Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    Not disappointed with something that has been a disappointment since it came out. So HP is living up to the Palm persona. Nothing like a small screen, no landscape, ridiculously small keyboard, and poor battery performance to build your "upgrade" on. I could not imagine having to sign a 2 year contract on this lackluster phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    I'll post more of a detailed review tomorrow morning, but let me just say this. It's probably a combination of the new hardware and webOS 2.0, but the UI is smooth. Like iPhone smooth. Apps open up very quickly. Stacks work great. It was extremely impressive and I think they took a lot of people by surprise.
    Outdated before it's even released, and wont be released for months? Pretty sad. No, pathetically sad. Even priced as a budget smartphone (i.e. FREE) it's going to be hard sell, yet of course they'll want some ridiculous price to get it when you can get other way better smartphones out there today. And why the heck not, when you end up paying the same phone (data) plan anyway.
    ...Why would you say outdated? If so, then I would assume most phones are.. as you say > outdated.

I would get the pre2 over any other phones I've seen. I'm not a power user, just a pre and webos admirer. I'm not disappointment in the pre2, not since I got it >now, and hopefully further on.

My only disappointment is that my carrier don't seem to share the same passion as me.

(Loving my webos phone unconditionally)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    ...Why would you say outdated? If so, then I would assume most phones are.. as you say > outdated.

I would get the pre2 over any other phones I've seen. I'm not a power user, just a pre and webos admirer. I'm not disappointment in the pre2, not since I got it >now, and hopefully further on.

My only disappointment is that my carrier don't seem to share the same passion as me.

(Loving my webos phone unconditionally)
    Playing catch up half a year later with the same technology is what he means by outdated.

And I'm sorry your carrier has enough business sense to look beyond emotional attachments to an OS.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    If the pre2 can hit the $99 launch price on upgrade or for new customers, it should do well. Considering the droidX vs pre2, the droidX@$199 only has a bigger screen, a little better camera,hdmi out and a bigger battery. At $199 the pre2 would be under spec'd, thus making it seem outdated. At $99 it wouldn't seem outdated, thus not a disappointment. Unless your mad because palm didn't make a evo or droidX, which I'm sure at some point they will.

Also I'm starting to get the feeling the pre2 is a test device for verizon. If they don't push the pre2, then they may not get the next hp/webOS phone.
    Last edited by bdog421; 10/23/2010 at 06:56 AM.
    I see "Calendar Event" listed as a new feature.
    Does anyone know if we will be able to invite
    others to a meeting via the calendar event or
    through the calendar at all ?
    I like my Pre. If it had better battery life, faster app opening and more developers making apps simultaneous to iphone/android, I'd be peachy.

I'm not disappointed by the keyboard. I love Synergy. The multitasking is good enough and with more memory would be better. The form-factor is also a major plus.

Palm would have a winner with that combination. HP gives it the stability to be taken seriously along with BB, iPhone and Android.

My complaint is with this incrementalism at a moment when a leap forward is needed. Apple does the same thing, but they're the lead dog. When you're playing catch-up, that's simply not enough.

Given that Apple is back after the Newton (yes, i'm old) means that Palm has another chance. WebOs is pretty good, but they need to find a way to "give it away" in order to get enough of an installed base to compete. That was essentially the android strategy and it worked.

Sprint could be leveraging 4G with Palm and right now Android is a better platform to showcase 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Oh come on now. If the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0 had launched as the "Pre" last June, it would have absolutely dominated. Hardware-wise a 1GHz processor, 512kb RAM, 16GB integrated storage, 5MP camera...

I think the expectations are a little out of whack here. The Pre 2 is probably more like what the Pre Plus should have been.
    512kb of ram? woah its not 1995 anymore man
    You have to remember HP has a large reach into the enterprise market. They are already pushing webOS on their customers. We had a meeting with them a month or so after the acquisition and they were already talking about using webOS smartphones in our company.

That being said, I think the Pre 2 is HP's Blackberry Curve. A solid business device that can be deployed to enterprise customers in large numbers. With webOS 2.0 having VPN and other enterprise upgrades this makes a lot of sense.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by badjokes View Post
    i have basically given up hope for returning to a palm phone for atleast another year. honestly the pre 2 should of been the pre plus.

whats the big deal about 1 ghz cpu? thats the best they can do?

hopefully something else will be announced...

using a pre oc'd to 1ghz with webos 2.0 is practically the same as a pre 2...

the worst part is this 'new' hardware wont even be available in the us for a few months.
    You have the right to be disappointed but let me remind you of one thing. when Palm introduced the Pre clocked at 500 MHz, they did not anticipate that it would be over-clocked to 1 GHz soon after. If the Pre was not capable of being over-clocked, we would all be extremely ecstatic now. In other words, this may not be a major upgrade for the people on this site but for the average Joe who does not over-clock this is a major upgrade.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    512kb of ram? woah its not 1995 anymore man
    fair enough for a desktop but I've heard that it's more than enough for the phone
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    im very upset wit the pre 2 news and to find out sprint might not even have it. i am goin to check the windows 7 and if i like it im gone...i luv the webos but this hardawre and design is killing me
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I waited for months for a new WebOS phone. And the Pre2 isn't going to be good enough.

So I have moved on to the Evo. So far I love it. The GUI isn't as good as WebOS, but the speed is great and it will have the market share (read mind share) needed to have the new technologies like eCommerce supported on it.

Good luck HP/Palm. I do hope you manage to pull it off.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    fair enough for a desktop but I've heard that it's more than enough for the phone
    Methinks he was poking fun at the typo (512kb as opposed to 512MB).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I am really disapointed. I am satisfied with the performance of my overclocked pre -, but there is one big thing. I cant live with that ****ty camera! Before the pre i had a SE k770i and its pictures were in most situations just amazing for a mobile phone. But i am sure that the pre 2 will deliver in 80% of all situations crapy results(i think the unit has the same formfactor and no autofocus).That makes me sad :-(.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    I don't care too much about the pre2, I'm hoping HP comes out with a great super phone at CES in January!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melaza View Post
    I don't care too much about the pre2, I'm hoping HP comes out with a great super phone at CES in January!
    define a "super phone"?

i think you palm extreme fans might be a bit dissapointed next year. i think hp will just use webos in the new tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    define a "super phone"?

i think you palm extreme fans might be a bit dissapointed next year. i think hp will just use webos in the new tablet.
    That WOULD be disappointing as HP have said that a number of different devices would be launched over the next year, "some sooner than others, some less impressive than others". The Pre 2 is the sooner and less impressive one I suppose.

I guess what's disappointing to some people is that the Pre 2 specs match the current high end (screen size is a matter of taste and not to be disputed) but doesn't push any envelopes hardware-wise. No superlatives to be found. And people have become very ADD in their consumption habits, so if it doesn't get you bragging rights about having the certifiably anythingest phone on the market, what's the use?
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    I agree. If you read everything from HP..you'll find that they aren't very interested in trying to combat with Google/Microsoft/Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I agree. If you read everything from HP..you'll find that they aren't very interested in trying to combat with Google/Microsoft/Apple.
    Well, if such be the case.. I'll see how long my pre2 will last me.(That is when I buy it off ebay) lmao.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast