Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wow, Engadget hating on Palm....again. Didn't see that coming. Why don't they just change their web address to Apple - iPhone 4 - Video calls, multitasking, HD video, and more or www.wearestevejobsbiatch.com
    Just sayin....
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Better internals, front-facing camera, rear camera with auto focus, higher resolution screen, HDMI-out, etc. It doesn't need all those things, but the more features the better.
    The internals, I assume you mean processor and RAM, are fine.
    The externals are not practical in that form factor given current technology. The auto focus camera and possibly a higher screen resolution and/or mini-HDMI would be the only things from that list that could be practical.
    The last paragraph says it all.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    Wow, Engadget hating on Palm....again. Didn't see that coming. Why don't they just change their web address to Apple - iPhone 4 - Video calls, multitasking, HD video, and more or www.wearestevejobsbiatch.com
    Just sayin....
    Did you read the review or are you just being sarcastic? Text doesn't convey sarcasm too well. lol
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Did you read the review or are you just being sarcastic? Text doesn't convey sarcasm too well. lol
    I didn't get it either, they scored it 8/10, which is really good, but reading that post it doesn't seem like sarcasm.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Will Youtube videos continue to play when card is switched?
    It was only a review of webOS..not the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    It's not Engadget that's anti-Palm (in fact their "intervention" pieces were very insightful), it's the comments.
    actually comments mostly all seem to be pro-webos, just anti-pre hardware. looks like most folks really do prefer larger screen higher resolution phones made of more durable hardware. geek pron, if you will. as for me, i still enjoy the pre very much for what it is, and webos 2.0 will only continue to further solidy that notion for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    "We also had a handful of "too many card" notices, sometimes even when we had no cards open. It's possible that this may be due to memory leaks from apps, but a user should hardly ever see this message. We eventually had to do a soft reset to get the handset performing normally again."

Looks like they didn't fix the dreaded to many cards issue.
    I'm thinking maybe after having tons of diff apps open all day it would cause this... On my overclocked pre I hardly get the TMC error... I notice when I have several cards open for a long period of time ( few hrs w time spent in standby as at wrk I cannot hav my phone out at all times) is the only time I get that, soft reset fixes it ... :/ hopefully it wnt be as noticeable or often as current pres... Plus as said this is not final hardware or software maybe they can fix it before it hits shelves...
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The internals, I assume you mean processor and RAM, are fine.
    The externals are not practical in that form factor given current technology. The auto focus camera and possibly a higher screen resolution and/or mini-HDMI would be the only things from that list that could be practical.
    There's nothing wrong with making the form factor a little larger - my preference actually. It will still keep the same, relatively speaking, package and be able to offer a slightly larger screen - the difference between 3.1 and 3.5 isn't that much.

Keep in mind that with a slider there is more space to fit the kind of internals we're talking (screen and battery area, so the phone would not have to be as tall as an iPhone (a good 3/4 of an inch on top and bottom of the screen) to fit a 3.4 or 3.5 inch screen.
    notice josh can never bring himself to say webos is better than iphone os. And he is always saying he wants to use another phone and never does.. I think I am going to have to get an iphone to see if it casts a spell over me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    notice josh can never bring himself to say webos is better than iphone os. And he is always saying he wants to use another phone and never does.. I think I am going to have to get an iphone to see if it casts a spell over me too.
    Maybe because he thinks ios is still better than webos. Hell I'm an android fan and think ios is a better more optimized os than webos.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Great review. I agree with all he had to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Maybe because he thinks ios is still better than webos. Hell I'm an android fan and think ios is a better more optimized os than webos.
    What does this optimized mean, I keep hearing this everywhere. What exactly is iphone optimized for? Tapping the home button?

I think webos is optimized for production more so than any other os out there and I am talking about 1.4.5 not 2.0 Honestly the one fault I have with webos on the current pre is the lack of landscape virtual keyboard where one has to turn the phone to type a few digits.

Please elaborate on this "optimized" concept you are talking about
    I think he means more optimized to take full advantage of the hardware. It only works hough if you have the newest hardware, io4 on a 3G was HORRIBLE.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    What does this optimized mean, I keep hearing this everywhere. What exactly is iphone optimized for? Tapping the home button?

I think webos is optimized for production more so than any other os out there and I am talking about 1.4.5 not 2.0 Honestly the one fault I have with webos on the current pre is the lack of landscape virtual keyboard where one has to turn the phone to type a few digits.

Please elaborate on this "optimized" concept you are talking about
    Well if you ever play with an ios device you will notice that they are smooth with every transition between apps and web pages. There is little to no lag when doing just about anything. With the pre and some android phones you get choppy animations, freezing, force closes (android) or too many card errors (webos). The smoothness on ios devices can only be rivaled by the new windows phone devices.

he dosnt, he said in the review it was neck and neck.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    he dosnt, he said in the review it was neck and neck.
    Neck and neck in polish and ease of us.

Def. not feature set.
    Well if you ever play with an ios device you will notice that they are smooth with every transition between apps and web pages. There is little to no lag when doing just about anything. With the pre and some android phones you get choppy animations, freezing, force closes (android) or too many card errors (webos). The smoothness on ios devices can only be rivaled by the new windows phone devices.
    My overclocked pre is not laggy and even if it was I can get more done more efficiently than on any other phone. I think every one knows this including the tech blogs and they have a hard time saying it. It think phone dog is the only one who tells the truth. Also I think every phone manufacturer is lookng at webos and saying DAMN, Steve jobs included but he is having a good time selling an inferior platform to people just on hype. I have no doubt that they are all sorry they didn't figure it out first and are trying to see how they can match it without just copying it. And we have seen a couple give up and just start copying webos.

Back to Josh I know he has problems with the hardware and he is not a fan of how the pre handles gmail. But looking at the overall os I have trouble believing that he thinks iphone os is better just because it is smooth, fast optimised whatever
    Last edited by laingman; 10/20/2010 at 05:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I thought there were at least a couple significant points made in the review:

1) "In all, it's pretty clear that this hardware is a stepping stone to get developers and hardcore users into a solid webOS 2.0 experience, and the Pre 2 is not meant as a challenger to the Droid Xs and iPhone 4s of the world."

The Pre 2 is to get a solid webOS 2.0 experience.

2) "In terms of overall gloss, webOS 2.0 feels like a best-in-class contender, coming off as slicker and more thoughtful than most smartphone OSs on the market."

webOS 2.0 is a best-in-class contender. It is not about this piece of hardware. It is about the OS. Most of us here already thought we had a great OS, but reading this article confirms that better things are still to come.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast