Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    is anyone else upset over the fact that the pre 2 does not have a magnetic compass like the iphone and some of the android phones. Or am I just weird. This would be another tool to help developer create unique apps.

number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    You're not weird. This is a very helpful feature, especially in the Maps application. It's a shame it was left out of the Pre2, but not a surprise, as the hardware is so similar.

People have also voiced doubts about whether a magnetometer and touchstone could get along.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

People have also voiced doubts about whether a magnetometer and touchstone could get along.
    lol, your exactly right. They can't coexist as is right now because the phone's back cover has huge (relatively) magnets on it to stick to the touchstone. We may never get a magnetometer.

interesting.

number1pete

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    The back cover doesn't have magnets in it. The touchstone has the magnets, the cover just has metal.

Although all phones that can vibrate do have an electromagnet in them.
  5.    #5  
    interesting...so those black things in the back cover are not magnets just hunks of metal. ***performs experiment with nearby touchstone and pre plus using an alkaline AA battery. Finishes experiment with the look of Eureka!*** You are right sir....good call.

As far as the magnet in the vibrating engines, apple and others figured out a workaround so i am assuming that wont stop HP, but good point non the less.

I just want my magnetometer!

number1pete

Super PreKernel app

And speakers have regular magnets, forgot that one. So the Pre shouldn't really have any more interference than phones that do have compasses.
    Last edited by alpinejag; 10/19/2010 at 01:39 PM.
    Can anyone explain to me the purpuse of the compass? I'm not a hiker or anything, so why do I need a compass? If the phone has GPS (we'll forget about the VZ issue for a moment) then why is a compass necessary? I'm ignorant on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Can anyone explain to me the purpuse of the compass? I'm not a hiker or anything, so why do I need a compass? If the phone has GPS (we'll forget about the VZ issue for a moment) then why is a compass necessary? I'm ignorant on this.
    Compass shows ur direction if ur not moving. GPS will only give that to you if you are.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums Beta
    how come nobody complains about a lack of a sextant? That, imo, is in the same category

and while I'm on it, where's the damn sundial?
    Thanks, alpinejag, for the clarification on the Touchstone magnet issue. That's good news -- instead of making it impossible to have both a TS and a compass, it just makes it inconvenient (as you'd probably have to calibrate the compass each time you took the phone off the TS).

As for the usefulness of the compass - YMMV, of course, but the #1 use case I'm a fan of is in Google Maps. Having the map orient itself based on what direction you're facing is a big help, particularly in a situation where you're stopped.

EDIT: having a compass aboard also makes augmented-reality apps like Layar possible.

This would also be a big help in geocaching situations, but I understand that's a niche market of users.
  11.    #11  
    the magnetic compass will help significantly with virtual reality apps. You know the ones that overlay street names and other info on top of the camera app when you are aiming the camera at things.

number1pete

Super PreKernel app

It's not really being able to see the compass that's the biggest plus, its that apps can use it. It makes augmented reality apps possible.
    My Garmin in my car doesn't have a built in compass, but I always see what's in front of me as being up. Why can't that be an option?
    Does it always get it right, even when you fire it up for the first time and are standing still?
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    My Garmin in my car doesn't have a built in compass, but I always see what's in front of me as being up. Why can't that be an option?
    It is possible to determine your direction while moving using GPS (Like Garmin and TomTom do) however for applications to determine direction quickly a magnetometer is required. For Astronomy Applications a compass is a must.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~

What is the big deal about having a compass on a phone? I don't think I have ever needed one, on a phone or stand alone. Sorry, there was that one time in school where I had to learn how to use one, but that is it. Is there some magical thing that a compass brings to party that I am missing?
    Double Post! Mod - Please remove!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post

What is the big deal about having a compass on a phone? I don't think I have ever needed one, on a phone or stand alone. Sorry, there was that one time in school where I had to learn how to use one, but that is it. Is there some magical thing that a compass brings to party that I am missing?
    Get better placement and dir in google maps for one..

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post

Dear Lord, has reading the whole thread before replying gone out of style or something?

• Directional orientation in Maps
    • Direction information when standing still
    • Augmented-Reality apps like Layar and Google Sky Maps

All of those things are impossible without a compass. Does it make a difference to most people? Not yet. Are features like that catching on quickly in the smartphone space? You bet.
    not quite exact and immediate, but I don't have to travel more than 5 feet before it knows which way I'm going. As far as astronomy apps, I just bought SkyOrb and it IS awesome. Being that I'm old-school (and know things like Polaris aka the North Star is north, the moon travels roughly the same plane as the sun, I can pick out Orion, Cassiopeia with ease), it's not unbearable, not saying I wouldn't like it, but I can deal with it. I'm not rushing out for an Android or iPhone for a compass that's for sure.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast