Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    @mattykinsx

you absolutely have to include homebrew asa selling feature. It sets the pre above every other platform.

heck, the first part of it is that palm provides the doctor so users can always go back to a factory fresh config. No other smart phone does that. So screwing it up with homebrew or just having a glitch in an official app can be overcome in just a few minutes by an average user on the phone with a carrier rep, or in a carrier store.

I can't believe android and blackberry haven't realized how critical that is.

homebrew is a feature, even if it's only to allow themes...
    I'm sorry, you can't.

The fact is that even when it comes to something has "homebrew" friendly as Webos, the average user doesn't use homebrew.

People don't want to buy a product that they have to improve inorder to make it acceptable.

Sure, they want the ability to change things but it's not a selling point.
    we will just have to disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I'm sorry, you can't.

The fact is that even when it comes to something has "homebrew" friendly as Webos, the average user doesn't use homebrew.

People don't want to buy a product that they have to improve inorder to make it acceptable.

Let me chime in a little.. It's called "customize" In fact you're correct about the average users aren't aware of, or even ever use homebrew. I buy products and still customize them to suite me.. even though it was ok when I bought them. It's more like preference. I only wish more webos users were aware of homebrew, maybe they would even love their phone a lot better. I know I do. :-D :-D
    My Thoughts:

1. The only folks disappointed are geeks, and/or some folks with preware. The avg consumer and sales reps do NOT experience over-clocking, nor any of the patches we have...some now baked in. So Palm had to do something to retify the major issues with original Pre/Pre+

2. As mentioned, the Pre 2 is a replacement of the original RUSHED Pres' with better specs that will seem like night/day for consumers and sales reps, as well as things mentioned to attrack developers, etc with a worthy device running 2.0.

3. It will allow the focus for HP to become webOS before the release of thier top-tier super phones early 2011 (I think there will be various form factors and an upgraded version 2.whatever)
    Is it?

Let's run through it:

"true multitasking"

Too many cards error anyone?

Yes, sometimes there are memory leaks in certain apps... However, the TMC error only really plagued the original Palm Pre since it didn't have much RAM to begin with. The TMC error has been virtually eliminated in the Pre Plus models. (I have a Sprint Pre and haven't seen a TMC error in months. But I'm overclocked, so i guess that doesn't count?)

"HTML5 support"

The original Pre didn't have this from what I'm aware.

Yes it did. It is possible that webOS 2.0 added support for more elements of HTML5 though.

"synchronization between contacts and social networks"
    Okay, kinda inaccurate here since the original pre did have. [Has it been improved with 2.0? If so, while still inaccurate, that could be what they're pointing to]

I'm sure they made some kind of improvement. However, the author is saying that these are all "new" features, not "improved" features.

"universal search"

The original Pre's universal search wasn't exactly...universal...moreover they may be referring to "just type search"

This one could go either way I guess... The Pre/+ did have the "Universal Search" feature but it didn't search everything on you phone. WebOS 2.0 will have this ability but Devs will need to add it to their apps.

So, I guess this could be considered a "new" feature".

Not really overally inaccurate except maybe one inaccuracy.

[Let's always remember that when we talk about a product we are removing the homebrew aspect, homebrew is nice but it is NOT a selling point to the masses and the benefits from it cannot be considered]

Even though the general public won't care about homebrew, the people who are even slightly tech-savvy would view it as a selling point. Homebrew gives you the ability to completely change your phone to fit your own personal tastes and needs. It's extremely easy to do and virtually impossible to break your phone with.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Homebrew isn't something that can be advertised as a selling point because HPalm can't stand behind it. It's a use at your own risk feature.

Most people don't want to work so hard just to make their phone work. People here are the opposite and seem to derive joy out of hacking and slashing their way through the OS to get something unique that they can brag about, but that just isn't appealing to the average user.

I use homebrew, but I can't convince many others to. You have to invest time to research how to do it and you have to spend time reading these forums to get comfortable using it. and these forums, like this thread, are a cesspool of mudslinging between the haters and the webos fanatics. It's really not that pleasant to sift through if you're not really into this stuff.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    My Thoughts:

1. The only folks disappointed are geeks, and/or some folks with preware. The avg consumer and sales reps do NOT experience over-clocking, nor any of the patches we have...some now baked in. So Palm had to do something to retify the major issues with original Pre/Pre+

2. As mentioned, the Pre 2 is a replacement of the original RUSHED Pres' with better specs that will seem like night/day for consumers and sales reps, as well as things mentioned to attrack developers, etc with a worthy device running 2.0.

3. It will allow the focus for HP to become webOS before the release of thier top-tier super phones early 2011 (I think there will be various form factors and an upgraded version 2.whatever)

those are good points, but the main issue with your argument is that the pre 2 wont even be available for some months to come in the US (early 2011), making your points irrelevant.

By the time the pre 2 is available on verizon/sprint, there will be dual core android phones with front cameras and hi res SLCD/S-AMOLED screens.

btw, what type of display will the pre 2 use? i have an epic 4g and after using a super amoled screen, anything less would be a deal breaker.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    I defected to android when the Evo launched. The biggest issue I had with the pre was that it takes a little longer to open apps. I didn't realize how bad it was until i switched. I was hoping pre 2 and webos 2.0 will fix that but based on the videos Dieter posted, it is still an issue. I guess i will have to wait a little longer to come back to web os
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    I defected to android when the Evo launched. The biggest issue I had with the pre was that it takes a little longer to open apps. I didn't realize how bad it was until i switched. I was hoping pre 2 and webos 2.0 will fix that but based on the videos Dieter posted, it is still an issue. I guess i will have to wait a little longer to come back to web os
    If there's a smartphone with the os to come back to..=\
    Quote Originally Posted by badjokes View Post
    those are good points, but the main issue with your argument is that the pre 2 wont even be available for some months to come in the US (early 2011), making your points irrelevant.

By the time the pre 2 is available on verizon/sprint, there will be dual core android phones with front cameras and hi res SLCD/S-AMOLED screens.

btw, what type of display will the pre 2 use? i have an epic 4g and after using a super amoled screen, anything less would be a deal breaker.
    1. Correct, it will be ready for the holidays in the U.S. (some months).

2. Consumers dont have a clue, nor most reps the differrence b/w a single/dual core anything, or a hi res screen vs whatever. I get your point, but you are NOT who the Pre 2 is intended for unless you just want to get 1.

3. I have an original Pre on Sprint, played with the Evo, Iphone other phones and there great, but I choose to ride with webOS. Again, Pre 2 wouldnt exist today if HP didnt buy Palm, so one can just haul azzzz to the next OS, buy a Pre 2, or wait for 2011.

I will wait for 2011 to see what happens and if HP doesnt give me what I like and partner with Sprint, then I'll way my opitons, but for me its a smartphones that does its job. Swiching and chasing the latest would be like me trading in my SUV everytime a new model hits. Phone makers and sellers have created an environment of the next boom in my opinion....the latest smartphone and __Pad race.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    @mattykinsx

you absolutely have to include homebrew asa selling feature. It sets the pre above every other platform.

homebrew is a feature, even if it's only to allow themes...
    LOLWUT?

Do you even know anything about android homebrew we have great homebrew community for webos but its nothing in comparison to android community.

Our homebrew is 90% adding of features missing that are stock on other OS.

So if homebrew is a feature than android is king...
    Pre 2 is a nice bump, but as the saying goes ... it feels like "a day late and a dollar short" when compared to the iPhone 4 or some of the better HTC offerings.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Pre 2 is a nice bump, but as the saying goes ... it feels like "a day late and a dollar short" when compared to the iPhone 4 or some of the better HTC offerings.
    Agree... If this was announced in June/July people would have been all over it. But with all the new tech released this year it looks like palm will be playing catchup forever which is not good when your the low man on the pole.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Let me chime in a little.. It's called "customize" In fact you're correct about the average users aren't aware of, or even ever use homebrew. I buy products and still customize them to suite me.. even though it was ok when I bought them. It's more like preference. I only wish more webos users were aware of homebrew, maybe they would even love their phone a lot better. I know I do. :-D :-D
    what the heck is a "vip member"?
    heck, the first part of it is that palm provides the doctor so users can always go back to a factory fresh config. No other smart phone does that. So screwing it up with homebrew or just having a glitch in an official app can be overcome in just a few minutes by an average user on the phone with a carrier rep, or in a carrier store.

I can't believe android and blackberry haven't realized how critical that is.
    Uh, every smartphone allows you to restore to factory default...
    whats the big deal about 1 ghz cpu? thats the best they can do?
    If it's not a big deal, why do the Droid commercials use it as a major selling point?

using a pre oc'd to 1ghz with webos 2.0 is practically the same as a pre 2...
    Yes, but imagine what a oc'd pre 2 will be like...

Then what's the point of an app store? How do they keep selling apps if people don't want to improve their phone? Seems to me that every platform is using their app stores as pretty much their only selling point.
    Last edited by rsanchez1; 10/20/2010 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Uh, every smartphone allows you to restore to factory default...
    check this out before you say that...

Editorial: Firmware, forums, and desperation -- the dark side of Android hacking -- Engadget

then ask an iphone user what would happen if they jailbreak their phone and then take it to apple to be reset to factory fresh...
    what the heck is a "vip member"?
    Vibrant independent person. Anything else?
    [QUOTE=Imperator64;2721905]Homebrew isn't something that can be advertised as a selling point because HPalm can't stand behind it. It's a use at your own risk feature.

Most people don't want to work so hard just to make their phone work. People here are the opposite and seem to derive joy out of hacking and slashing their way through the OS to get something unique that they can brag about, but that just isn't appealing to the average user.

I use homebrew, but I can't convince many others to. You have to invest time to research how to do it and you have to spend time reading these forums to get comfortable using it. and these forums, like this thread, are a cesspool of mudslinging between the haters and the webos fanatics. It's really not that pleasant to sift through if you're not really into this stuff.

Well said
    Its as simple as this. @.0 is the big win here. they knew it. new devices are still in the works. They had to get the name out there again. would have been nice to see a super device but instead we got a super os. Now we have an improved based device that will sport the super os. When the new device is revealed with 2.0 it will blow the doors off of the rest. we just have to be patient and realize that we came into the game a lil late but we are still better than the rest ,and we can still finish strong. If we knock it out the park. Hp has the capital to afford the grand slam. if they released a droid x or iphone form factor with web os its an easy win. Palm was drowning and hp kept them alive. be glad for that. jump ship if you wanna but i bet in the next year if you do you'll be right back and mad that you left.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast