Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    There is a golden trifecta formula in having a hugely successful smartphone.

1. Great software (both OS and Apps)
    2. Great hardware
    3. Great marketing

Palm has had part of one these with the Pre, which is amazing because that's how good their OS is to keep them alive this long. If HP commits and uses their leverage to get more apps, spin out awesome hardware and create a compelling marketing campaign then it doesn't matter what Sprint does now. Because Sprint and everyone else will want to sell Palm products.

The Pre 2 is a bone and I want steak! I have to believe Rahul Sood when he said:

"everyone [developers] will want in once the presentation of the hardware is in front of them."

There's no F'ing way he was talking about the Pre 2 unless he was high. So I'm still optimistic that Steak, sizzle and all will be coming. We all just have to be patient.
    me thinks the amazing stuff is 'other devices' tablet etc
    phones are coming but lets just say an evo w webOS - not earth shattering
    some still would want the pre2hd
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    hp already said they are not in the smatphone business. Their new printer add may have a pre in it, but it clearly states any smartphone can use it. Once they get their tablet up and running, they will begin to phase out palm, and smartphones. There is simply no money to be made, unless you are apple or android. All this is imho of course..
    This is from Rahul Sood's blog 9/12/10:

"Once again I will summarize what I said above;

HP Palm is working on both smartphones and other web-connected devices.
    HP Palm is committed to delivering webOS on a wide range of devices.
    I don’t believe the “window of opportunity” ever really closes in this business. As long as there’s innovation, there’s always a window in.
    If you’re a developer, why not take a day to port your game over to Palm for some additional gravy and a chance to win some big cash?"

He went on, but this portion addressed your comment, "they are not in the smartphone business." They are a technology company, not a smartphone company. Smartphones, using webOS will be part of their ecosystem. In that same blog, he said he had a 1 hr meeting w/"Ruby."
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Here is a tweet from Rahul:

rahulsood Rahul Sood
    Haven't used the pre2 yet to be honest, therefore cant really say what I think.
    13 hours ago

Still think he was talking about the Pre 2 as the future hardware? I don't.
    Yes, I do. Because right after saying he hasn't used the pre2 and can't comment on it...he comments on it and says it's a great developer device.
    You guys are seriously picking apart a few comments Rahul said to a high level of speculation. My original point was he said there are exciting devices coming out and we know they have a pipeline of phones coming too. I'm optimistic but we'll just have to see.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Yes, I do. Because right after saying he hasn't used the pre2 and can't comment on it...he comments on it and says it's a great developer device.
    I think you need to reread Rahul's tweet I previously posted. He doesn't say the Pre 2 is a "great developer device" & even if he did, it doesn't mean there aren't other phones in the pipeline. So you don't have to go back to my previous post, here is the tweet:

"Pre2 is good for developers who want webOS 2.0 on an unlocked device. webOS 2.0 makes good use of *all* the hardware on it."

Notice he says it is "good for developers." webOS 2.0 makes good use of the hardware. Never does he say it is a "great developer device" nor does he say it will be the smartphone of the future for HP. To me he is saying it is an adequate platform for developers to do their thing & learn about the new OS.

I guess different opinions are what makes the world go round, but I don't understand at all how you interpret Rahul's words in to what you are saying.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    You guys are seriously picking apart a few comments Rahul said to a high level of speculation. My original point was he said there are exciting devices coming out and we know they have a pipeline of phones coming too. I'm optimistic but we'll just have to see.
    I agree w/you. These guys are reading (incorrectly, IMO) way too much in to Rahul's statements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if they made a "deal" with vzw that would have to be publicly disclosed. they are both public companies.

and I don't think I'm being overly optimistic. I'm looking at the long view of history from each carrier and from palm to make predictions. I've been right more often than wrong, allthough I've definitely been wrong a bunch of times.

remember hp execs have been publicly quoted about having a number of devices, we've seen other devices show up in server logs, and common sense says the pre2 was an attempt to simply fix the most common complaints about the pre.

I think the pre originally was a big benefit to sprint. the world has changed a lot since june of 2009, but in it's time the sprint pre was definitley profitable for sprint.
    Just because the companies are public doesn't mean that every detail has to be conveyed.

We simply don't know exactly why Verizon is choosing to take the Pre 2.

I can tell you this, I would be VERY SURPRISED if Sprint sees the original Pre as an overall "benefit" for them.

Between the costs of replacing everyone's Pre 4 - 12 freakin' times [mine had to be replaced 12 times before I moved on to the Evo and I've never had to have my phone replaced more than twice in a two year span previous to the Pre] and the negative publicity of a phone that keeps needing replacement...the Pre hurt Sprint.

There was even someone on here... in one of the threads that said they are getting rid of Sprint because of "shotty phones" well... that's a perfect example of how people likely view Sprint after the Pre. Sprint is trying to change their image. People have a negative opinion of their customer service and having a phone that you need to constantly get replaced doesn't help that image improve.

