Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I really dont see any lag?

One second is honestly lag?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

I guess that depends on how it compares to the same task on an iPhone4, since that's what the industry like to compare with.

to me the overclocked pre plus is plenty fast enough.
    It's still not as fast as launching an app was on the Treo 755p with PalmOS.

But I'd rather have webOS 1.1, 1.4.5, or 2.0 any day.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Two things:

1. I don't think that's what he meant as he was talking about new WebOS 2.0 and the new devices and this is the device being released with it

2. NOWHERE has HP said a phone device is launching at CES.
    Of course they wont say they are releasing something at ces..that ruins the suprise, if anything at least we should get a tablet
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

http://www.precentral.net/webos-20-review

Watch the video. The twitter app took 5 seconds to open. The Facebook app took 11-12. On my Epic 4G, each is pretty much instant. And I don't mean instant to the main screen. I mean, instantly bringing you your updated feeds.

It's slow. The rest of the industry is leaving these sorts of boot and loading times behind.
    I feel like that's a very small downside to having true multitasking. I don't really care I have to wait <1 second for most things. Except for Google Maps, that app sucks in loading time.
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    I feel like that's a very small downside to having true multitasking. I don't really care I have to wait <1 second for most things. Except for Google Maps, that app sucks in loading time.
    Uh, when I get those instant loading times I mentioned, I am running multiple apps and widgets already.
    In the How fast is your phone? thread we tested two apps that are native on the Pre, EVO, Epic, Droid X, BlackBerry Torch, Storm, and Bold: Facebook and Google Maps.

Everyone else was faster than even a rooted Pre overclocked to 1 GHz.

By a lot.

The reason is that the webOS concept is to make apps like web pages that your phone will re-interpret each time the app is opened. The phone then turns the Java and HTML/CSS into usable machine code on the fly. webOS is like giving the phone the ingredients for a half-baked cake and having it bake the cake every time you open the app. If you look at a webOS app, you can see most of code.

Unfortunately this makes it pretty easy for someone to take your code. For instance, a 7-day trial program can be changed to seventy years. These inherent limitations are reasons some developers say is why they will not release their programs on webOS.

Other platforms let a developer "compile" their program into machine code that can be tweaked and optimized. So you don't have to bake the cake each time each time you open an app. The developer can then optimize the final code putting the icing on the cake.

That is how a 2009 BlackBerry with just as slow a processor can be four times as fast as a Pre.

More memory will help too but in the end the other phones will, by their design, be faster at the same processor speeds. That is the different between interpreted and compiled code.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/19/2010 at 01:47 PM.
    I don't have too much lag on my pre plus, but it's disappointing seeing that on the new hardware it runs almost the same and that the battery life isn't noticeably better. At least I don't feel too jipped that it's not coming to at&t, though a glass screen would be nice.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    I don't have too much lag on my pre plus, but it's disappointing seeing that on the new hardware it runs almost the same and that the battery life isn't noticeably better. At least I don't feel too jipped that it's not coming to at&t, though a glass screen would be nice.
    I could be wrong as i didn't pay much attention, but isn't Palm releasing unlocked dev phones for gsm? And it probably doesn't take much to be considered a dev.
    yup. I noticed the lag immediately when watching the video. 2.0 does have some cool stuff in it. I am really torn as to whether I should jump ship or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I could be wrong as i didn't pay much attention, but isn't Palm releasing unlocked dev phones for gsm? And it probably doesn't take much to be considered a dev.
    yeah, I acutally registered when it was free even though i'm not, so I could do that, though it would be a hard sell to my wife that I would be spending between $400-$500 on a new phone when I just got my pre plus 2 weeks ago. I've been think about maybe returning it, but who knows how long it will be until a new webos phone come to at&t, last time it took 11 months, and I'm really enjoying webos right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    I don't have too much lag on my pre plus...
    Would you run the tests from the How fast is your phone? thread and tell us if you are getting different results than all the other Pre+ phones that were tested?

Those tests showed the Pre+ was twice as slow in the these test as the other phones, even 1 GHz overclocked Pre+ against the old BlackBerry's...

If you compile your code, you do it once, do it right and optimize it. If you have to re-interpret your code every time the program runs, you will always be slower than the code that is already compiled.

Processor and memory help, but optimization can make all the difference.

- Craig
  14.    #34  
    Watch PreCentral's video starting from minute 4:18 and you'll see the 1.4.5 Pre Plus device (UNCLOCKED, runnign at 500mhz) loads the web browser in about 95% of the time the new Pre 2 does! VERY minor improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Rql_X-Y3eII...sion=3#t=4m18s

NOTE: you have to skip ahead to 4:18. For some reason, that's the FIRST time Dieter actually presses the apps at the same time.
  15.    #35  
    BTW, the overclocked Pre Plus is FASTER than the WebOS 2.0 1ghz device!! To see this, watch the above video starting from minute 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Uh, when I get those instant loading times I mentioned, I am running multiple apps and widgets already.
    Then try to open >1 app at the same time.
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    BTW, the overclocked Pre Plus is FASTER than the WebOS 2.0 1ghz device!! To see this, watch the above video starting from minute 5.
    what? no its not, He even says the pre2 is faster but only slightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Then try to open >1 app at the same time.
    Not possible on any mobile OS as far as I know. How many apps can you open at precisely the same time on your Pre? I'm stuck at one on my overclocked one running 1.4.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Would you run the tests from the How fast is your phone? thread and tell us if you are getting different results than all the other Pre+ phones that were tested?

Those tests showed the Pre+ was twice as slow in the these test as the other phones, even 1 GHz overclocked Pre+ against the old BlackBerry's...

If you compile your code, you do it once, do it right and optimize it. If you have to re-interpret your code every time the program runs, you will always be slower than the code that is already compiled.

Processor and memory help, but optimization can make all the difference.

- Craig

1. 6sec
    2. 5sec
    3. 20sec
    4. 14sec
    Stock AT&T pre plus with 1.4.5

For compairson here are te numbers for my iPhone 4.
    1. 3sec
    2. Instant
    3. 9sec.
    4. Instant
    iPhone 4 with os 4.1
    Btw the times for google maps is from when the map is fully loaded and the gps has found me.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    In the How fast is your phone? thread we tested two apps that are native on the Pre, EVO, Epic, Droid X, BlackBerry Torch, Storm, and Bold: Facebook and Google Maps.

Everyone else was faster than even a rooted Pre overclocked to 1 GHz.

By a lot.

The reason is that the webOS concept is to make apps like web pages that your phone will re-interpret each time the app is opened. The phone then turns the Java and HTML/CSS into usable machine code on the fly. webOS is like giving the phone the ingredients for a half-baked cake and having it bake the cake every time you open the app. If you look at a webOS app, you can see most of code.

Unfortunately this makes it pretty easy for someone to take your code. For instance, a 7-day trial program can be changed to seventy years. These inherent limitations are reasons some developers say is why they will not release their programs on webOS.

Other platforms let a developer "compile" their program into machine code that can be tweaked and optimized. So you don't have to bake the cake each time each time you open an app. The developer can then optimize the final code putting the icing on the cake.

That is how a 2009 BlackBerry with just as slow a processor can be four times as fast as a Pre.

More memory will help too but in the end the other phones will, by their design, be faster at the same processor speeds. That is the different between interpreted and compiled code.

- Craig
    Thanks for this concise rundown of how webOS apps are launched! I've recently been wondering what it is about webOS that makes it so much slower. Does this approach to code also explain the long boot times on phone power-on, or is there another culprit there?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast