Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i have basically given up hope for returning to a palm phone for atleast another year. honestly the pre 2 should of been the pre plus.

whats the big deal about 1 ghz cpu? thats the best they can do?

hopefully something else will be announced...

using a pre oc'd to 1ghz with webos 2.0 is practically the same as a pre 2...

the worst part is this 'new' hardware wont even be available in the us for a few months.
    Last edited by badjokes; 10/20/2010 at 09:03 AM.
    yes, you are the only one.

the big news is webOS 2.0 and the fact that vzw is still interested in working with Palm.

there will be many more exciting phones announced by palm in the coming months.
    am i the only one disappointed with the pre 2 announcment?
    Nope.
    The Pre 2 was most likely just the next rev. of the Pre plus that pre-HP Palm was looking to release. I think it's fine and good enough to keep Palm in the public and relevant...especially with WebOS 2.0. That will set the stage for HP's tablet...
    You and many others... excluding myself. I could never be more happy than I am right now. I'm very grateful that we have something a lot different than what I have right now.(Palm Pre)

How much GHZ were you looking for? Most phones right now are running at 1GHZ.

I can't wait to have one in my arms. (:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by badjokes View Post
    hopefully something else will be announced...
    No, of course you're not the only one. But the fact is, those of us who have been watching Palm and the new device rumours know that there is a device coming out with a higher resolution screen, and one without a keyboard, that will probably be announced at CES.

And there are mysterious designs that have been hinted at by Rahul Sood and others.

Looks to me like Palm said let's just release the phone that we knew we could have released when we get WebOS 2.0 out, and then wow them at CES.

And even though I'm in line for the Pre 2 in a heartbeat (I want glass screen!!!) I, like you, think... they better have something up their sleeve....
  7.    #8  
    @cantaffordit, i was talking about the pre 2 not webos 2.0...

@RUSH, I'm really looking forward to a dual core cpu, cortex a9 like blackberry play book tablet has.
    ...and I pretty much agree.

As a gap-filler, this should have been out 3 months earlier (yeah, yeah, acquisition, shmacquisition...), or held back 3 months (how much MORE damage could that have done?) and then been more of a "WOW" device.

Will I get the Pre2... probably. Why? Pre+ keyboard has been driving me crazy, cracked bezel, non-responsive when trying to answer a call...

Why don't I WANT to get a Pre2? It screws me up for another 12-24 months at verizon for a "Real Upgrade".

BTW, if anyone wants to have their blood boil, read the article at CNN -

HP's Palm Pre 2 limps out the door - Oct. 19, 2010

So many inaccuracies, it's not funny... didja know that...
    "Some of the new features include true multitasking, synchronization between contacts and social networks, HTML5 support, and universal search"
    Well, they got the HTML5 part right (I think).

It's amazing that you need a license to drive a vehicle, but they'll let any ***** loose with a keyboard!

Unfortuantely, they might be right about some of the other sentiment expressed. I dunno if HPalm "is done" in the smartphone market, but I see the Pre2 as a major strategic mistake.

russ
    Quote Originally Posted by badjokes View Post
    @cantaffordit, i was talking about the pre 2 not webos 2.0...
    I know that. I was pointing out that you shouldn't be disappointed or short-sighted about the pre2 and I pointed out the bigger story that I think is the most positive aspect of the announcementt.

6 months from now the Pre2 will be a distant memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    ...and I pretty much agree.

As a gap-filler, this should have been out 3 months earlier (yeah, yeah, acquisition, shmacquisition...), or held back 3 months (how much MORE damage could that have done?) and then been more of a "WOW" device.

Will I get the Pre2... probably. Why? Pre+ keyboard has been driving me crazy, cracked bezel, non-responsive when trying to answer a call...

Why don't I WANT to get a Pre2? It screws me up for another 12-24 months at verizon for a "Real Upgrade".

BTW, if anyone wants to have their blood boil, read the article at CNN -

HP's Palm Pre 2 limps out the door - Oct. 19, 2010

So many inaccuracies, it's not funny... didja know that...
    "Some of the new features include true multitasking, synchronization between contacts and social networks, HTML5 support, and universal search"
    Well, they got the HTML5 part right (I think).

It's amazing that you need a license to drive a vehicle, but they'll let any ***** loose with a keyboard!

Unfortuantely, they might be right about some of the other sentiment expressed. I dunno if HPalm "is done" in the smartphone market, but I see the Pre2 as a major strategic mistake.

russ
    What's inaccurate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    What's inaccurate?
    In the 3rd paragraph: "...the original Pre's 600 MHz."

Everybody knows that the original Pre runs at 500MHz!!
    even if curved glass is possible, it's a bad idea. They need to protect edges and corners because bumping and dropping will damage the easily - which has been proven on the current pre vs the pixi.

rounding might be zen or fung schwe. But it's fragile. Form should follow function - always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    What's inaccurate?
    The part he quoted is totally inaccurate...

Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I'm not sure why people are so upset about the Pre 2 (except for people on Sprint who actually want one). It's pretty much in line with what we expected, and except for the screen size, it matches specs with all of the WP7 devices and beats mid-tier Android devices (and all Blackberries).

Screen size is a major issue, but my guess is Palm (pre-HP) had trouble sourcing decent large screens with all the competition from Android and WP7 manufacturers. Should we have seen it a couple of months ago? yeah. But that was unfortunately prevented by business issues.

Palm has not said this is a flagship device. If you want the hardware upgrade, great. If you would rather have seen nothing until next year, pretend the Pre 2 doesn't exist.

I think of the Pre 2 as basically:
    1) a developer phone to work with webOS 2.0 until the real deals show up
    2) a "channel partner" device that HP can start to push out to businesses (and bundle with computer sales, etc) without being a total embarrassment
    3) a replacement of the Pre at carrier stores, so they can maintain a presence and show webOS 2.0 to consumers who are in the market for a new phone.
    4) A mid-tier phone for people who need a keyboard or don't want a huge device.

#3 kind of failed because apparently AT&T and Sprint didn't want to bother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    The part he quoted is totally inaccurate...
    Is it?

Let's run through it:

"true multitasking"

Too many cards error anyone?

"HTML5 support"

The original Pre didn't have this from what I'm aware.

"synchronization between contacts and social networks"
    Okay, kinda inaccurate here since the original pre did have. [Has it been improved with 2.0? If so, while still inaccurate, that could be what they're pointing to]

"universal search"

The original Pre's universal search wasn't exactly...universal...moreover they may be referring to "just type search"

Not really overally inaccurate except maybe one inaccuracy.

[Let's always remember that when we talk about a product we are removing the homebrew aspect, homebrew is nice but it is NOT a selling point to the masses and the benefits from it cannot be considered]
    +1 @ahitz

it's also a phone that can survive a 6 inch drop on its corner.

tjat alone will decfease the return rate by half.
    I hope this glass screen doesn't have numerous pre2 users complaining about damage or broken glass.

The big question is > Will there be any problem with replacement from your carrier, or insurance company?
    @mattykinsx

you absolutely have to include homebrew asa selling feature. It sets the pre above every other platform.

heck, the first part of it is that palm provides the doctor so users can always go back to a factory fresh config. No other smart phone does that. So screwing it up with homebrew or just having a glitch in an official app can be overcome in just a few minutes by an average user on the phone with a carrier rep, or in a carrier store.

I can't believe android and blackberry haven't realized how critical that is.

homebrew is a feature, even if it's only to allow themes...
    I was very disappointed when the new device was announced with the same small screen. I was hoping for a larger screen....hopefully they will come out with a device with 4" screen. I think WebOS would be great on a larger screen.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast