Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Well, if such be the case.. I'll see how long my pre2 will last me.(That is when I buy it off ebay) lmao.
    Let's just hope that they're just more focused on a tablet first and then will be on the smartphone market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Let's just hope that they're just more focused on a tablet first and then will be on the smartphone market.
    That's what bothers me about HP. Shortly after HP's purchase of Palm, did they not let slip that the tablet business was their primary interest. After some public outcry, they reluctantly included smartphones.

From Pocket PCs, to Windows Mobile phones, and now Palm, HP's core business has always focused on computers. If webOS does not prove itself in the tablet sector, what incentive will HP have to continue with this line?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Yep, sometimes that's all we are left with > Hopes. However, I'm not taking any risk.. I'll make sure I have a pre2, plus my palm pre in safe keeping. :-D:-D
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    define a "super phone"?

i think you palm extreme fans might be a bit dissapointed next year. i think hp will just use webos in the new tablet.
    Not a Pre 2

Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Jha
    CEO of Motorola's consumer business and mobile devices division, has confirmed his outfit will be releasing a 2GHz smartphone by Christmas.

Talking to the Executives Club of Chicago, Jha said that he believed that most corporate workstations would be replaced by smartphones in two years.

As proof he said that Motorola will have a 2GHz 'superphone' ready for the holidays.

The phone will be Android and will have a gyroscope, and a Nvidia Tegra-based graphics processor with full Flash 10.1 hardware acceleration. It is not clear how Motorola will get the chip to 2GHz.

Qualcomm announced faster Snapdragon processors that would reach 1.5GHz at Coputex last week. It might be something from Nvidia which has been telling the world+dog that its Tegra 2 is pretty fast.

Read more: Motorola confirms 2GHz smartphone by Christmas - Double the speed of Snapdragon | TechEye
    It's true, I meant MB not KB. I need to proofread better as I've done that elsewhere, too, haha. Jeez.

I'm not sure why people think the Palm Pre 2's specs are outdated. They're IDENTICAL to the very best and most powerful phones on the market currently, and if they had been the specs on the original Pre, they would have seemed otherworldly.

Does anybody remember what was available at the original Pre launch date? The iPhone 3G (not even the 3GS, which followed the Pre release by a few days). What else in the touchscreen smartphone market? Ummmm.... the HTC G1 running on friggen Cupcake... Ooooo where do I sign up to get the clunky looking, half functional beast?

The Palm Pre has aged extremely well in the smartphone arena, and the Pre 2 is competitive with current smartphones despite a planned release date of 4 months ago. The only major shortfall is the screen size is too small.

Is the Pre 2 a letdown in the way it's being launched or as a competitor for the best phones on the market or coming out in the next couple of weeks? Yep, but it's not as bad as it's being portrayed.

Really, the expectations that the Pre 2 would have a 2.0GHz dual core processor a 4" screen, 64GB of storage, HDMI out, and that it would build the owner an island and then transform into a jet and fly them there aren't realistic.
    I completely agree EvilKell. The specs of the Pre 2 are on par with the top tier smartphones available. It's pretty much a Droid X with a smaller screen and a portrait slider. I don't hear people complaining about the Droid X's specs.

I personally can't wait to see how well webOS 2.0 runs on my 1ghz Pre Plus.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    A 1 Ghz processor is great. What makes it a letdown is the screen size, no autofocus cam, and the same crappy keyboard.

It was a device that truly didn't need to come out since the tech world already knew HP would be pushing great units out at CES.

The focus should have been on pushing out WebOS 2.0 on current devices since we already know it's ready, as seen on the demo unit that Dieter showed us.

....really? No autofocus cam? Are they serious? My neices play-and-go cam has an auto focus!
    HP didn't change their tune due to public outcry. They don't care if they hurt people's feelings. HP cares about revenue and profit, and for the HP tablet project to succeed on webOS, it needs a strong user base so the developer community will actually want to build applications for the tablet.

HP figured out that killing the phone line was akin to committing suicide in their tablet ambitions. The only hope for webOS to succeed is to grow the user base and application catalogs, and you don't do that by getting rid of the existing users of webOS.

Since HP had the revelation, they decided to put Palm in charge of webOS products and software development. HP knew it didn't have a strong enough sense of the mobile OS and phone industry to lead. HP needed Palm as much as Palm needed HP in order to make the investment pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    A 1 Ghz processor is great. What makes it a letdown is the screen size, no autofocus cam, and the same crappy keyboard.

It was a device that truly didn't need to come out since the tech world already knew HP would be pushing great units out at CES.

The focus should have been on pushing out WebOS 2.0 on current devices since we already know it's ready, as seen on the demo unit that Dieter showed us.

....really? No autofocus cam? Are they serious? My neices play-and-go cam has an auto focus!
    Are you into taking a lot of macro shots because that is all I can really think of where autofocus will be better than the fixed focus they currently have. I still think the Pre takes some of the best looking photos of any cameraphone.

The keyboard is personal preference. Most people I know who own a Pre love the keyboard. I love the keyboard. Again personal preference.

The screen size is something I hope is addressed at CES. I know they will announce a slab device of some sort, but I really hope they announce a Pre like form factor with a 3.5-4" screen. That would be my dream phone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo

I love the Pre's keyboard, sorry. That said, I can totally agree with you on the screen size and the RIDICULOUS lack of autofocus.
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron View Post
    That's what bothers me about HP. Shortly after HP's purchase of Palm, did they not let slip that the tablet business was their primary interest. After some public outcry, they reluctantly included smartphones.

From Pocket PCs, to Windows Mobile phones, and now Palm, HP's core business has always focused on computers. If webOS does not prove itself in the tablet sector, what incentive will HP have to continue with this line?
    I agree that they were forced by the community to change their stance,but they also said the Palm will continue to run as a semi-independant unit, and that they will continue to proceed with their roadmap of phones. The Pre 2 was obviously on this roadmap, which is why it is being perceived as a letdown, as the merger probably slowed production and release on the device when it still would have mattered a few months back.

As it is now, Palm is probably being pressured to push out their roadmap of phones sooner so that they don't get left behind. It stands to reason that the Pre 2 was to far along in production to scrap the project, so they put it out with little fanfare. Smart, since nobody is paying attention to them as a Palm unit anyway.

At CES,watch for Palm's name to be in the background as HP flings it's name around for the more competitive devices to be shown throughout the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I love the Pre's keyboard, sorry. That said, I can totally agree with you on the screen size and the RIDICULOUS lack of autofocus.
    Yeah, I love the idea of a keyboard, as i've used Palm phones back when the Treo 650 was the rage.

The Pre's keyboard annoys me because I need to focus more on what I'm typing. Very difficult to blind type, something which I could do periodically on the Treo.

Plus the keys are really hard to press, or at least feel confident that i've pressed them if I'm typing fast. I always miss a key now, where I almost never missed a key on the Treo 650, or Centro. The 'h' key is my nemisis, btw. :-(
    Yeah, I love the idea of a keyboard, as i've used Palm phones back when the Treo 650 was the rage.

The Pre's keyboard annoys me because I need to focus more on what I'm typing. Very difficult to blind type, something which I could do periodically on the Treo.

Plus the keys are really hard to press, or at least feel confident that i've pressed them if I'm typing fast. I always miss a key now, where I almost never missed a key on the Treo 650, or Centro. The 'h' key is my nemisis, btw. :-(
    Which model Pre do you have? Because they made a lot of improvements to the keyboard since the original Sprint Pre. It's night and day difference between my Sprint Pre and my new AT&T Pre Plus. Much clickier with more feedback. I can type 2-3 paragraphs without a single mistake. On my iPad however, even with the giant 10" screen, I always seem to miss letters and the auto-correct drives me INSANE. I always have to proof read what I typed on my iPad but with my Pre and can just hit send and have confidence that it has no typing errors.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Anyone else disappointed with these specs and just the phone overall?
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-2...a-glass-screen
    there is already a thread on this topic... But, would I have liked to see a better product come to market, YES!! I think we all would've, now we have to get over it and wait for the new HP devices or move on to something else that satisfies you.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nouncment.html

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecut93 View Post
    Anyone else disappointed with these specs and just the phone overall?
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-2...a-glass-screen
    No...no one else is disappointed. All smiles and rainbows over here.
    "Disappointment" will vary from person to person, based on what they wanted to happen next, in consort with what they "believed" would happen next.

While I am "disappointed" that the next device they introduced was just a better hardware version of thier existing design (remember, all current WebOS devices will be upgraded to WebOS 2), I am not disappointed with the specs. They obviously took a good look at making the current design a faster (via software optimization and hardware upgrades) and better one, which obviously was cost efficient, and, likely much needed. Anyonewho wanted a Pre will get the Pre 2, and will not want for speed or efficiency, and will get the OS of their choice. That wont disappoint those who want it; it could have been me, had I not bought my Pre+ last May.

We know that HP has plans for at least 6 new smartphones in 2011 (read the front page of PreCentral).

THAT, is not disappointing news to me, for sure - however, will the hardware for those smartphones "disappoint"?

SOso sure they will, for some of those who post here, no matter what the new harware ise.... but, it will be the overall market who will decide on just how much it "disappoints" or "is celebrated", in the end.

Last edited by LCGuy; 10/26/2010 at 05:10 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

considering all that has happened at Palm HQ, this is the phone that should have come out months ago, the "C40." It's not HP's superphone by any means and I think many people are disappointed because it's an incremental improvement in many ways. That said, this phone would be a great entry level device....
  19.    #119  
    heres a good example of why the pre 2 is such a disappointment,

TI's OMAP4440 processor brings two blazing Cortex-A9 cores to the table -- Engadget

also motorola and lg both have dual core phones that are slated for release in december or january on verizon.
    I too am disappointed with Palm. Nothing new for Sprint, unless CES is big for us. Actually thinking about picking up the new HTC EVO Shift 4G/Speedy/Knight/whatever they decide to call it. My future with Palm is not looking good unless they announce the M.O.A.P. (Mother of all Phones) shortly!!!!!!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast