Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good review. Those in charge at HP must commit the last paragraph (particularly the last sentence) to memory and consider what they want to do with the Pre 2.

So much for Engadget being anti-Palm, huh?
    Yea, that review was a good read. I really don't think the Pre2 is Palm's "hail mary", but we'll need to wait for CES to be sure. If they don't announce a new top-of-the-line device, then they are in trouble...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Good review. Those in charge at HP must commit the last paragraph (particularly the last sentence) to memory and consider what they want to do with the Pre 2.
    Last paragraph:

"Despite some issues, webOS 2.0 is probably neck and neck with iOS4 when it comes to polish and ease of
    use, and that's a pretty huge thing for Palm. This isn't just a good OS, it's a great OS, and the updates in this version have made it even better. It's obvious that when combined with even slightly better hardware, it's also a fast experience that makes it easy to get real work done. And that's the problem with webOS 2.0, really. Palm is still hampered by last-generation, underpowered hardware. The Pre 2 is nice, but it's not cutting edge, and it doesn't hold a candle to the iPhone 4 or G2. If Palm wants to survive in this game -- let alone truly compete -- it needs to push killer hardware into the marketplace now. The faithful are dwindling, and the smartphone race is getting more crowded every day -- webOS 2.0 is a big improvement, but if this and the Pre 2 are Palm's hail mary, they just lost the game."
    Joshua had a golden opportunity to do a Steve Jobs "you blew it" quote instead of "lost the game" but i'll forgive him haha.

And yeah, anyone who was saying Engadget hates Palm is crazy....i honestly feel sometimes they give them a bit too much respect. But Joshua has been a fan of WebOS ...he, much like me and other people on this board, just needs it to support things that we have grown to enjoy. More API's and developers will solve Palm's biggest hurdle IMO.
    Great review, but I'm simply not seeing the speed improvements they speak of in the videos Dieter put on the site. Looks like an overclocked Pre with the old OS is pretty much the same except for the 50 percent improvement in boot times.
    I'm in the middle of reading the review in engadgets app. Ya I think josh gives every platform a fair shake, and that other thread was talking about how the commentors can b haters. Which is another story
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Yea, that review was a good read. I really don't think the Pre2 is Palm's "hail mary", but we'll need to wait for CES to be sure. If they don't announce a new top-of-the-line device, then they are in trouble...
    I agree

I honestly think the Pre2 is palm's nexus one. not meant to be a hail mary, more of a bare minimum spec'd developer phone. Palm is already sporting the pre2 on the developer page as their developer phone to be. I see this as palms way of pulling a MS WP7, where MS laid out a minimum spec sheet the OS could be run on.

in my mind, it makes sense for them to put this phone out there for developers. Gives developers an idea of the least capable hardware they can expect to develop for. 1ghz processor, 512 ram, 5mp camera. thats all pretty standard stuff these days, and it can only get better. Only hitch i see for developers is the screen size and resolution being the same, but i guess developers could scale their apps proportionately with the SDK and emulator alone.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    it's a good first step for HP Palm... hope they really "bring it" at CES 2011, with a couple top of the line phones and the PalmPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post

So much for Engadget being anti-Palm, huh?
    It's not Engadget that's anti-Palm (in fact their "intervention" pieces were very insightful), it's the comments.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    He hit the nail on the head. WebOS 2.0 looks to be a great update it's just that the hardware isn't up to spec for a premium phone. I honestly gotta believe HP know this and will market and price the Pre 2 competitively.

Sent from my Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    He hit the nail on the head. WebOS 2.0 looks to be a great update it's just that the hardware isn't up to spec for a premium phone. I honestly gotta believe HP know this and will market and price the Pre 2 competitively.

Sent from my Palm Pre
    I think the Pre2 will be a great mid-range device in HP's planned webOS line up.
    what would make the pre a high end device in the same form factor?
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    I agree

I honestly think the Pre2 is palm's nexus one. not meant to be a hail mary, more of a bare minimum spec'd developer phone. Palm is already sporting the pre2 on the developer page as their developer phone to be. I see this as palms way of pulling a MS WP7, where MS laid out a minimum spec sheet the OS could be run on.

in my mind, it makes sense for them to put this phone out there for developers. Gives developers an idea of the least capable hardware they can expect to develop for. 1ghz processor, 512 ram, 5mp camera. thats all pretty standard stuff these days, and it can only get better. Only hitch i see for developers is the screen size and resolution being the same, but i guess developers could scale their apps proportionately with the SDK and emulator alone.
    Well, at the time the Nexus one was top of the line spec'd (aside from GPU).

Yes, it turned into an ultimate developer phone (and why i think many apps work great on snapdragon CPU's even when other CPU's are theoretically better) but that's because Google sold it themselves so anyone could pick it up. It was really a test to see who had interest in a carrier free phone.

What they learned is while some many, without being able to touch and look at the phone plus lack of advertising means no one is really going to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    what would make the pre a high end device in the same form factor?
    Better internals, front-facing camera, rear camera with auto focus, higher resolution screen, HDMI-out, etc. It doesn't need all those things, but the more features the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Well, at the time the Nexus one was top of the line spec'd (aside from GPU).
    true, i should clarify that i was referring to the way the nexus one is today. its not top of the line, but it has the minimum specs (my opinion) google wants their OS to run on.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    After reading that review, I hope I have the option to wait on the upgrade should it ever be pushed to my Pre.
    2 thumbs up!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I hated the review!

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
  19.    #20  
    "We also had a handful of "too many card" notices, sometimes even when we had no cards open. It's possible that this may be due to memory leaks from apps, but a user should hardly ever see this message. We eventually had to do a soft reset to get the handset performing normally again."

Looks like they didn't fix the dreaded to many cards issue.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast