Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    1. 6sec
    2. 5sec
    3. 20sec
    4. 14sec
    Stock AT&T pre plus with 1.4.5

For compairson here are te numbers for my iPhone 4.
    1. 3sec
    2. Instant
    3. 9sec.
    4. Instant
    iPhone 4 with os 4.1
    Btw the times for google maps is from when the map is fully loaded and the gps has found me.
    I got with my pre minus @ 1ghz

5 seconds
    4 seconds
    8 seconds
    6 seconds
    Palm could perhaps rewrite all of the native apps in the PDK, which does run compiled code, to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not possible on any mobile OS as far as I know. How many apps can you open at precisely the same time on your Pre? I'm stuck at one on my overclocked one running 1.4.5.
    How is clicking on more than one app not opening at the same time?
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    How is clicking on more than one app not opening at the same time?
    Because you are opening one while the other is already open. As I said, on my Epic 4G - with several apps already running along with widgets - I can open apps that took WebOS 2.0 on a 1ghz Pre 2 over TEN seconds to open in a second.

The app and boot loading speed is simply not competitive with modern offerings. Whatever they're planning on announcing at CES - however much dualcore OMAP processing power it might have under the hood - is going to be hobbled by this still unoptimized and unfinished OS.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    kel101 you might want to keep what's on the palm dev forums on the palm dev forums.

just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    He misled everyone. I'd bet the Pre 2 will LOSE WebOS users, not gain them.
    I am not regretting my Evo purchase one bit. As of now Palm(HP) is dead in the water. The Pre 2 is a lackluster offering at best. What ever the next device that releases after it better be groundbreaking. Another lackluster device like this could be trouble because not only does it have to compete with Android and IOS, you have Windows 7 mobile devices right around the corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Trust me, the lag is a HUGE reason for why a lot of people did not like the Palm Pre/Plus and why Verizon sales people refused to sell it (along with hardware issues).
    The sales reps also got more commission for selling the Droids. That's a HUGE reason as well. I don't blame them for wanting to make more money lol
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I have to agree. The Pre 2/webos 2 press release (lol) only reaffirms i made the right decision to leave.
    as soon as i can find a cheap evo or epic ill be jumping too.
    Quote Originally Posted by deman19901 View Post
    I am not regretting my Evo purchase one bit. As of now Palm(HP) is dead in the water. The Pre 2 is a lackluster offering at best. What ever the next device that releases after it better be groundbreaking. Another lackluster device like this could be trouble because not only does it have to compete with Android and IOS, you have Windows 7 mobile devices right around the corner.
    wp7 won't even make a small dent in the market. i have a feeling hp/palm are dead in the water too. i love my pre but the evo is still calling my name.
    i didnt think it took very long to load... ofcource ive been using a sprint pre for the last year and a half...
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i didnt think it took very long to load... ofcource ive been using a sprint pre for the last year and a half...
    Me too but I've tried out an Evo, a Samsung Epic and an iPhone 4. The Pre 2 is WAAAAY behind the game.
    The few webos 2.0 reviews that I've seen praise the speed and responsiveness of the OS and UI in particular. I believe Engadget used the term "best-in-class". So I might suggest we get this thing in our hands first before passing final judgment.
    It was configured in that format.. Can it be change? Good question. It doesn't bother me at all.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    The app load time is a trade off for the rest of what webOS can do. My wife has an Epic, switching between open apps is not even close to as good, so try to talk that up all you want I won't be buying into that one. Android and iOS are way behind in that area. Notifications are superior on webOS as well. You trade one thing for another with mobile OSes at this point.

And really, 5 seconds to open an app..........oh no! I just lost 4 seconds! What will I ever do to go on?!?! BTW, my wife and her Epic, I constantly beat her in looking stuff up and doing other things with my Pre. Load time is not the end-all be-all.
    Why do I sense a lot of moaners on this forum? Maybe my senses need a cleaning...maybe not.
    ok, just went and go my wife's evo. vs. my 800mhz pre.

I loaded up Angry birds at the same time. My pre took 6 seconds longer. But then I looked at what it loaded. On the epic, angry birds has 2 buttons, music, and almost nothing moving. on the pre, it has 6 buttons on the menu, music and tons of birds and animation flying all over the screen.

sooooo, android/evo can suck it.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    There is a lot of moaning, but they have a point. WebOS is inherently slower when it ccomes to loading apps.

Palm made this tradeoff not so much for multitasking capabilities, but to make it easier for web app developers to develop for webOS. This has paid off in some cases, but mostly it hasn't. Palm was supposed to be able to tap into a much larger pool of potential developers. But I think Palm has found it difficult to actually reach out to those folks.
    There are other good reasons to use web technologies, but if app loading times is your most important criterion (which is something of a silly position if you ask me), it's not such a good way to go.
    pfft.. This makes me laugh. Seriously.. It really ruined your day that it takes that extra step to load smething on a phone?

as far as my knowledge serves me.. Webos actually closes down an app. Whereas in ios you hit a button that sends you to the home area ans the app progress is saved and can be resumed
    man
    people have turned into needy greedy teenage girls lol
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Well, I haven't used a Pre 2 yet, or gotten to use a phone with 2.0 installed, but I do know one thing. Josh Topolsky (of Engadget) tried to switch to a Pre Plus on Verizon maybe a month ago and complained on twitter how laggy it was. Now go back and read his review of webOS 2.0. The thing that stood out to me was how he raved about the speed and smoothness of the OS, so the combination of 2.0 and the better processor seems to have made a big difference, at least to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    The app load time is a trade off for the rest of what webOS can do. My wife has an Epic, switching between open apps is not even close to as good, so try to talk that up all you want I won't be buying into that one. Android and iOS are way behind in that area. Notifications are superior on webOS as well. You trade one thing for another with mobile OSes at this point.

And really, 5 seconds to open an app..........oh no! I just lost 4 seconds! What will I ever do to go on?!?! BTW, my wife and her Epic, I constantly beat her in looking stuff up and doing other things with my Pre. Load time is not the end-all be-all.
    Switching apps in Android is whatever one wants it to be. You can stick with the default "hold down the home button and see recently opened apps" approach. You can hit the back button in an app to go to the last app you were working on. You can install one of the many different task switchers that give you way more visual options like Power Strip or Itching Thumb.

But as someone who's a Pre and Epic owner, I can say that Android on the Epic saves you time in many other ways. It boots up in a third of the time. When I pass the phone to people to show photos of my son, I don't have to warn them that the blurry image they're looking at will get better in a few seconds....on every single photo. In fact, I can reliably take photos of him doing great impromptu stuff without worrying when the green shutter button is coming back. Facebook and Twitter load instantly, especially photos from friends' albums. The voice functionality definitely saves me a lot of time, especially when I'm in the car.

The thing is...I don't really know what waiting is like at all on the Epic, save for when a web page loads, which is the same on any phone or computer. But every thing just starts up when I press it. I don't remember seeing a loading circle or screen any time recently. I used to wait for pictures to load and look at glowing cards all of the time. Supposedly, 2.2 is right around the corner with a much more efficient JIT compiler or whatever...but I'm not anxiously awaiting it or anything else. Even the supposed makeover coming with Gingerbread or whatever....I'm good. Launcher Pro gives me a sliding dock, cool 3D app drawer, and I already have the 3D photo gallery via Samsung. My Epic is pretty aesthetically pleasing as is.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast