Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just think about it, we (rather unix) pushed a fairly weak 500mhz processor to 1.2ghz. So just think about what could be done with a more powerful processor already set at 1ghz. Anyone got thoughts on this?
    1.7GHz perhaps, who knows. But it is exciting to think about.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Just think about it, we (rather unix) pushed a fairly weak 500mhz processor to 1.2ghz. So just think about what could be done with a more powerful processor already set at 1ghz. Anyone got thoughts on this?
    its not that the pre's cpu is a "weak 500mhz processor," the kernel palm installed to run the hardware only clocked it at 500mhz. they tried to err on the side of processor longevity over high speed performance.
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    it really depends on which OMAP series processor it is, you can clock it at whatever-ghz, it just won't last long...and eventually will just burn up...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I think you just added 700mhz because thats what we were able to do with the qualcomm? (correct me if im wrong) we more than doubled the original clocked speed, I truly dont expect 2ghz but that would be sweeeeeeeeeeeet
    Wouldn't advise any more then 1.5ghz. Going 1.7 would probably be like the experience that Pre people are having with 1.2 Chuck Norris
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    it really depends on which OMAP series processor it is, you can clock it at whatever-ghz, it just won't last long...and eventually will just burn up...
    True, but eventually is a long time compared to the normal life of these processors.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I would keep it at 1ghz. Nice speed and that's the factory kernal settings for the pre2. I'm using 1ghz now on my palm pre, and it gives me no problem. :smile
    Last edited by RUSH; 10/22/2010 at 05:05 AM. Reason: correct error
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I would keep it at 1ghz. Nice speed and that's the factory kernal settings for the pre2. I'm using 1ghz now on my pre2, and it gives me no problem. :smile
    Now on your pre2???
  10.    #10  
    Lol, yea.. I got it before everyone else. :-D
    I feel stupid for asking and I im pretty sure your not being serious but your not for realsies are you?
    Lol, yea.. I got it before everyone else. :-D
    taw
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    what if the new pre 2 has the same processor as the older pres but just has the 1ghz kernal patch installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    what if the new pre 2 has the same processor as the older pres but just has the 1ghz kernal patch installed.
    ifixit will tear it apart and show tiOMAP 3640
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    ifixit will tear it apart and show tiOMAP 3640
    the officially announced specs are for a newer processor. the current pre ships at 500mhz, the new one will ship at 1ghz.
    yeah I know original pre uses a ti OMAP 3430 same as droid but running at 500 MHz instead of 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    I feel stupid for asking and I im pretty sure your not being serious but your not for realsies are you?
    Naw, just a error in typing... that's all. :-)
    I would hope that the pre2 could be push to almost double its 1ghz kernal. The palm pre/plus have prove that it's possible.
    Well if it does have the same processor as the driod x as has been speculated, it looks like it can go to 2ghz.

DROID X, DROID 2 over-clocked to a face melting 2.0GHz Boy Genius Report
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    dont think I'd need more then 1.2ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    Well if it does have the same processor as the driod x as has been speculated, it looks like it can go to 2ghz.

DROID X, DROID 2 over-clocked to a face melting 2.0GHz Boy Genius Report
    ....all depends on the kernel, since that's what sets the speed....you can keep increasing the speed to whatever, eventually it won't be stable and beyond that probably melt....all processors have a range of safe operation....too low unstable too hi unstable....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast