Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    At this time Sprint is not really interested in the Pre 2 because they are concentrating their efforts on their WiMAX deployment. The Pre 2 does not support 4G so they have no interest in it at this time. The Sprint/Palm relationship runs deep so I would expect a premier device from HP/Palm later this year or definitely before CES that supports WiMax. That device would have the larger screen we have been hearing about. There are also some device considerations from Qualcomm that add credence to my suppositions. Sprint may chose to offer the Pre 2 as an entry-level smart phone for those customers that don't want to pay more for a 4G plan. Hold tight people...I believe that there is more to come. I'm not going to blow my phone upgrade or switch to Verizon just yet.
    I'm with you till the CES announcements. Then........... we'll see.
    Any rumors/leaks on if/when we'll see webOS 2.0 released for the original Pre?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

My $0.02 - Sprint is the only carrier that still has Pre Classics in stock. They don't want to announce anything regarding Pre 2 until those are sold. Once it gets real close, they'll announce Pre 2 is available. I suspect there is no more assembly line producing the Classic Pre. Meanwhile, and not truly related, Sprint is waiting for the 4G version of the new platform (to be announced at CES). It's even possible Sprint will have available the Pre Classic at the same time as the next generation HP WebOS with 4G. There are two lines of phone here. One is the Pre line which consists of the Pre Classic and the follow up, the Pre 2. The other is 4G WebOS by HP, available (for a small upgrade fee in your plan) when it comes out next spring.

My position however remains the same as stated elsewhere. I'll hang on to our Classic Pre's until the next generation Palm and if our Pre's die, it's off to Android. Pre 2 doesn't look like enough to me to acquire, even as a swap out for a dead phone. I don't want to restart my two year clock (now at 16 months and ticking) for a Pre 2.
    Author of Exch-Calc, Dog Years, Cat Years and all future creations of Pre-zy Software. Available in the Application Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Just wondering, what could the downside be of going with a Pre2 for Sprint? I mean, they clearly want to keep selling the Pre, so why would they balk at a Pre 2?
    http://forums.precentral.net/2720684-post21.html

That's a good comment to answer you. Sprint took a black eye on the Pre.
    To jump in again without any ACTUAL proof of improvement could make that black eye worse.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The downside would be in dealing with the extra stock that Sprint has for the Pre classics. Apparently they continued having them manufactured well after it looked like they weren't going to be able to sell them off, at least that's what it sounds like.
    But wouldn't they still have that stock? I mean, most hardcore webOS'ers will switch to another carrier, and the only people you'll be able to push the Pre minus on are the replacement customers (and many of those are warranty refurb replacements anyway). It seems to me that you structure a deal (buy one get one 1/2 price or something), that way parents can get a Pre 2 and then add a cheap Pre minus for the kiddies. Sprint still gets the monthly for the extra line. Win win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    My $0.02 - Sprint is the only carrier that still has Pre Classics in stock. They don't want to announce anything regarding Pre 2 until those are sold. Once it gets real close, they'll announce Pre 2 is available. I suspect there is no more assembly line producing the Classic Pre.
    Interesting forecast. You may well be right.

Meanwhile, and not truly related, Sprint is waiting for the 4G version of the new platform (to be announced at CES). It's even possible Sprint will have available the Pre Classic at the same time as the next generation HP WebOS with 4G.

There are two lines of phone here. One is the Pre line which consists of the Pre Classic and the follow up, the Pre 2. The other is 4G WebOS by HP, available (for a small upgrade fee in your plan) when it comes out next spring.
    I'm unclear as to whether you know this or are speculating.

My assumption would be that the Pre 2, if not 4G would be upgradable; that would seem to be smart business.

Do you know one way or the other that the Pre 2 for Sprint isn't 4G?

My position however remains the same as stated elsewhere. I'll hang on to our Classic Pre's until the next generation Palm and if our Pre's die, it's off to Android. Pre 2 doesn't look like enough to me to acquire, even as a swap out for a dead phone. I don't want to restart my two year clock (now at 16 months and ticking) for a Pre 2.
    My only thought on this is, as a Premier Customer (which most of us should be in order to use a data plan that allows full use of the Pre), you should be eligible for a yearly upgrade and sometimes, if you tap the right salesperson or customer service rep, you can get even better deals by negotiating.

I've been a Sprint customer since 1998 and by a large I have received excellent customer service - people have been willing to go the extra mile more often than not and it's been rare that I've gotten anything but help from them. I've lost track of how my free phones I've been given over the years.

I could easily see a Pre 2 in my future (even if I have to pay for it) simply on the strength of the discounts and early upgrades I get as a "Premier Customer."
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123