Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    ok, just went and go my wife's evo. vs. my 800mhz pre.

I loaded up Angry birds at the same time. My pre took 6 seconds longer. But then I looked at what it loaded. On the epic, angry birds has 2 buttons, music, and almost nothing moving. on the pre, it has 6 buttons on the menu, music and tons of birds and animation flying all over the screen.

sooooo, android/evo can suck it.
    LOL. Whatever animation you may or may not see flying everywhere, I'd rather play a physics game on a 4-inch screen then a 3-inch one. HUGE difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    LOL. Whatever animation you may or may not see flying everywhere, I'd rather play a physics game on a 4-inch screen then a 3-inch one. HUGE difference.
    gosh dang it did i post in the wrong thread again?

nope, this isnt the screen size thread...it is indeed the loading time thread
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    save for when a web page loads, which is the same on any phone or computer
    That may be true for android, but not webOS. On android you can't do anything with the page until it's done loading, webOS on the other hand, as soon as it has rendered any text you can start scrolling. I do it all the time, often clicking on links before the page is even done loading. I think ios is the same as android, but it's been awhile since I played with an apple, I need a refresher.
    The iPhone is the same as my pre when loading webpages, you can move it around and click links while it's loading. The cool thing with webos is I can open different webpages on multiple cards, read one site, click a link, then long swipe to the next card. It's really cool, while on the iPhone I can still do something similar, click a link then hit safari tab and go to my next loaded webpage in a different tab, it's just not as seamless or as fast as on the pre.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    That may be true for android, but not webOS. On android you can't do anything with the page until it's done loading, webOS on the other hand, as soon as it has rendered any text you can start scrolling. I do it all the time, often clicking on links before the page is even done loading. I think ios is the same as android, but it's been awhile since I played with an apple, I need a refresher.
    It seems to me you've never surfed on an Android phone. With Android, the included browser, Dolphin browser, and Firefox all allow scrolling and link-clicking while a page is still loading. Why do Prealots always feel the need to lie about other phone capabilities when comparing them to the Pre?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It seems to me you've never surfed on an Android phone. With Android, the included browser, Dolphin browser, and Firefox all allow scrolling and link-clicking while a page is still loading. Why do Prealots always feel the need to lie about other phone capabilities when comparing them to the Pre?
    This is no lie, I did this just yesterday on the stock evo browser. Perhaps 3rd party browsers are different? The stock browser however was not.

p.s. Thanks for the refresher fernandez21
    Android is amazing, iOS is amazing, WP7 is amazing, webOS sucks.

Why there aren't webOS fan sites on the net?
    Newness Developments apps:

gosh dang it did i post in the wrong thread again?

nope, this isnt the screen size thread...it is indeed the loading time thread
    So you pointed out that there was extra animation on WebOS why, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    I'll post more of a detailed review tomorrow morning, but let me just say this. It's probably a combination of the new hardware and webOS 2.0, but the UI is smooth. Like iPhone smooth. Apps open up very quickly. Stacks work great. It was extremely impressive and I think they took a lot of people by surprise.
    also remember with our current pres its been doctored up with patches like faster load cards, kernels etc. Image what the hombrew community will do with a pre 2 upgraded with patchs. Though Like mikah states most android phones nowadays come out of the box with out delays, and major issues with the OS. I too used the samsung epic, and if it wasent for just liking the webos as a whole, and hoping for a better product soon, I would have switched. Im not sure about the above mention of the device, but I can agree there are no load times when doing simple things, and sometimes takes a few extra seconds on a pre. Though I will say I do enjoy my patches and kernels and with them I am completly satisfied with my patched and kernel up pre. I have no problems doing so until HP and Palm catches up with the masses in optimizations. So to me its a step in the right direction for our still new born OS, and hopefully one day there will be a time that there will be no need to patch my device unless its for extra things, not to enhance what already should be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    In the How fast is your phone? thread we tested two apps that are native on the Pre, EVO, Epic, Droid X, BlackBerry Torch, Storm, and Bold: Facebook and Google Maps.

Everyone else was faster than even a rooted Pre overclocked to 1 GHz.

By a lot.

