Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No reason not to keep handing out whatever refurbs they have as long as they have them. As for new devices, the one I just got was made in May.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    the minor update shouldn't have been on the 'roadmap' in the first place. When the first pre launched, june 6th, 2009 they were already working on the next device. A few months later they realized that a number of factors were keeping them from succeeding, one of them being the hardware wasn't attractive to a mainstream consumer. At this point, they should have began questioning and improving their road map. Fast forward to the pre plus... Hmmm still no traction, maybe we should start emphasing some of the other designs we've been testing. All of these decisions would have been made well b4 the HP buyout, so lets stop using that as an excuse. It was a fail all around.
    Cool rant dude, but that's not really the point I was addressing. I'm saying the thing was very likely almost done baking in the oven prior to the HP buyout, and that releasing it instead of trashing it is a good move. Whether it should have been designed this way in the first place isn't what I'm talking about.

besides what makes you think that there is anywhere near a significant amount of people 'considering' webos?
    I never said there was. In fact, I'm sure it's an insignificant amount at the moment. My point is, if I were HP, I'd rather sell whatever small trickle of new customers I had a Pre 2, rather than a Pre +. If I had my new 2011 Palm NukeBlaster Pro 8500 ready, of course I'd prefer to sell that to them. But since it's not ready yet, I'd rather sell them a Pre 2 than a Pre+.

You choose to run your imaginary HP the way you want, and I'll do the same with mine. But I think I'd make more hypo-dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Cool rant dude, but that's not really the point I was addressing. I'm saying the thing was very likely almost done baking in the oven prior to the HP buyout, and that releasing it instead of trashing it is a good move. Whether it should have been designed this way in the first place isn't what I'm talking about.
    What I find myself wondering is just how much work could Palm have possibly put into the Pre 2? Nothing about the specs and design indicate any sort of, you know, effort being put into it.
    ^ Hah. That's a pretty solid point. Wonder if they just didn't have enough employee designer power, or if morale and productivity was so low at Palm after the botched Pre launch that the work pace was too slow to produce anything but this.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Its not bad, even a substantial upgrade from a Sprint Pre but ask yourself this question. Other than WebOS 2.0, does the phone offer hardware features that make you drool, or when combined with some software features, say "wow that's cool"?

The device is way too ho-hum for my liking. WebOS 2.0 on the other hand does look sweet as can be..

I'm beginning to think that either HP is incredibly dumb in releasing this device, or, more likely, are going to market it at the entry level point ($50 - $100 a piece) and followup in late Q1/early Q2 2011 with a top of the line duel-core phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

I never said there was. In fact, I'm sure it's an insignificant amount at the moment. My point is, if I were HP, I'd rather sell whatever small trickle of new customers I had a Pre 2, rather than a Pre +. If I had my new 2011 Palm NukeBlaster Pro 8500 ready, of course I'd prefer to sell that to them. But since it's not ready yet, I'd rather sell them a Pre 2 than a Pre+.

You choose to run your imaginary HP the way you want, and I'll do the same with mine. But I think I'd make more hypo-dollars.
    ok, but your point doesnt address the real issue... prior to the HP buyout this should have been seen as a bad idea. not only that, but how much time do you think this took to engineer? its a bunch of modular upgrades! i bet a hacker could get webOS running on similar hardware in a week.

so do i fault HP for releasing the stopgate device? no. it wont hurt them (unless ofcourse its a super dud like the pre) , but it wont help them either. But i do fault palm for having a software only mindset leading up to the buyout. in fact it was this attitude that lead them to need to be bought out in the first place! its frustrating that they still hadn't learned their lesson after 4 fluke phones, and it has carried over to a fifth.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 10/19/2010 at 04:09 PM.
    How is it 2011 and they think it's ok to release a camera phone with no zoom or focus? That is a straight deal breaker in my book. Total absurdity.

Edit: I can deal with it being 5mp, but not being able to take a pic of anything less than 5 feet away is utter garbage and my biggest peev about the current hardware. Not like the Pre 2 is coming to Sprint anyway, so I don't know why I'm getting myself worked up either way.
    With such specs Sprint and Verizon should replace existing phones for free... Well, at least Sprint should.., just to keep existing customers...
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    With such specs Sprint and Verizon should replace existing phones for free... Well, at least Sprint should.., just to keep existing customers...
    What phone has a faster processor and more ram?

Does that also mean all Windows 7 phones should be free since they have the same specs?
    Last edited by Beanis; 10/19/2010 at 07:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    What phone has a faster processor and more ram?

Does that also mean all Windows 7 phones should be free since they have the same specs?
    they have a form factor that people perceive as more valuable, so no.. supply and demand...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12