Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I would take the comScore as more official:

comScore Reports August 2010 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc

Also, you notice that on that pie chart it doesn't list anything but whole percentage points.
    Thats true.. and it was just a quick search I did to try and back up my argument. Thanks for the link!
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    Not saying there isn't an uphill climb ahead of HP, but I think we need to look at this from the scale & scope from which HP will be looking at this. First, they've got literally thousands of marketing rep types out there to push their devices globally. This is only one of a portfolio of products they'll be pushing, primarily to business, but it is a sales outlet. Additionally, HP will be looking to build the brand and lay the foundation for its position in the smartphone sphere, so lower margins on handsets right now are probably acceptable to stake out a position from which to grow.

Gargoyle
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I think to the majority of the people who have or are going to buy smart phones don't really care that much about specs. Apple's success was driven buy marketing and delivering a product that did what the marketing showed. I would be willing to bet that at least half of the people that have bought an Iphone 4 since it was released simply did because it was 'cool'.

Android's success on all carriers has largely been driven by Verizon's marketing of the Droid line. This is evidenced by everyday consumers calling Android phones on other carriers 'Droids'. Droids are the cool phones to have on Verizon. At this point Apple could put out a lump of crap and call it the iphone5 and people would buy it simply because it's 'cool'. This is the reality of our consumer driven culture.

HP/Palm need a marketing campaign that can grab some mind share. If they can come up with a campaign that shows things that webos can do that others can't in a 'cool' way and run it like crazy they can begin to carve out some mind share. Once average everyday consumers start to become aware of the HP/Palm brand they'll begin noticing them on all the TV shows they are on and slowly they can start to be seen as 'cool'.

Its sad and I wish it wasn't this way but we have to face the fact that most of the people who are have or will be buying smart phones don't by based on specs but what their TV tells them to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by birchasr View Post
    I think to the majority of the people who have or are going to buy smart phones don't really care that much about specs. Apple's success was driven buy marketing and delivering a product that did what the marketing showed. I would be willing to bet that at least half of the people that have bought an Iphone 4 since it was released simply did because it was 'cool'.

Android's success on all carriers has largely been driven by Verizon's marketing of the Droid line. This is evidenced by everyday consumers calling Android phones on other carriers 'Droids'. Droids are the cool phones to have on Verizon. At this point Apple could put out a lump of crap and call it the iphone5 and people would buy it simply because it's 'cool'. This is the reality of our consumer driven culture.

HP/Palm need a marketing campaign that can grab some mind share. If they can come up with a campaign that shows things that webos can do that others can't in a 'cool' way and run it like crazy they can begin to carve out some mind share. Once average everyday consumers start to become aware of the HP/Palm brand they'll begin noticing them on all the TV shows they are on and slowly they can start to be seen as 'cool'.

Its sad and I wish it wasn't this way but we have to face the fact that most of the people who are have or will be buying smart phones don't by based on specs but what their TV tells them to buy.
    I agree with what you're saying however...
    The first iPhone was a solid leap forward hardware wise.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_(original)
    Here was the G1 a year later, just as a reference to how big of a jump the iPhone was in 07.
    HTC Dream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Android started busting heads before the Droid. The Droid has helped it of course but that's not the only reason. Android's success is due to the fact that Google KNOWS how to market. They are the king of it.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If the Pre 2 needs to be cool in order to sell then HP has some work to do because the hardware isn't really cool nor is the brand nor the platform. I don't think putting the "HP" logo on the back of the Pre 2 is going to do it.
    Stripes that's the answer or maybe a speed fin.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If the Pre 2 needs to be cool in order to sell then HP has some work to do because the hardware isn't really cool nor is the brand nor the platform. I don't think putting the "HP" logo on the back of the Pre 2 is going to do it.
    Have to completely disagree there. I don't think there's a better looking phone on the market than the Pre/Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Have to completely disagree there. I don't think there's a better looking phone on the market than the Pre/Plus.
    All snark aside, can we objectively agree that yours is a minority opinion that isn't shared by the mainstream smartphone buyer?
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birchasr View Post

Im gonna have to disagree..

People are sheeple... Apple was the "cool" brand. Yes it had great hardware on launch, but mainly people bought it because it was cool and everyone else did. I dont know how many times I asked people what they liked about their iphone and I got "check out the app store bro.". Lame.

Droid... well these were the users that were stuck in contract with VZ and were unable to buy an iphone. They had to go somewhere...
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    I agree with yankboy.
    palm pre /plus/pre 2 has the best form factor for any smartphone out there, for me.

what is your "objective" evidence demonstrating what mainstream smartphone buyers want?

most smartphones being sold are the iphone and blackberry devices...two completely different form factors.

bottom line, it's all about having a choice of phones, OS's, and form factors...and the pre line of phones hits the sweet spot for me. There will be more webOS form factors coming as well.

honestly, if hp palm released a black slab device with a 3.7-4 inch screen, with otherwise the same specs as the pre 2 except a higher resolution (800x400), and made both only available on vzw first...there would be a similar outcry amongst palm fans and esp sprint users. And most palm fans would probably still choose the one with the keyboard IF the early reviews confirm that the pre 2 hardware is sturdy
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    All snark aside, can we objectively agree that yours is a minority opinion that isn't shared by the mainstream smartphone buyer?
    Unless we see some kind of poll data showing what smartphone users think is the coolest looking phone, then no.
    Unless we see some kind of poll data showing what smartphone users think is the coolest looking phone, then no.
    The Pre was first announced in January 2009. Since then there's been, what, 1 vertical slider released? That seems like a pretty good indication that it's not a very compelling form factor.
    incorrect.
    blackberry torch.
    dell venue pro.
    motorola android phone (release for south america somewhere)..see google ctia
    Okay, so there have been 3 vertical sliders announced since the Pre was introduced. That's not a huge vote of confidence in the form factor.

And I'm not sure if the Venue Pro should even be used as an example if we're talking about design (which I think we were). That thing's 4" AMOLED screen just puts the Pre to shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Well, Android 3.0 is supposed to make the UI much more simple. [I already think it's simple enough and so do most people I know but whatever]...
    Bad news for HTC G2, HTC EVO 4G, Samsung Epic 4G, Motorola DROID X, and Motorola DROID owners.

You will NOT get Android 3.0. Ever. Unless you're willing to hack the kernel onto your phones, anyway. Your phones don't meet minimum specifications that Google is setting for Gingerbread.
    1.0GHz+ Processor
    3.5"+ Screen
    1280x720p Resolution for 4.0"+ Screens

HTC Nexus One owners, Motorola DROID 2 owners, and HTC DROID Incredible owners MIGHT get Gingerbread, if HTC and Motorola decide to roll it out existing hardware.
    If HP and Palm don't use this opportunity to market webOS (not necessarily the Palm Pre 2), then this will be an epic failure. The Pre 2 and webOS 2.0 do some things people really like better than any other smartphones.

Activation numbers. What do they mean on their own? Not much except that a lot of users are upgrading to new phones. It can't be used on its own to predict doom and gloom market share scenarios, only huge opportunities to steal market share as far as I'm concerned.

The worst possible scenario is for webOS to go on another 6 months out of public knowledge. I don't like webOS's chances at gaining traction against new devices running Android 3.0 (Gingerbread). HP and Palm need to make people aware of webOS now to try and get some converts and build some market share prior to CES 2011 to get people excited about a more powerful Palm device.
    I know there is a super device on the way, but HP needs to start with the Pre 2 and never look back.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Well, there's the customer cash register poll.....the carrier satisfaction poll....the marketshare poll....last time I checked the data on these indices, they seemed to lead to the conclusion that few think the Pre/Pre Plus is the best looking phone on the market, thereby making your opinion a minority one.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I know there is a super device on the way, but HP needs to start with the Pre 2 and never look back.
    Just my opinion, but I think the Palm Pre 2 is the very definition of looking and going back(wards).
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123