Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I'm still hoping for a compass, but doubt that as well. I don't think will have solved the interference with the touchstone magnets and keep that feature for other form factors I guess.
    Guys, guys, forget about the touchstone magnets. The touchstone back does not have any magnets in it!

I have just done a test waving my touchstone back all over the digital compass in my watch. It had zero impact.

There is a magnet in the speaker though but I guess all phones have to work round that problem if they want a compass.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Why?, the leak said it did have a glass screen.
    it said a "flat" screen, I don't think it mentioned a "glass" screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    There is no reason for changing the form factor if they're not changing the materials.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Newness Developments apps:

what about the cam?
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    There is no reason for changing the form factor if they're not changing the materials.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url= Beta[/url]
    I assumed they changed the design, so the scrren shouldn't go all the way to the edges and cat cracked from every small knock.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    The fact that Engadget and PreCentral have not ran the "photo leak" story speaks volumes considering all of the other leaked stories about the Pre 2 they have ran recently. Probably because both online publications have devices they are currently writing a review for.

Device will probably drop this week on VZ. If it does let's cling to the hope that the reason Sprint isn't next in line is because they are working on a 4G model. 4G isn't available in my area so it would be a shame to have to pay the 10 dollar premium but I am interested in new hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    The fact that Engadget and PreCentral have not ran the "photo leak" story speaks volumes considering all of the other leaked stories about the Pre 2 they have ran recently. Probably because both online publications have devices they are currently writing a review for.

Device will probably drop this week on VZ. If it does let's cling to the hope that the reason Sprint isn't next in line is because they are working on a 4G model. 4G isn't available in my area so it would be a shame to have to pay the 10 dollar premium but I am interested in new hardware.

I was thinking that myself. It has been very quiet on the front page. Dieter and Derek must be busy.
    maybe Dieter is getting a long review ready.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Guys, guys, forget about the touchstone magnets. The touchstone back does not have any magnets in it!

I have just done a test waving my touchstone back all over the digital compass in my watch. It had zero impact.

There is a magnet in the speaker though but I guess all phones have to work round that problem if they want a compass.
    Your Wrong
    The touchstone back DOES have magnets in it. I know because I replaced them with stronger ones.
    That being said, your right, manufactures must have a work around since all phones have a speaker magnet.
    Here is hoping for a compass.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Just found this.
    How Does A Digital Electronic Compass Work?

How Does a Digital Compass Work?
    An electronic compass such as the Wayfinder uses a patented magnetic sensor technology that was first developed by PNI, Inc. for the U.S. military. This technology is called " magneto-inductive" and is the largest advancement in compass technology since the fulxgate was invented 60 years ago. The magneto-inductive technology is able to electronically sense the difference in the earth's magnetic field from a disturbance caused by external elements such as ferro-magnetic materials and the magnetic field generated by automobile electrical systems. WayFinder digital compass has an embedded micro controller that subtracts the automobile magnetic field (the distortion) from the stronger earth magnetic fields resulting in a highly accurate compass reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Your Wrong
    The touchstone back DOES have magnets in it. I know because I replaced them with stronger ones.
    That being said, your right, manufactures must have a work around since all phones have a speaker magnet.
    Here is hoping for a compass.
    We must have different backs then I also took mine out and they are just metal discs with no magnetic properties, and as I said they did not disturb my digital compass.

Anyway, a compass would be nice in a new pre but I would prefer a gyroscope. Both would be good :-)
    I just hope it has a better camera haha

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Quote Originally Posted by 504_kid View Post
    I just hope it has a better camera haha

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    It has a 5MP Camera, and it does not have a glass front. Same ole plastic.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    This is some interesting stuff... cant want to get my hands on it! But Im looking forward to a HP Phone!
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    The more that leaks about this phone the more I am tempted to pick one up when it comes out. I love my pre but I do wish for a bigger screan sometimes but other than that I love the form factor. If this launches this year on sprint i may have a hard time denying my nerd lust for a new device. I am going to try and hold strong till CES at least
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    We must have different backs then I also took mine out and they are just metal discs with no magnetic properties, and as I said they did not disturb my digital compass.

Anyway, a compass would be nice in a new pre but I would prefer a gyroscope. Both would be good :-)
    I agree. The TS back has little metal disks that are not magnetized, at least not normally. Hold a paperclip over a TS back--no movement at all.

But I also agree that a digital compass should in theory be able to be calibrated to work around any magnetic interference that comes from the device itself.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    What are the chances that they also squeezed in a digital compass, and gyroscope? if they only put one in which would you prefer? Personally i'm rooting for the compass now and gyroscope be in the next set of phones if we can't have both now
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    To me the pictures that leaked look like the phone screen is built the exact same way that the one on the Pixi is. Which is a plastic flat screen. The earpiece even looks like the one on the Pixi
    Cellphone History- Audiovox CDM9155> Sanyo 5150>Samsung SCH-1000>Samsung N400> PalmTreo 300> Palm Treo 600>Palm Treo 700P> Palm Centro> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by remix2000 View Post
    To me the pictures that leaked look like the phone screen is built the exact same way that the one on the Pixi is. Which is a plastic flat screen. The earpiece even looks like the one on the Pixi
    Still doesn't mean it can't be glass. We are going to either have to wait for another leak or for an offiicial unveiling before we can tell for sure

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Why is this not on the front page yet? hmmm I think P|C has some NDA protected info!
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast