Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    palms been failing too hard on sprint for them to risk it all again. i dont blame them one bit for avoiding palm. especially since the pre2 is probably less exciting to the public than the original was at launch.

this coming from a pre owner since launch....
    Palms been failing on sprint because they have the oldest & worst technology palm offers & they have not moved up as new hardware comes out. Pre - has the smallest 256 yet they didn't get the PRE+ for their customer base. now they don't want to offer PRE 2 either? What do they expect? How successful can you be selling cars with manual steering when everyone else is selling power steering now. There are even loyal sprint customers that are paying to get their phones converted to Sprint Pre +'s just to get the newer technology that they won't offer them.
    I know 256 to 512 isn't exactly new technology I was just making a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    Palms been failing on sprint because they have the oldest & worst technology palm offers & they have not moved up as new hardware comes out. Pre - has the smallest 256 yet they didn't get the PRE+ for their customer base. now they don't want to offer PRE 2 either? What do they expect? How successful can you be selling cars with manual steering when everyone else is selling power steering now. There are even loyal sprint customers that are paying to get their phones converted to Sprint Pre +'s just to get the newer technology that they won't offer them.
    Dude, read my post above yours and tell me why Sprint would want to take another chance at a Palm product.
    You guys are missing the bigger picture. Sprint has NEVER been the type of company to introduce the same phones that another carrier is introducing. Not at the same time, at least. Look at the new Blackberry flip phone, for example. Sprint is waiting to introduce NEW phones from HP besides the Palm Pre 2. Mark my words, they will be the first to carry the New hardware.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    When they offer a new phone, Sprint HAS to offer an upgrade discount to Premier customers (this is in their contract now). And Sprint does NOT want to waste their own money on a device they see as from old technology.

And yes, they would have to preorder a bunch of them for a launch. So they can't just buy them as customers ask for them. So they'd have to spend money up front. It would be a bad business choice for Sprint.
    Sorry, this makes no sense whatsoever.
    How can it be "bad business" if it's providing the customer what they want, and getting them to renew their contracts.

The "old technology" argument is a non-starter. They have many recent additions that are "old technology".

Sprint is hurting for customer base, and still losing ground. I can't imagine that they want to do something that is going to lose more for them.
  6. 4AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    Why should we care what a little analyst with a BA in History has to say about Palm? This guy is a NOBODY.....
    Look at this:
    HP says the new version of WebOS -- also due "soon," with an exact timeframe not yet announced -- will bring to its devices many of the features available to the iPhone and Android phones. Some of the new features include true multitasking, synchronization between contacts and social networks, HTML5 support, and universal search.
    So, all the new features you've listed have been part of webOS since 1.0.

Thanks for making it look like we're just catching up, when we had these features FIRST and ANDROID is just catching up. Google and Apple a paying people to spread lies, I swear to God.

Hell, the other platforms STILL don't have true multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    How does this upgrade discount differ from Verizon? They offer a discount if you sign a 2 year contract as well. Sprint Premier customers can upgrade 1 phone (primary) each year but the other phones are 2 years. I'm not familiar enough with Verizon but know others on VZW that upgrade early at discounts similar to Sprints. So not sure this is the correct reasoning.
    On Sprint and VZW, you can upgrade your phone at any time with a 2 year extension.

Sprint goes further by letting you upgrade your primary line every year and you only extend your contract by a year (assuming you upgrade the day you're eligible).

Basically:

You start with Sprint on January 1, 2011 (hypothetical, obviously wouldn't happen)
    John Doe starts with Verizon on January 1, 2011

On 1/1/12, you upgrade your phone -- your contract now ends 1/1/14 (would have ended 1/1/13, but you just renewed it for 2 years as of the date of your upgrade)
    John Doe upgrades his phone -- his contract now ends 1/1/15 (would have normally ended on 1/1/13, but now has a 2 year extension)
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulint View Post
    I am a sprint pre user. At first I was upset about the pre2 not coming to sprint, but I have some time to wait until my upgrade. I hope 2.0 will keep my Pre rockin on until sprint does pick up the newer Hpalm Phone. Fingers crossed
    This.

Something to remember is that Sprint offers a better upgrade deal at 2 years than at 1 year, so I think the average customer tends to wait till then to upgrade. The earliest that anyone can get that 2 year deal is June of next year. Sprint will have a much larger number of Pre users looking for an upgrade 8 months from now. I expect we'll see either a "Pre2+" type model or a completely new model exclusive to Sprint premiering on Sprint but not Verizon (like the Pre+ did on Verizon but not Sprint) sometime around June of next year.

There may also be a "Pixi2" in the works for later this year that may come to Sprint first (though I'm not interested in that form-factor, myself).

Personally, I also wonder if Sprint isn't interested in immediately getting the Pre2 because it's more of a "bugfix" and incremental update to the original hardware design than anything really new. The 1GHz processor and higher resolution camera just bring the design in line with other current phones, and the glass-screen-and-bezel change is obviously meant to fix the serious issues with the original curved plastic screen. Redesigning the USB port to address complaints about the stupid cover was probably done because it was easy to just throw it in with the screen change.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Maybe it's because of this:

"From a handset perspective, Palm is done. People in the industry, including carriers, are basically writing it off." -Lloyd Walmsley, senior analyst at Primary Global Research

source:
    HP's Palm Pre 2 limps out the door - Oct. 19, 2010
    I do not believe that HPalm is done with handsets.

Look at what Samsung and Moto have been able to do lately....
    Last edited by MaverickC5; 10/23/2010 at 07:36 AM. Reason: or Nokia
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickC5 View Post
    I do not believe that HPalm is done with handsets.

Look at what Samsung and Moto have been able to do lately....
    we shall see what happens at ces next year. if there is no new announcements ill be going android.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345