Even the Precentral community admits that the original Pre is...well..cheaply made.
    My mom has been using my replacement Pre for two months now. There are three different areas of the Pre that have "stress fractures" where, quite literally, about 25% of the face is eventually going to break off.
    This is a woman that has NEVER, in her 8 years of having Sprint service, EVER used her insurance for a replacement phone. She has NEVER dropped her phone.
    This is the original Pre and it's given a nasty taste to a lot of people.
    That's why Sprint isn't jumping on this.
    And that's also why the Pre 2 is such a terrible idea from Hpalm's standpoint.
    an exclusive deal would have to be disclosed because it would have an impact on the earnings projections. if it is known that the phone can't be offered on other carriers, it means a smaller pool of potential buyers for the device.
    I agree. I hope everyone remembers that this guy doesn't actually work for Palm...
    funny quote out of this article:

Some of the new features include true multitasking, synchronization between contacts and social networks, HTML5 support, and universal search.

aside from html5..... Didn't we have all that already? Or am I imagining the birthdays that I didn't enter into my contacts, or the fact I can text, email, play games, make phone calls at the same time, or I can type something into my phone and it will find it on my phone or on the web?

hahaha after barely getting through the first page I replied, and then started reading the rest of the posts. LOL. Someone should email that "educated CNN reporter" with a link to this thread and share the REAL news.
    Last edited by sledge007; 10/20/2010 at 04:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    funny quote out of this article:

Some of the new features include true multitasking, synchronization between contacts and social networks, HTML5 support, and universal search.

aside from html5..... Didn't we have all that already? Or am I imagining the birthdays that I didn't enter into my contacts, or the fact I can text, email, play games, make phone calls at the same time, or I can type something into my phone and it will find it on my phone or on the web?

hahaha after barely getting through the first page I replied, and then started reading the rest of the posts. LOL. Someone should email that "educated CNN reporter" with a link to this thread and share the REAL news.
    that was written for an audience that doesn't already know about the Pre, which is almost the entire world other than the average PC member.

so if you read it as a new product, rather than the update we see it as, those things make more sense.

the alternative would be to attach the original webOS announcement, and then just add "here are the changes to what you read about before".
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I think something is being over looked in this discussion — 4G. Sprint Doesn't need to sell phones to survive, they need to sell new contracts, or upgrade existing contracts. Right now they've got a couple of 4G android phones that do just that.

I haven't read everything on the Pre 2 yet, I don't know if it's 4G. If they are holding out for a webos 2.0 handset that is 4G, that would would be a $10 bump per phone on the contract of every existing original Pre owner still waiting to upgrade. In my case with three phones, $30 a month or $360 a year. They simply may not be interested until a 4G webos handset becomes available.
    Last edited by vergnen; 10/20/2010 at 04:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    How does this upgrade discount differ from Verizon? They offer a discount if you sign a 2 year contract as well. Sprint Premier customers can upgrade 1 phone (primary) each year but the other phones are 2 years. I'm not familiar enough with Verizon but know others on VZW that upgrade early at discounts similar to Sprints. So not sure this is the correct reasoning.
    the pre2 is really only being put out there to re-introduce webos to the masses. then they will unleash the better spec phones in 2011. that's the way i feel about it. what they need to do is advertise the pre2 more this time around. i still think webos has the potential to outdo android someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    the pre2 is really only being put out there to re-introduce webos to the masses.

Not a good way to do it if that's what it's doing. I think it's just to hold current webos users over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post

Not a good way to do it if that's what it's doing. I think it's just to hold current webos users over.
    well if that's the case they failed because all sprint users are getting the shaft.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    the pre2 is really only being put out there to re-introduce webos to the masses. then they will unleash the better spec phones in 2011. that's the way i feel about it. what they need to do is advertise the pre2 more this time around. i still think webos has the potential to outdo android someday.
    Yeah, I think you're on to something but I'd sum it up:

1.To get free publicity for Palm/HP
    2.To show off WebOS 2.0 on a tried and true platform
    3.To keep the Pre line on life support until new phones, tablets and other devices come out
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1blue View Post
    they can give that pre to big red i wont buy it any how im a long time sprint pre user and im switching to the evo this holiday
    ^exactly why sprint doesnt see the urgency in carryin the pre2
    I am a sprint pre user. At first I was upset about the pre2 not coming to sprint, but I have some time to wait until my upgrade. I hope 2.0 will keep my Pre rockin on until sprint does pick up the newer Hpalm Phone. Fingers crossed
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Here's why Sprint is not offering the Palm Pre 2.
    No, here's why Sprint is not offering the Palm Pre 2, at least immediately.

http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...any-ideas.html

People blame the carrier for crappy phone quality, even if it's not the carriers fault.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast