Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I thought about this issue some more and I've come to conclusion that Sprint and Palm have tougher decisions then I thought at first.

Sprint will be 2 versions behind all other carriers if they are the only ones to not carry the Pre2. Future sales of their Pre can't be predicted to go well. Their current WebOS customers might likely jump ship which they have a lot of.

Sprint is also the only major carrier that Palm/HP is manufacturing a version of Pre for. That has to be very costly for Palm/HP, dedicating part of a factory to keep building a legacy phone.

Two important things to keep in mind at this point:

1. Sprint has to decide what to do at this point in regards to moving forward with it's Palm/HP relationship.
    2. Palm/HP will eventually have to stop making the original Pre for Sprint

Either Sprint could stop carrying WebOS devices entirely or have a plan to go forward with future devices from Palm/HP. Either way they have bigger, more complicated decisions to think about then the other carriers. I think that's why we haven't heard Sprint make any comment about the Pre2 yet.
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    Just wondering, what could the downside be of going with a Pre2 for Sprint? I mean, they clearly want to keep selling the Pre, so why would they balk at a Pre 2?
    (scratches head and wonders outloud) hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    The downside would be in dealing with the extra stock that Sprint has for the Pre classics. Apparently they continued having them manufactured well after it looked like they weren't going to be able to sell them off, at least that's what it sounds like.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Just wondering, what could the downside be of going with a Pre2 for Sprint? I mean, they clearly want to keep selling the Pre, so why would they balk at a Pre 2?
    Those are all good questions but you should also add if all of that is true, why haven't they came out saying they're going to sell the Pre2?
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Sprint is also the only major carrier that Palm/HP is manufacturing a version of Pre for. That has to be very costly for Palm/HP, dedicating part of a factory to keep building a legacy phone.
    I don't think HP/Palm is manufacturing anything. When you buy a new Pre, it is most likely left over stock. When you turn in your pre to get it fixed or replaced you get a refurbished one. There is nothing to lose by offering the customer what they want. In fact, Sprint would benefit from locking in people to a 2 year contract and if a newer super webOS phone comes out at CES, people will try to get that one too. Where is the downside to this?
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Those are all good questions but you should also add if all of that is true, why haven't they came out saying they're going to sell the Pre2?
    (talks out loud again) me thinks it's because they are getting the next HPalm phone instead of the Pre2. 4G device maybe.
    I got angry today,,i had to go to the sprint repair store near my house to pickup my kids replacement pixie,2 young kids were working. When they were giving me the phone one said to the other 'palm is the worst company ever'. I said 'so is sprint getting new hp/palm devices?' they looked at me and said,'dont think so,,sprint wants nothing to do with palm anymore'. I certainly hope that is not true. A manager at another store about 3 miles from this store said just the opposite. Who the hect knows at this point.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    (talks out loud again) me thinks it's because they are getting the next HPalm phone instead of the Pre2. 4G device maybe.
    So are you saying the reason why they're mum on the Pre2 is that they are refusing to carry anymore non 4G phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by maleoutkast View Post
    I don't think HP/Palm is manufacturing anything. When you buy a new Pre, it is most likely left over stock. When you turn in your pre to get it fixed or replaced you get a refurbished one.
    I don't know about that. They might not be manufacturing new devices as of now, but someone has already said they've gotten a new device manufactured in May of this year so they were continuing to manufacture them even when they seemed like they were dieing.

I don't know that HPalm would want to put its eggs into Sprint's 4G basket even whe nthey release their "super" phone since right now all the other major carriers are heading toward LTE instead of WiMax.
    That's not what I said at all. I'm saying that it's a possibility they want it to be a 4G phone when they introduce it.
    hopefully.
    where did I just read that sprint was supposed to be reimbersed for replacement hardware but wasn't? Many original pre's had really faulty hardware/just cheaply made. If reimbersment was part of their contract with palm, then hp needs to backpay them. If not, I would understand kinda y sprint would stop dealing with them. $10 4g is probably just trying to make some of that up. Even so, I think future hardware, more influenced by hp, might be more reliable, and it would bein sprints interest to rebuild that relationship. But I don't think more original pre's are being manufactured
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    The Sprint pattern has been to offer the high end device with 4G first and then follow up later with the more modest 3G version from the same manufacturer.

I think they will eventually offer the Pre 2, but not until one of the newer "super" phones is relesed.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I got angry today,,i had to go to the sprint repair store near my house to pickup my kids replacement pixie,2 young kids were working. When they were giving me the phone one said to the other 'palm is the worst company ever'. I said 'so is sprint getting new hp/palm devices?' they looked at me and said,'dont think so,,sprint wants nothing to do with palm anymore'. I certainly hope that is not true. A manager at another store about 3 miles from this store said just the opposite. Who the hect knows at this point.
    lol. i ask about palm everytime i go into a sprint store. Ive yet to talk to a representative that knew HP bought palm.
    this is what i am guessing. If we are to believe Jackson, a 4G Palm phone was on schedule to come out already...so it does make sense for Sprint to want to hold off for the (supposed) new HP/Palm superphone instead of getting the Pre2 now and then the superphone at CES.

And they better announce a superphone at CES. Actually announcing the Pre2 AND a 4G superphone AND a 4G tablet would be money for Sprint.
    (scratches head and wonders outloud) hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Thats my reaction to Sprint not getting the Pre 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The downside would be in dealing with the extra stock that Sprint has for the Pre classics. Apparently they continued having them manufactured well after it looked like they weren't going to be able to sell them off, at least that's what it sounds like.
    Thats possible, but still no fun! But then again, Sprint was the only one that didn't give Pre's away. They still don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I don't know that HPalm would want to put its eggs into Sprint's 4G basket even whe nthey release their "super" phone since right now all the other major carriers are heading toward LTE instead of WiMax.
    In the US. WiMAX is widely used around the world, more then LTE. Of course, that wont stay that way now LTE is being pushed out. But HP not supporting WiMAX is just crazy, HTC and Samsung both do, and I am sure they both will do LTE.

My question is ... What is the C40? Is that the Pre 2, or was the C40 pushed back and the Pre 2 put in it's place?

EDIT: "The Pre 2 is nice, but it's not cutting edge, and it doesn't hold a candle to the iPhone 4 or G2. If Palm wants to survive in this game -- let alone truly compete -- it needs to push killer hardware into the marketplace now. " -- Engadget.com

Maybe thats why the Pre 2 isn't on Sprint? Dan did say Google Android wasn't good enough, maybe HP Pre 2 just doesn't cut it. And it really doesn't, when Sprint is looking for powerful hardware, and might still have Pre's in stock to sell. It doesn't make me happy, but it's possible.
    Last edited by astraith; 10/19/2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: More info
    I honestly think Sprint not saying anything about getting the Pre2 has to do with the vicious cycle of "exclusive releases" that the US Cell phone market has come to expect. If they are going to get the Pre2, it would be after some measure of market exclusivity granted to Verizon. Of course I don't know why HP would expect Verizon to do anything but the hatchet job they did burying the Pre Plus, but perhaps HP's involvement will mean better marketing than Verizon did with Palm.

Alternatively, I think we all believe that CES 2011 will see the introduction of HP/Palm's first collaborative generation of devices, and it is possible that Sprint would rather be involved with something more revolutionary. Just my two cents.
    sprint need to give us the pre 2.. or should i say HP should ship sprint some limited edition palm pre 2's to sprint for current pre users..i mean how many of us have been thru 3 -10 replacement pre phones because of horrible phone issues...and yet we have been waitin with no announcement, no leaks , no updates, no anything, no plus, and majority of sprint users are the ones holding on, still promoting, still recommending... i mean where is the appreciation!?!? the consumer keep companies afloat..if we allll had of jump to droid, then what?? i bet we would have been getting some leaks then.. some answers, some replies.
    i wish they could at least say..."we have a big presentation for CES 2011 about upcoming smartphones/devices"... id feel alot better... but THIS big secret stuff of hearing NOTHING AT ALL is just ridiculous!! i wish people who left palm would leak something! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Because when they offer a new phone, Sprint HAS to offer an upgrade discount to Premier customers (this is in their contract now). And Sprint does NOT want to waste their own money on a device they see as from old technology.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast