Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    As a current Pre Plus owner and lover of webOS, I can't fault the Pre 2 for doing what it's designed to do. To be a great communication device in a small form factor. I love my Palm Pre Plus, small enough to fit in my pocket comfortably and has the capabilities of heftier phones. It runs circles around my fiance's Droid.

I've been reading a lot of comments here and there, and the general outcry is the small screen size. Well, what about those of us who don't want a large screen? I never found myself thinking I needed a larger screen on my Pre Plus. It's fine as is.

No front facing camera? Who cares, unless it's running on 4G, I don't see how important it is. Plus, how popular is FaceTime anyway?

I overclocked my Pre Plus to 1GHZ and it's a joy to use, I can't imagine what a Pre 2 will be like, especially after overclocking.

This is obviously some hold over hardware before HP, so I'm just going to sit back and wait till next year.
    Palm Pre Plus on Verizon || I blog at butr.net
    One thing people forget is that the Palm screen is a true 24-bit color display, most other phones only have 16-bit color. So, even though the Pre screen is smaller, it has a much better color gamut than most other phones.
    all that bad no
    is good no
    it should have been the pre plus not the pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    One thing people forget is that the Palm screen is a true 24-bit color display, most other phones only have 16-bit color. So, even though the Pre screen is smaller, it has a much better color gamut than most other phones.
    I thought AMOLED screens had much better contrast which made colors pop more?

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I think if anything, Sprint should just replace the Pre with the Pre2 keeping pricing and everything the same. And all replacements for Pre users should be a Pre2. Now that would make me a happy, loyal customer!

I should add, that Sprint should do this on their own not because a bunch of people are b-itching about it. I see this as the balls in their court and as a longtime Sprint customer I'll wait to see what they'll do but I'm staying silent.
    +1 I don't see this as a "new" Pre, but a minor spec bump just they can.
    Last edited by sinime; 10/19/2010 at 01:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I think the current Pres display looks fine. I care more about functionality. The Samsung Galaxy phones looks superb, but their version of Android (especially on Verizon) is horrid.
    Palm Pre Plus on Verizon || I blog at butr.net
    the beauty of this world is that EVERYONE is entitled to their own oppinion, some people like it, some people dont like it, the fact of the matter is its a nice upgrade, but worthy to the competition of other high end smartphones in the market, maybe but probably not. people r dissapointed its not an "awe inspiring" phone coming to shatter the marketplace, but overall its a nice upgrade... to reiterate, thats IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by barkins View Post
    As a current Pre Plus owner and lover of webOS, I can't fault the Pre 2 for doing what it's designed to do. .
    That's not much help for us Pre-Minus users.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    If the current Pre and pre+ were not overclocked, there would have been some novelty in the pre2 1GHz processor. The Glass screen is a great addition. I think of the pre2 as what the pre+ should have been.

Palm/HP has basically triedto fix all their hardware issues with the pre2 e.g. glass screen, side plastic bezel, exposed USB door etc.

Not sure if it is worth the upgrade for existing pre+ users. The Sprint pre users have more to look forward to since they did not get the pre+, but again not sure if pre2 is gonna be on Sprint either.

Hopefully HP/Palm have a few more webOs smartphones up their sleeves for CES.

Hope is a good thing guys!!
    Yes it is all that bad because it will NOT have huge adoption numbers which will again hurt WebOS and keep it a small platform which will hurt the number of developers which again will hurt adoption of the platform.
    I think the titular question answers itself. Anything Palm releases at this point which is merely "not that bad" or "respectable" or "good...for people who maybe don't own a Pre already" - as I have seen in the comments here today - IS that bad.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I'm a plus user, and I'd buy the Pre 2 if I had just a little bit more cash. I think it's a nice spec bump. I would have liked to have seen a little more, but at this point, I'd still choose a Pre 2 over any other phone. One of my biggest selling points is still the smaller form factor. No other smart phone can match the Pre(+)(2), except the pixi (well, the bb torch comes close, but who the hell wants to use bbos?).
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    That's not much help for us Pre-Minus users.
    Not really Palm or HP's fault. They can't for Sprint into carrying new devices which honestly they should have done with the Pre and Pixi Plus versions at least.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think the titular question answers itself. Anything Palm releases at this point which is merely "not that bad" or "respectable" or "good...for people who maybe don't own a Pre already" - as I have seen in the comments here today - IS that bad.
    Your opinion. Others have their own opinions and that's why there are as many devices on the market as there are and not just the iPhone and a few iPhone clones like the EVO.
    no it's not that bad. The problem is.... It's not that good. It's not as good as the iphone4. It's not as good as the droid 2. It's not as good as the Evo. It's not as good as the Epic. It's not as good as the fascinate It's not as good as the phones that are getting people excited, so it won't get people excited. No excitement= no sales. No sales = no developers. No developers = no apps. And that my friend IS that bad.

and when your planning to comeback from DEAD LAST PLACE, you have to do better than ok... Better than good. You have to be great. This phone is not that. Would it do for most of us here? Perhaps. But to get anykind of traction, they need a device with hardware that attracts the masses, not a tightnit group of fans.

sure there are a few of us who want a small device, who don't care about a second camera.... But we are the only ones who bought the first pre. What about this device is going to bring NEWCOMERS? The reason palm had to be bought is because they couldnt make a phone that appealed to lots of people. For them do the same thing 'not that bad' doesn't seem to apply.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 10/19/2010 at 02:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Not really Palm or HP's fault. They can't for Sprint into carrying new devices which honestly they should have done with the Pre and Pixi Plus versions at least.
    Sprint is still cycling through 2009 refurbs and inventory for the original devices, and it's almost 2011. You think they "should" have signed on to upgraded versions when they were still trying to get rid of that inventory? Wow....

As to your other point, I love diversity in devices and form factors. In fact, I'd sure love to see some from Palm's WebOS lineup. So would everybody else. That's the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    no it's not that bad. The problem is.... It's not that good. It's not as good as the iphone4. It's not as good as the droid 2. It's not as good as the Evo. It's not as good as the Epic. It's not as good as the fascinate It's not as good as the phones that are getting people excited, so it won't get people excited. No excitement= no sales. No sales = no developers. No developers = no apps. And that my friend IS that bad.
    So you'd rather HP had scrapped the minor upgrade completely, making existing and prospective webOS customers limp along with the extremely dated hardware available now, until the big announcement most of us expect in January?

I don't think I follow that logic.

The Pre 2 will only tarnish the brand for those of us who've been following the webOS saga, because it's a disappointment to our heightened hopes. For "regular folks" considering purchasing a webOS product, the Pre 2 will provide a better experience than what's out there currently. This is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    So you'd rather HP had scrapped the minor upgrade completely, making existing and prospective webOS customers limp along with the extremely dated hardware available now, until the big announcement most of us expect in January?

The Pre 2 will only tarnish the brand for those of us who've been following the webOS saga, because it's a disappointment to our heightened hopes. For "regular folks" considering purchasing a webOS product, the Pre 2 will provide a better experience than what's out there currently. This is good.
    Better how? The battery life is identical, as is the screen size, resolution, form factor, storage, and app loading speed. GUI doesn't seem faster. And that's with WebOS 2.0.

Is there really a significant difference between this and the Pre Plus Verizon just finished EOLing?
    Sprint is still cycling through 2009 refurbs and inventory for the original devices, and it's almost 2011. You think they "should" have signed on to upgraded versions when they were still trying to get rid of that inventory? Wow....
    I'll tell you what is "wow" the fact that you think they are still sitting on first production run devices. I'm certain Sprint continued to have new devices manufactured for them even after the Plus models were announced and continued to after those versions were released. Sprint's foresight was poor and Palm couldn't force them to change their agreement.

Given how adamant HP is about trying to drive webOS adoption it's likely that an agreement could be made to deal with old devices that Sprint still has and replace with the Pre 2. That of course is speculation as we aren't privy to negotiations and true thought processes of the two companies, but based on observation it seems more likely Sprint is the problem factor here. After all, Verizon and any other carriers with Plus models have FAR less incentive to update to the Pre 2 than Sprint.
    Better how? The battery life is identical, as is the screen size, resolution, form factor, storage, and app loading speed. GUI doesn't seem faster. And that's with WebOS 2.0.

Is there really a significant difference between this and the Pre Plus Verizon just finished EOLing?
    I should have said, "will hopefully provide a better experience." This is on the hardware end, assuming that the beefier appearance of the Pre 2 and tweaks like the glass screen will translate into greater durability and fewer hardware issues. A risky assumption, maybe, but I have to believe HP is pouring enough money into the builds of this thing to make it much improved over the Pre/Pre+ hardware.

If that's accurate, this translates to a better experience in that customers will no longer have to report to a service and repair center 4-6 times over the life of their device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I'll tell you what is "wow" the fact that you think they are still sitting on first production run devices. I'm certain Sprint continued to have new devices manufactured for them even after the Plus models were announced and continued to after those versions were released. Sprint's foresight was poor and Palm couldn't force them to change their agreement.
    I don't "think"....I know because the refurb previous to the one I now have had the old milky center button on it, and that was just a few months back. But I guess Sprint was supposed to somehow break Verizon's exclusivity agreement, then pay "new phone" prices for Pre and Pixi "plus" devices that were getting featurephone-esque customer satisfaction ratings (read: not good) that even the HTC Hero was trouncing much less the Evo or the Epic.

Riiiiiiiight.

Given how adamant HP is about trying to drive webOS adoption it's likely that an agreement could be made to deal with old devices that Sprint still has and replace with the Pre 2. That of course is speculation as we aren't privy to negotiations and true thought processes of the two companies, but based on observation it seems more likely Sprint is the problem factor here. After all, Verizon and any other carriers with Plus models have FAR less incentive to update to the Pre 2 than Sprint.
    What incentive does Sprint have, exactly? They finally stopped the customer bleeding with the Evo and now the Epic. People are super happy with the devices by the top notch customer satisfaction ratings on Sprint.com. More importantly, they are driving revenue with the $10 "premium data" charge. Palm was offering more of the same. WP7 Pro is on the way along with likely sequels to their top end Android devices. It likely makes better business sense to wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

the minor update shouldn't have been on the 'roadmap' in the first place. When the first pre launched, june 6th, 2009 they were already working on the next device. A few months later they realized that a number of factors were keeping them from succeeding, one of them being the hardware wasn't attractive to a mainstream consumer. At this point, they should have began questioning and improving their road map. Fast forward to the pre plus... Hmmm still no traction, maybe we should start emphasing some of the other designs we've been testing. All of these decisions would have been made well b4 the HP buyout, so lets stop using that as an excuse. It was a fail all around.

minor upgrades only work if poeple actually LIKE the original. You ever heard of 'if it aint broke don't fix it? Well if it is broke... You get the picture?

and all of this is coming from a sprint pre user. My 3rd pre is falling apart. But honestly i'd rather get another one off of ebay than waste my upgrade on this...

besides what makes you think that there is anywhere near a significant amount of people 'considering' webos?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast