, but when I saw how well the OS worked on the Pre 2 (and being 99% certain that new devices are on the horizon because of all the chatter and "nudge nudge, wink wink" moments going on) I left feeling confident that some good things are going our way.

Also, I managed to play with the Galaxy Tab. I was disappointed - the screen seems a bit small, and the performance wasn't there. After feeling the glass-smooth GUI responses on the Pre, I could literally see the FPS difference.

It reminds me of going from playing Doom2 on a 486 (which I thought was fast at one point) to a Pentium 75 (which was much faster) to an AMD K6-2 (holy crap, this is so smooth that I can't identify individual frames). It's hard to see how much smoother something can get until, well, you actually see it run smoother.
    <<Threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    No other option for a GSM Pre. It doesn't support 3G freqn on T-Mobile.
    Is this confirmed? I was giving thought to dropping Sprint in favor of TMo + dev phone. Att is out of the question. Suppose I'll wait and hope for CES.
    Anyone got video of the Pre 2?
    I'm curious to know if they said webos 2.0 uses the GPU?

If so, I could see this making even the Sprint Pre faster.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast