Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I'm disappointed that the phone HP Palm is bringing to market was the Pre 2, not a more powerful device which would be a direct competitor for the best the market has to offer.

I'm very disappointed the phone will not apparently be available on Sprint. I probably wouldn't use an upgrade to get it, but I might be willing to purchase it outright, depending on the price.

I'm also a little concerned that HP Palm has underestimated the enthusiasm of webOS users, and that releasing the Palm Pre 2 might lead to people jumping ship before a better device can be announced. I was upgrade eligible in July, and I've been waiting to see what HP Palm would deliver. I'm still hoping for smidgens of information regarding the next Palm device, but if the Palm Pre 2 is all that is up their sleeves until mid next year, I believe webOS is dead.

I would also NOT purchase the Palm Pre 2 over the DROID 2 as the DROID 2 will be eligible to get Gingerbread.
    the Pre 2 is a nice bump from the original, but by no means blows away anything. But let's hope this is a sign that HP/Palm are committed to pushing out more phones and updates.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Nope. Palm blew their chance. I gave up on the Pre and its very ****ty interface and horrible lag. And from what I hear, they're going to cater to Verizon more which is another slap in the face to Sprint users.

I'm done with the Pre and Palm. I'm sticking with Android now.
    I am really stoked about the Pre 2. I just hope it comes to Sprint. I love my overclocked custom made PRE! I could use the phone for another 3 or 4 years easy, but my main concern is hardware. The Pre 2 is basically the same, I just hope the hardware is not flimsy and cheap like the original Pre. I hate that dreaded oreo effect when the phone is closed more than anything. That's like my biggest gripe.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Yupper agree almost completely (except for the wife swoon thing...). Most of us don't really care since we want more and can handle using our present Pre and Pre Plus units running webOS 2.0. When the Pre 2 HD comes out next year, then we're talking and most of us will upgrade and move on with HPalm's latest and greatest.

For most users, I agree we just want productive units and the Pre 2 gives old and new customers just that, something better then what we bought 1.5 years ago. My Pre (minus) is stacked to the hilt with Patches, Acceleration, etc....from the solid Homebrew community here and else where.

BTW, Thank You webOS Internals and everyone else busy shaking and baking webOS 1.4.5 and soon to be released webOS 2.0.

We're going on a year of so with multiple updates from Palm and now HP for our precious little devices where Apple iPhone users get shafted (iphone 1 and 2 devices now shuned from existance) and have to buy new hardware to keep up and upgrade. Android is a little better and customers get lucky every once and a while, but nothing comes close to webOS and what HPalm and the community are doing.
    I guess you don't see the irony in trumpeting the "multiple updates" while also admitting that your devices is "stacked to the hilt" with non-Palm modifications? Must be some awesome updates for you to need that many
    patches and kernels, eh?

Also, I don't think Apple users are feeling particularly shafted that they get roughly 2 years of maximum ubiquity for their devices because they not only have a reliable update waiting for them when their contract expires, but also have a device that keeps it resale value enough to mostly - if not entirely - pay for the new device. How much is a Sprint Pre going for used just 17 months later?

As for Android, it's silly to dismiss the incredible work done by XDA Deveopers as not "coming close" to WebOS Internals. Both groups of developers do great work that extend the life of their devices. Android users are indeed "lucky" that they're not waiting on menus to be finished, or landscape email, or a photo gallery that displays pictures instantly at their proper resolution.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    BTW, Thank You webOS Internals and everyone else busy shaking and baking webOS 1.4.5 and soon to be released webOS 2.0.

We're going on a year of so with multiple updates from Palm and now HP for our precious little devices where Apple iPhone users get shafted (iphone 1 and 2 devices now shuned from existance) and have to buy new hardware to keep up and upgrade. Android is a little better and customers get lucky every once and a while, but nothing comes close to webOS and what HPalm and the community are doing.
    WebOS internals is doing more than palm/hp is doing for webos.. And many thanks for all their hard work.

But to say nothing comes close sounds a lot like you have never ventured over to xda-developers or any other major site dedicated to modding mobile phones. Its sad when people can not even give props to other devs working with other platforms.

Rod has no issues giving credit to other great devs working on other platforms maybe you should take notes..
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We thank and give full credit to @getitnowmarket from the Android community for supplying the key information required for Pixi overclocking.

-- Rod
    The iphone 1 & 2 are both almost 3-4 years old now most manufacturers only support their device for a year sometimes two after that your SOL.

Those users of the iphone 1&2 are lucky they got support for this long. Do you thing next year the pre released on sprint will be kept in mind when palm releases an update to webos?? Of course not the hardware will probably not be enough to run whats under the hood it hardly does an ok job with 1.4.5 unless you patch the **** out of it.

I removed uber kernel the other day and I almost threw my pre in the trash for how crappy it ran.. Its sad when homebrew is the only reason a phone runs decent.
    I wasnt exactly excited about the content of the announcement but rather the fact that we know palm is still alive and clearly interested in bringing new things to the table
    Good to see someone here with a bit more of a business sense than the regular posts we've been receiving.

further to that, i'm sure palm didn't have the cash on hand to really spend to upgrade the size of the screen. we're talking about a whole new design technically, so it changes the dynamics quite a bit.

1 and 2 are extremely correct. it's more for developers to really get some apps out for webos 2.0 and the new devices coming next year, as well as palm being able to really work out any qwerks or problems in the os before they make a really big splash with a new device and a tablet.

For anyone who is mad or angry that this device is 3-6 months late, well, sorry but.. a little thing called a merge happened between 2 companies and if you think you can do better than submit your resume to hp. ITS GOOD that it happened

what i don't get is users here were mad complaining that they hadn't heard a single thing from palm and that they were desperate to get something out. So that something did come out that was pre merger and yet.. now users find something else to complain about. Really, if you're that unhappy.. then move to another platform that will make you happy with whatever it is in life that you're missing. you'll live a less stressful life.

This is what Rahul Sood meant by his overblown tweet about a month ago or whenever it was. The actual real HP devices will be coming in the next 12 months.. not 12 months, not 1 month.. over the course. Probably spreading it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    I'm not sure why people are so upset about the Pre 2 (except for people on Sprint who actually want one). It's pretty much in line with what we expected, and except for the screen size, it matches specs with all of the WP7 devices and beats mid-tier Android devices (and all Blackberries).

Screen size is a major issue, but my guess is Palm (pre-HP) had trouble sourcing decent large screens with all the competition from Android and WP7 manufacturers. Should we have seen it a couple of months ago? yeah. But that was unfortunately prevented by business issues.

Palm has not said this is a flagship device. If you want the hardware upgrade, great. If you would rather have seen nothing until next year, pretend the Pre 2 doesn't exist.

I think of the Pre 2 as basically:
    1) a developer phone to work with webOS 2.0 until the real deals show up
    2) a "channel partner" device that HP can start to push out to businesses (and bundle with computer sales, etc) without being a total embarrassment
    3) a replacement of the Pre at carrier stores, so they can maintain a presence and show webOS 2.0 to consumers who are in the market for a new phone.
    4) A mid-tier phone for people who need a keyboard or don't want a huge device.

#3 kind of failed because apparently AT&T and Sprint didn't want to bother.
    This Pre 2 looks to me like what the original Pre should have been. A lot nicer material for the shell, a glass screen and a zippy CPU.

There's no way in hell I'll use a provider upgrade for this though, even if it eventually appears on Sprint. I'll wait it out. The only way I'll get a Pre 2 is if it turns out you can cram the Sprint radio board in it like I did with my Pre to upgrade to a Pre+. In that case I'll try to get a Pre 2 through the developer program or from Ebay or something. This worked fine and the Pre+ has been flawless for me since I started using it, nicely chugging along at 1Ghz too.

At the very least I want a much higher screen resolution on a new phone I'd truly invest in (e.g. signing for another 2 years on a provider). A front-facing camera for video chat would be sweet too.

But... The Pre 2 is here, WebOS 2 is coming which means Palm/HP are still in the game. I can't wait for the WebOS tablet and next-generation phones!
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by r00t View Post
    im excited and disappointed at the same time.. no front facing camera? =/
    Yeah that's what I said. Every other phone has a front facing camera now!!! Even the BB Torch has one!!!
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    I read a post from Brain Mantis this morning... he's usually pretty objective when it comes to the Pre, and matbe a little slanted against it but what I read in the "I played with a Palm Pre 2 tonight" thread was this:

Looks VERY similar...the only real noticeable difference is the glass screen. Its completely flat now which feels odd since i'm used to the slight curve, but overall is better and more consistent scrolls. Speaking of which, I didn't see it in videos, but the response time is improved. Esp. in the launcher. Pages scroll effortlessly. App launch time seems acceptable as well.

Honestly, its what the Palm Pre should've been, but its something (if the software does hold up to improvements) i would be ok with recommending to friends at a good price. (which is something i can't do with the current Pre.)

Now hearing this guy endorse the phone, I don't (and didn't before) think that this phone's going to be as much of a let down as some think.
    I have no problem with the phone. I just don't know who the target audience is. It can't be an upgrade for existing owners because of contract issues and the meager new features. Yeah, I'd like full Flash, but I'm not blowing my upgrade on it.

Maybe those AT&T holdouts who were hating the form factor of some other phones might go for a pre if the hardware woes are no longer a fear.

Given what it takes to create a new design, it seems sorta stupid to waste limited funds and effort on this device to kick-the-can until spring. I suspect that's why Sprint is not interested.

My hope is that Sprint is working with HP/Palm on a 4G model with some battery life, hardware stability, a virtual keyboard and a plan to deal with their "app problem."

Right now, the pre is headed to being a closed system with all apps written by sponsors or internally. Unless they can get enough market share to be "THE" fourth player (behind iphone, BB, Android), they will get the apps so late, people with jump ship.

I frankly want to get a 4G android. I just can't see carrying that brick in my pocket. Palm wins on form-factor for all but the gamers and TV watchers. For day-to-day productivity, Palm still has it right. Now put some more truly revolutionary stuff in that form-factor and we'd have something to compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I have no problem with the phone. I just don't know who the target audience is. It can't be an upgrade for existing owners because of contract issues and the meager new features. Yeah, I'd like full Flash, but I'm not blowing my upgrade on it.

Maybe those AT&T holdouts who were hating the form factor of some other phones might go for a pre if the hardware woes are no longer a fear.

Given what it takes to create a new design, it seems sorta stupid to waste limited funds and effort on this device to kick-the-can until spring. I suspect that's why Sprint is not interested.

My hope is that Sprint is working with HP/Palm on a 4G model with some battery life, hardware stability, a virtual keyboard and a plan to deal with their "app problem."
    Battery Life will remain an issue if the Pre 2 with a better, supposedly more efficient processor and an upgraded OS has the exact same battery life as the Pre Plus with an old OS and lesser internals according to Palm's own website. Hardware stability....eh, who knows? Just being stable probably won't erase the bad taste of the super shoddy original Pre from a lot of people's mouths.

The "app problem"...only two solutions for that:

1) HP shells out hundreds of millions to buy out publishers to create first-party titles along with paying off the multi-platform biggies like Sirius, Rhapsody, and the like.
    2) They exponentially increase sales to make developers wan to hop on board.
    i'm pretty dissapointed. Even if I was happy with the Pre2 as a device for myself (which i'm not), i'd still be disappointed because the device won't help WebOS to be successful in this market. The future of webOS devices depends on their ability to make devices that appeal to the masses, not just a couple PreCentral users who like small screens.
    What makes a palm a palm.

-Calendar alarms
    Mulitiple alarms, not just one with a snooze dismiss and your done. I want to be reminded with x ammount of minutes between alarms.

-Contact Groups.
    Doctors group, Family and Friends Group, Clients group...

-Better contact searching,
    I can't find anyone with a prefix of Dr. for some reason. I cant search notes.

-Short Cuts.
    I think this one is coming in 2.0 (finally)

-Syncing
    How about syncing to my own damn computer instead of friggin google or yahoo or palm or sprint. This is great for regular folks who don't care. But I do. One of two places, my computer or my phone. ONLY!

-Other nitpicky stuff

Palm is really losing me. This stuff should have been there from the launch.

Bri
    Oh come on now. If the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0 had launched as the "Pre" last June, it would have absolutely dominated. Hardware-wise a 1GHz processor, 512kb RAM, 16GB integrated storage, 5MP camera...

I think the expectations are a little out of whack here. The Pre 2 is probably more like what the Pre Plus should have been.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Not according to anything I've read.
    thats really disappointing.. =/ i will probably still get it though
    well I was totally disappointed, this was the same reason palm almost went bankrup a couple off years ago, same device with little else to add, remember?, as for wish, I would liked, a landscape keyboard like kim 2 for the pre and no keyboard and a little more screen for the pixi!, I have a pixi and the keyboard is completly useless, and a little to long just a couple of inches.
    Not disappointed with something that has been a disappointment since it came out. So HP is living up to the Palm persona. Nothing like a small screen, no landscape, ridiculously small keyboard, and poor battery performance to build your "upgrade" on. I could not imagine having to sign a 2 year contract on this lackluster phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Oh come on now. If the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0 had launched as the "Pre" last June, it would have absolutely dominated. Hardware-wise a 1GHz processor, 512kb RAM, 16GB integrated storage, 5MP camera...

I think the expectations are a little out of whack here. The Pre 2 is probably more like what the Pre Plus should have been.
    Hmm....Now where have I seen those specs before? Oh yeah, those 3-week old Windows Phone 7 units... Windows Phone 7 handsets: spec comparison -- Engadget

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast