Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    All I want to hear from Sprint is them saying that even though they will not be carrying the Palm Pre 2, they are working with HP Palm on future smartphones for 2011. They don't have to tell us the specs or the exact date, but as long as we know we are safe staying with Sprint then I will happily wait for the next WebOS smartphone.
    I needed to get a new car charger for my Pre but since I've seen so many of these posts I decided to get another data point. I asked if Sprint was getting the Pre 2. The rep quickly and firmly answered a solid "no". But then I did something I don't think a lot of people are doing and told her there are rumors about a Pre 2 coming out on Sprint with 4G.

She instantly changed her demeanor confessed she really didn't know but felt pressured to say something to people coming in and asking her. She further said, "How come you guys always know before me?" I explained to her it was only a rumor and I don't even know for sure but then she opened up a little more to me.

She said a Palm rep recently came into the store and showed her the Pre 2 (Verizon) and she was impressed. She told me it was really fast and she liked the flat screen. In fact she said she would get rid of her Evo in a heartbeat for the Pre 2, I didn't ask why. But I did play with both the Evo and Epic. I could never have a Horizontal Slider like the Epic and although I like Evo's big screen it might be too big and I found myself swiping up waiting for the cards

Point of this post is reps are probably getting hassled a lot about this question but they don't know any more then you and I. In fact we might know more about rumors since I doubt many of them follow sites like PreCentral.

**Edit**
    I forgot, she did say "If a new Pre was going to come out on Sprint, it would be in December" I'm not sure why she said this especially after she denied that a new Pre was coming out but maybe it has to do with the cycle of how Sprint introduces new phones.
    Last edited by deesugar; 10/26/2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: forgot
    Sounds like good news, hopefully near the time my sprint contract is up palm has something big out or coming out, and from the rumors about foxconn or whatever their name was, there are a few things to grab attention
    good post ! but why do you have the word link in your signature and nothing to indicate what the link is too ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷ°ěṫ-Ŧḯěη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    good post ! but why do you have the word link in your signature and nothing to indicate what the link is too ?
    Because somebody complained it's too racy (when it was a pic) and I got in trouble. If you have a good idea I'll change the word "link" to something else.
    i would not be surprised if Sprint just thinks this phone isn't special enough to draw anyone but the the diehard pre fans. I mean i'm not even considering this phone. I think they may be waiting for that 4G, slab with HD recording, at the very least.

That being said i think it's perfectly plausible that they'd offer it as like web only or offer it in some way where they wouldn't have to buy a bunch without knowing whether they'll sell. Cause i think bottom line for them is Sprint bought a bunch of them at launch and didn't sell them and i'd bet there's less buzz now then before and Sprint is hedging their bets and playing it by ear at this point cause they feel burned on the original. But if it was online only or something then those that want it at least could still get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    she did say "If a new Pre was going to come out on Sprint, it would be in December" I'm not sure why she said this ...
    A: She's speculating. She really doesn't know anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i would not be surprised if Sprint just thinks this phone isn't special enough to draw anyone but the the diehard pre fans. I mean i'm not even considering this phone. I think they may be waiting for that 4G, slab with HD recording, at the very least.

That being said i think it's perfectly plausible that they'd offer it as like web only or offer it in some way where they wouldn't have to buy a bunch without knowing whether they'll sell. Cause i think bottom line for them is Sprint bought a bunch of them at launch and didn't sell them and i'd bet there's less buzz now then before and Sprint is hedging their bets and playing it by ear at this point cause they feel burned on the original. But if it was online only or something then those that want it at least could still get it.
    A web-only offer for a Sprint-compatible Pre 2 makes so much sense. I see no legitimate reason HP/Palm couldn't offer, at the very least, a CDMA version of the developer Pre 2 alongside the UMTS version. Unless CDMA carriers have such a stance against "open" devices with an unallocated ESN, I think that would be the best way for Palm to sell the Pre 2 to Sprint subscribers...

However, I really have no idea if that's even an option because I'm sure if it was possible it would happen. Don't make fun of my na´vety, guys!
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Made me look.

Now what the heck does it mean?
    He should have it refer to a page that says 'Ha, made you look!'
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    A: She's speculating. She really doesn't know anything.
    So you think she is speculating when she said a Palm Rep came to the store & showed her the Pre 2? How can that be speculation? She is either telling the truth or not.

Or did you just mean about future phones? As for future phones, I agree, she probably knows nothing.
    Last edited by Mike5; 10/26/2010 at 08:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    All I want to hear from Sprint is them saying that even though they will not be carrying the Palm Pre 2, they are working with HP Palm on future smartphones for 2011. They don't have to tell us the specs or the exact date, but as long as we know we are safe staying with Sprint then I will happily wait for the next WebOS smartphone.
    If I put my speculatin' hat on, I'd wager Sprint can't announce anything prior to the Verizon launch of the Palm Pre 2.
    I mean, the Facebook bombardment was cool, but doesn't really cost Sprint any money.

I think it would be WAY more amusing to organize a mass "sit-in" of their online chat lines.

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I think someone should make a movie named "Bad Blood: Sprint Debacle" starring Palm.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    one thing i noticed that doesn't work in favor of sprint picking up the phone is though i heard request for the phone the vast majority say "i'll leave it you don't get the phone," or "i love my pre" etc. That is they were almost all people that are already sprint pre customers. I haven't heard the outcry from the general public or non pre users. So Sprint may be going, "carrying this phone isn't gonna grow our subscriber base." Again that's why i'd probably do an online only pre order thing. That way they don't have to go through the expense of buying 2 million and having them sit on shelves. But i'm not sure the outrage extends very far past the current pre users
    I'm leary of what reps say but I ope Sprint does get the Pre 2 (I on AT&T) Sprint people need a refresh of the pre.
    There's an even simpler math. The last two quarters of Evo and Epic being on top has seen Sprint adding customers. They just announced a net add of 276,000 postpaid CDMA customers today. Best in who knows how many quarters. When they were pushing the Pre, they continued to lose customers.

No amount of "If you don't get the Pre 2, I'm outta here!" threats by email or Facebook can change that. If you were a decision maker there, would you prioritize saddling up for another major go-round with WebOS? Take your personal love for the OS out of the equation and think about Sprint's fiduciary duty to its shareholders.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There's an even simpler math. The last two quarters of Evo and Epic being on top has seen Sprint adding customers. They just announced a net add of 276,000 postpaid CDMA customers today. Best in who knows how many quarters. When they were pushing the Pre, they continued to lose customers.

No amount of "If you don't get the Pre 2, I'm outta here!" threats by email or Facebook can change that. If you were a decision maker there, would you prioritize saddling up for another major go-round with WebOS? Take your personal love for the OS out of the equation and think about Sprint's fiduciary duty to its shareholders.
    I won't try to talk down the new Android phones because they are a factor. BUT, I also hope part of the reason customers are being added is 1) they just won the award for Best Customer Service & 2) Their pricing plans. Not only did they add mobile to mobile, but the competition--1st AT&T & now Verizon--are going to specific tiered data plans. 3) First to have 4G. I know it isn't LTE & I know it's not everywhere, but I know people that rave about it.

My hope is that Sprint adds enough customers they won't be tempted to go to the AT&T/Verizon pricing plans. What they have +4G + good service really makes a difference.

I still want them to get the Pre 2 but I don't plan to go anywhere unless they say they will never carry webOS again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Or did you just mean about future phones? As for future phones, I agree, she probably knows nothing.
    I meant future phones. She already said she didn't know if Sprint was getting the Pre 2.

"She instantly changed her demeanor confessed she really didn't know [about Sprint getting the Pre 2] but felt pressured to say something...I forgot, she did say "If a new Pre was going to come out on Sprint, it would be in December" I'm not sure why she said this..."

Sounds like a bunch of speculation to me.
    I want to be a customer service chat agent. I can just make up stuff and tell customers that the Palm Pre 3.5 is coming next quarter. But seriously I have to hand it to these guys. They are outsourced and live in far away countries and try to understand us but basically have no clue about our culture compared to theirs. I was chatting with a Palm customer service rep earlier and said "good night, afternoon, or morning. whichever it is there!" And he goes "it's morning here." At 9pm CST, so obviously these guys are on the other side of the globe trying to understand our needs/wants. They have no clue what a Palm Pre 2 is and I'm sure all they do when they have someone request it is get up, take a bathroom break, and come back and tell you they forwarded it.

ANYWAYS.. Yes, I would love to be them...
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast