Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Sprint is smart. When the Pre first came out it was a nightmare for them. All those returns and problems. They said never again. Fool me once shame on you but you won't fool me again. Let Verizon be the test dummies and Sprint pick up the better version after that
    Last edited by NYBKPRE; 10/19/2010 at 06:47 PM.
    Sprint has sold Palm devices for so long. Why shaft us now?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by NYBKPRE View Post
    Sprint is smart. When the Pre first came out it was a nightmare for them. All those returns and problems. They said never again. Fool me once shame on me but you won't fool me again. Let Verizon be the test dummies and Sprint pick up the better version after that
    From what I've heard the Classic model is still plagued by those issues. Maybe they should update just so they can stop having to replace those devices and replace with a more "stable" device.
    this is most likely a two fold problem...

with HP still stuck with stock of the Pre and Sprint seeing The need to Carry 2 webos devices that have minor differences ..

There could be Pre 2's on the way once old stock is depleted , and its EOL'd.

This would also fit with Palms statement to talk to sprint... as HP benefits from Sprint carrying both devices.. Pre 1 to sell old stock and Pre 2 for the new stock.

Palm never said in the statement what the reason sprint didnt carry both devices NOW.. so may be once its EOL'd sprint will have an order for the Pre 2 and possibly the next Webos device.

Mind you that the Palmpad may be Sprints next WebOS device as well... too much info roaming around to speculate though
    Quote Originally Posted by NYBKPRE View Post
    Sprint is smart. When the Pre first came out it was a nightmare for them. All those returns and problems. They said never again. Fool me once shame on you but you won't fool me again. Let Verizon be the test dummies and Sprint pick up the better version after that
    QWT
    Palm is going to at the engadget reader Meet-Up(sponsored by Sprint) on Thursday. I guess I can just ask them then.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post

Sprint is also the only major carrier that Palm/HP is manufacturing a version of Pre for. That has to be very costly for Palm/HP, dedicating part of a factory to keep building a legacy phone.
    If I'm not mistaken, Verizon is CDMA as well, so Sprint is not the only version that HP is manufacturing for?

They are the same hardware, for the phone to function, they roam on each others data network.

So I'm not sure what you meant by that part of your statement.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

maybe Sprint will have Pre 2 before the big V and will say so Thursday... My crystal ball has not been working since the June before last so, IDK. Just saying. Engadget + sprint + palm = fail if nothing from palm is going to be on Sprint. Again, that's what the buzz is. Granted, Pre 2 is is nonexistant in my eyes at the moment. Waiting to see what webOS2.0 brings to my Pre(-) on Sprint.
    Just because they may or may not be a pre 2 on sprint, we can't truly rule out the possibility of any new webOS devices on the now network. Also, Sprint sponsors the Meet-Up, they may not actuality be there.

...then of course, we can hope for a magical yellow, webOS unicorn to turn up sometime soon.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Verizon is CDMA as well, so Sprint is not the only version that HP is manufacturing for?

They are the same hardware, for the phone to function, they roam on each others data network.

So I'm not sure what you meant by that part of your statement.

Rob
    They are not the same.

Verizon doesn't sell the Pre (never did), they sell the Pre Plus. Different RAM, different storage size, different center light, different back cover (Touchstone compatible). Basically the front, back and middle are all different, they share a lot of components but I wouldn't think they would come off the same line.
    Its also possible that HP has an agreement like alot of phones that Verizon is the only one to sell the Pre 2 ( for a short period of time like 2 years) . I dont know just askin outloud. The Treo had it with Sprint and Verizon coudlnt get it until the agreement was up.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I don't think the Pre2 has enough "WOW" factor for it to have an exclusive carrier deal. Sprint is just choosing not to carry the phone, like they did the Pre+...
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    where did I just read that sprint was supposed to be reimbersed for replacement hardware but wasn't?
    I had posted earlier that Sprint had told me that Sprint stores will no longer honor ANY manufacturers warranty, not just Palms. They will handle warranty returns and exchanges only for the first 30 days from what I heard. Manager told me it was because reimbursment from Palm, HTC, Samsung etc. were all horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Its also possible that HP has an agreement like alot of phones that Verizon is the only one to sell the Pre 2 ( for a short period of time like 2 years) . I dont know just askin outloud. The Treo had it with Sprint and Verizon coudlnt get it until the agreement was up.
    verizon would have to disclose any exclusive agreement.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    (talks out loud again) me thinks it's because they are getting the next HPalm phone instead of the Pre2. 4G device maybe.
    That's exactly what I think.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I got angry today,,i had to go to the sprint repair store near my house to pickup my kids replacement pixie,2 young kids were working. When they were giving me the phone one said to the other 'palm is the worst company ever'. I said 'so is sprint getting new hp/palm devices?' they looked at me and said,'dont think so,,sprint wants nothing to do with palm anymore'. I certainly hope that is not true. A manager at another store about 3 miles from this store said just the opposite. Who the hect knows at this point.
    I'd believe the two young kids! Ha. Not at all.
    Last edited by Mike5; 10/20/2010 at 12:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Just wondering, what could the downside be of going with a Pre2 for Sprint? I mean, they clearly want to keep selling the Pre, so why would they balk at a Pre 2?
    The reasons could be:
    1. Sprint knows, along with everyone else that better WebOS phones will be released in the form factor that most be want.
    2. Sprint wants a larger WebOS phone and have it work on its 4G network that can sale as well as the EVO and Epic.
    3. Sprint wants to release a WebOS phone and WebOS tablet at the same time.
    Maybe Sprint is working with Palm's hardware engineers to see if they can fit a WiMaX radio on the com board. Not a lot of room in there but I think they could do it.

I've been with Sprint since the Treo 600 and stuck around because of the Palm phones. If they won't be carrying the Pre 2 I will jump to another carrier. Looks like AT&T and Verizon are both getting the phone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    so what if the pre 2 has the same form factor...look how many treos look alike that made it to sprint
    At this time Sprint is not really interested in the Pre 2 because they are concentrating their efforts on their WiMAX deployment. The Pre 2 does not support 4G so they have no interest in it at this time. The Sprint/Palm relationship runs deep so I would expect a premier device from HP/Palm later this year or definitely before CES that supports WiMax. That device would have the larger screen we have been hearing about. There are also some device considerations from Qualcomm that add credence to my suppositions. Sprint may chose to offer the Pre 2 as an entry-level smart phone for those customers that don't want to pay more for a 4G plan. Hold tight people...I believe that there is more to come. I'm not going to blow my phone upgrade or switch to Verizon just yet.
    Last edited by milliman; 10/21/2010 at 12:05 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast