Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Watching precentral's demo, the Pre 2 still suffers from major lag after clicking an app's icon! The device they used had a 1ghz processor and 512 RAM, so while it is a pre-release hardware device, it's still the same essential specs.

This is going to hurt webOS 2.0 and the Pre 2 big time! People who were "selling" (or not selling really) the Verizon Pre Plus are going to be just as against it when they see the same lag time.
    The only answer I can think of for this, that it is really early software, the version of webos 2.0 that is being released is essentially still beta (I honestly don't know why they are doing that)

I think a comparison needs to be done with native apps to see if they have been enhanced (like maps)
    Didn't see anything about the entire GUI being hardware accelerated either. But I do thank Palm for helping me feel better about my decision to jump off the train and commit to Android.

My heart goes out to Sprint Palm fans.
    im pretty sure somewhere within the 2.0 demo he stated that it was missing features and wasnt at all a final build, so who knos what will happen in the "coming months" with polishing and finishing... if thats ur biggest concern, well, i really dont kno what else to say haha
    I think part of the problem with the slow app-opening-times, is with how the apps are made. I mean, some apps open right away, but go to a picture for loading, while others stay cards for a while.

I would imagine a developer could off-load the opening time onto another portion of the app to make it look like it opens faster.

I would bet the apps all have about the same loading time when taking into consideration internal loading times.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    im pretty sure somewhere within the 2.0 demo he stated that it was missing features and wasnt at all a final build, so who knos what will happen in the "coming months" with polishing and finishing... if thats ur biggest concern, well, i really dont kno what else to say haha
    Trust me, the lag is a HUGE reason for why a lot of people did not like the Palm Pre/Plus and why Verizon sales people refused to sell it (along with hardware issues). The lag in the demo is maybe 20% better than the Palm Pre Plus, but that's it. It should be twice as fast (since app launching of non-PDK apps was at 500 mhz and now it should be 1ghz) but it's not.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I think part of the problem with the slow app-opening-times, is with how the apps are made. I mean, some apps open right away, but go to a picture for loading, while others stay cards for a while.

I would imagine a developer could off-load the opening time onto another portion of the app to make it look like it opens faster.

I would bet the apps all have about the same loading time when taking into consideration internal loading times.
    No, watch the demo. EVERY app they open has a very noticeable lag. Memo, facebook, web browser -- they all have a big lag time during loading. In fact, I opened up a web browser in a Sprint Pre (NO overclocking) at the same time as the Pre 2 demo by precentral, and they opened in the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Didn't see anything about the entire GUI being hardware accelerated either. But I do thank Palm for helping me feel better about my decision to jump off the train and commit to Android.

My heart goes out to Sprint Palm fans.
    I have to agree. The Pre 2/webos 2 press release (lol) only reaffirms i made the right decision to leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I have to agree. The Pre 2/webos 2 press release (lol) only reaffirms i made the right decision to leave.
    But...but...Rahul Sood said "Everyone will want in once the presentation of the hardware is in front of them"!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think Palm's going to find the adoption of webos phones is very poor with this very, very slight upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    The only answer I can think of for this, that it is really early software, the version of webos 2.0 that is being released is essentially still beta (I honestly don't know why they are doing that)

I think a comparison needs to be done with native apps to see if they have been enhanced (like maps)
    Keep dreamin... webOS 2.0 is what you see.

However if you prefer to be dreamy, by all means continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Keep dreamin... webOS 2.0 is what you see.

However if you prefer to be dreamy, by all means continue.
    no I know that it is a beta version for a FACT, this has been said by palm devs in the dev forums, an early beta at that which is far from complete.

slight update if you watch the video on the front page with the multitasking comparisons..the browser loads up almost instantly when he has 50+ apps open
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But...but...Rahul Sood said "Everyone will want in once the presentation of the hardware is in front of them"!
    He misled everyone. I'd bet the Pre 2 will LOSE WebOS users, not gain them.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    He misled everyone. I'd bet the Pre 2 will LOSE WebOS users, not gain them.
    Pretty sure he means the mansion device for CES
    beta software has extra debugging tools running and won't have been optimized yet, so it should be a bit faster.

also, webOS Internals will figure out how to OC to improve it even further. You know they will!
    no I know that it is a beta version for a FACT, this has been said by palm devs in the dev forums, an early beta at that which is far from complete.

slight update if you watch the video on the front page with the multitasking comparisons..the browser loads up almost instantly when he has 50+ apps open
    And yet, just launching Facebook, a Twitter App, and another card off a fresh reboot produced the same old "glow-n-wait" scenario we have now. After the minute plus wait to load into WebOS, of course.
    At this point, shouldn't he mean that about every device they release?
    If webos 2.0 is coming preloaded on the pre2 which is being released this fri, should this be the final version, or at least very close?
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
  19.    #19  
    Two things:

1. I don't think that's what he meant as he was talking about new WebOS 2.0 and the new devices and this is the device being released with it

2. NOWHERE has HP said a phone device is launching at CES.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    If webos 2.0 is coming preloaded on the pre2 which is being released this fri, should this be the final version, or at least very close?
    I missed that. Great point. This is it. I don't think PreCentral would run an article entitled WebOS 2.0 REVIEW if it was still a beta.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast