1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care, Jay

Palm Pre 2 promises a simpler smartphone , By James Sherwood - 20/10/2010

HP to launch Palm Pre 2 as simple smartphone | New Palm Pre 2 multitasks and more

Palm Pre 2

Palm Pre 2 will help you send emails and texts without opening any apps and should be much easier to use than other smartphones.

A smartphone designed to make sending emails, writing text messages or updating your social network easier and faster than ever has been launched.

Hewlett-Packard’s (HP) Palm Pre 2 has “Just Type” technology that lets you compose emails, write messages, update social networks and search websites without opening a single app.

Simon Piper, business development manager at Mobilechoices.co.uk, said: “Most existing smartphones force users to open individual apps for individual tasks, so the Pre 2 could prove a real time saver and productivity booster.”

The Pre 2’s operating system - webOS 2.0 - is also said to offer “true multi-tasking” because with it you can “pause a game, tap an email notification, check your calendar, read a restaurant review, send an email reply, then switch back to the game without closing anything”.

HP will release the Palm Pre 2 - successor to the Palm Pre smartphone, launched last year - in France later this month, but a UK launch date hasn’t been confirmed.

Other highlights of the Palm Pre 2 include:

■A slide-out Qwerty keypad

■A 5Mp camera

■A wireless charging system, known as Touchstone.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    THIS

is the stickyness factor that Palm and HP need to market about the Pre2.

This is the one thing I see as being huge to people.
    and it's beginning to look like us pre originals,,the ones who got this ball rolling,,are kicked to the curb.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    THIS

is the stickyness factor that Palm and HP need to market about the Pre2.

This is the one thing I see as being huge to people.
    Well lets hope they kick off an effective campaign to market this stuff correctly.

I said a while back that it shouldn't be about the pre2. What their advertising and marketing should focus on is webOS itself. Especially since we'll be receiving a great ecosystem in the coming 12 months.

Good times are ahead and to those who wait
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    and it's beginning to look like us pre originals,,the ones who got this ball rolling,,are kicked to the curb.
    I know it seems that way for many. For me, I'd rather skip this one and use my upgrade later if a 'super' phone is announced for webOS. <crossing fingers for spring>
    It seems that the reviewer is attributing features of webOS 2.0 to the Pre 2. “Just Type” is a feature of webOS 2.0 that will be on all Palm devices probably by the end of the year. So all the goodness of a “simpler smartphone” will be on the Pre, Pixi, and the Plus model phones. The only thing in the article that previous Palm owners don’t have is the 5Mp camera.

Thanks for the article Jay.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I think it's getting more complicated. Good for me cause it adds functionality but raises the learning curve even more so.

My family don't get it for example. Mom has a vibrant dad an iphone and my brother a dumbphone. Different responces all around but confusion for each.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums Beta

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    It seems that the reviewer is attributing features of webOS 2.0 to the Pre 2. “Just Type” is a feature of webOS 2.0 that will be on all Palm devices probably by the end of the year. So all the goodness of a “simpler smartphone” will be on the Pre, Pixi, and the Plus model phone.
    Haha, well, potential smartphone buyers don't have to know that
    Smartphone geeks, like most of us on this site, know the difference between phone and OS, most phone buyers, even smartphone buyers, don't. I think this is a huge point a lot of the spec-geeks here miss, for HP to have a device to market this holiday season they need a new phone to push, even if what they're really advertising is webOS 2.0. This is, perhaps, the harder road to travel to a strong spot in the smartphone wars, building differentiation from the other phones out there, but I think it is the one which will ultimately get HP there.

Gargoyle
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Sending a text or something similar still opens an app. It just takes the text you typed and moves it over to your message app, email app, notes app, whatever. Still faster I would guess then opening the app first, but you do have to have the app open at some point.
    Annoying thing is that Justype will still mostly be slower than simular tasks on other platforms just because the apps on webos take longer to open.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums Beta

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html