The reason is that the webOS concept is to make apps like web pages that your phone will re-interpret each time the app is opened. The phone then turns the Java and HTML/CSS into usable machine code on the fly. webOS is like giving the phone the ingredients for a half-baked cake and having it bake the cake every time you open the app. If you look at a webOS app, you can see most of code.

Unfortunately this makes it pretty easy for someone to take your code. For instance, a 7-day trial program can be changed to seventy years. These inherent limitations are reasons some developers say is why they will not release their programs on webOS.

Other platforms let a developer "compile" their program into machine code that can be tweaked and optimized. So you don't have to bake the cake each time each time you open an app. The developer can then optimize the final code putting the icing on the cake.

That is how a 2009 BlackBerry with just as slow a processor can be four times as fast as a Pre.

More memory will help too but in the end the other phones will, by their design, be faster at the same processor speeds. That is the different between interpreted and compiled code.

- Craig
    PDK apps solve most if not all of what you mention.
    The version of 2.0 we have is the final version that they are shipping on SFR in France, but there are still features for 2.0, like exhibition, that aren't here just yet.
    So you pointed out that there was extra animation on WebOS why, exactly?
    hold your breath here, wait for it, wait for it

animation takes longer to render vs. a virtually no moving screen

i know its hard to grasp, let it sink in awhile
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    The only grasping I see is you grasping at straws if you offer that as proof of app load parity between the two operating systems.
    hold your breath here, wait for it, wait for it

animation takes longer to render vs. a virtually no moving screen

i know its hard to grasp, let it sink in awhile
    They're just bitmaps, dude. It's not like Angry Birds is making the Pre load in textures and render geometry.

If the amount of activity on the title screen is related to how long it takes to load, then this should take an eternity to fire up:

ok, just went and go my wife's evo. vs. my 800mhz pre.

I loaded up Angry birds at the same time. My pre took 6 seconds longer. But then I looked at what it loaded. On the epic, angry birds has 2 buttons, music, and almost nothing moving. on the pre, it has 6 buttons on the menu, music and tons of birds and animation flying all over the screen.

sooooo, android/evo can suck it.
    That's because angry birds on android is free and on every other platform you have to pay for it...so since you payed for it they thought they give you something a little extra for your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    They're just bitmaps, dude. It's not like Angry Birds is making the Pre load in textures and render geometry.

If the amount of activity on the title screen is related to how long it takes to load, then this should take an eternity to fire up:

Everything you add takes more time to load. Also, which hardware are we comparing?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Newness Developments apps:

Ahhh oh no it's not perfectly immediate!!!

Neither is Android or iOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    However, mikah912 can be irritating sometime,but he is absolutely right - WebOS is reaching 2.0 version mark, but is underdeveloped in many areas. It should be rewritten and optimized fully, with native apps in PDK, and also I admit, I too hate to see edit field with cut, copy, paste in non editable apps. It really smells like amateurism. So it is unpolished and unfinished, and looks like a promise that never will be fulfilled.
    I think everyone is failing to see the full power of WebOS 2.0 and what new hardware will clearly mean for how you use your device. Currently, everyone is forced to close cards in order to save on system resources (yes even the Pre + lags with many cards open).

Just like Dieter, I plan to use stacks to its FULL potential. I will make stacks for things like social media, games, and messaging/calender/email and leave them open all the time. That means INSTANT access to all of my most used apps (solves the "lag" you all speak of). When you have a multitasking device why bother opening and closing apps all the time?? THAT seems like a big waste of time and doesn't fully leverage the multitasking power of WebOS. The release of 2.0 changes “the game” in a big way. No more will load times be a huge issue once you have stacks and the hardware to fully support them.

I will say it again: People need to realize the true power of WebOS. The new hardware released "over the next 12 months" will really make it shine. Just take the Pre2 that everyone loves to bash. With the additional/faster RAM and more efficient processor, consumers will have the opportunity to fully push their device to its capabilities. Stacks will organize your most used apps and users won’t need to close cards unless they are truly finished with them.

With additional form factors bound to come out next year, the Pre 2 is just the beginning of an amazing year to come for WebOS fans. HP is leveraging its resources heavily into development and it’s a safe bet they will be showing it off at CES. Be patient it will be worth the wait....Bank on it!

-Chris
    Last edited by Dchris222; 11/02/2010 at 10:16 AM.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast