Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    5MP maybe?
    My crystal ball isn't working today, so IDK. Would hope so.
    That what I wanna know. If it has autofocus, I'd probably upgrade.
    My guess would be no! But we will know VERY soon!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

i hear its going to be similiar to this

its all speculation though
  6.    #6  
    my friens said is has 5MP
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    via @joshuatopolsky Vintage from the 90s. I'm old. Vintage from the 90s. I'm old. - img.ly
    about 4 hours ago via Twee2

Twee is only available for webOS, I believe, and the full dimensions are larger than that of the current pre.

2576x1928=4966528 which would be 5mp
    webosroundup seems to suggest that it might be a 5MP camera.

Palm Pre 2 Photo Sample Emerges | webOSroundup
    Quote Originally Posted by eserrano250 View Post
    webosroundup seems to suggest that it might be a 5MP camera.

Palm Pre 2 Photo Sample Emerges | webOSroundup
    5MP is not the same as a better camera - unless you want to print posters.
    2-4 MP is plenty of MP for normal photos. More than that gets quickly contra-productive (more storage, needs more time to process and store, chip too small leads to less quality with higher MP).

A really better camera has auto-focus, better optics, optical zoom (space problem on phones) and/or better flash.

The more MP == better thing that looks so good on primitive comparison charts is stupid.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    exif data from Topolsky's pic:

EXIF tags in 'original_CIMG0017.jpg' ('Intel' byte order):
    --------------------+----------------------------------------------------------
    Tag |Value
    Manufacturer |Palm
    Model |Pre

Orientation |top - left
    Date and Time |2010:10:17 12:38:37
    x-Resolution |72.00
    y-Resolution |72.00
    Resolution Unit |Inch
    YCbCr Positioning |centered
    Compression |JPEG compression
    x-Resolution |72.00
    y-Resolution |72.00
    Resolution Unit |Inch
    Exif Version |Exif Version 2.2
    PixelXDimension |2576
    PixelYDimension |1944

Exposure Time |1/516 sec.
    FNumber |f/2.4
    Exposure Program |Normal program
    Aperture |0.18 EV (f/1.1)
    Focal Length |3.2 mm
    Components Configura|- Cr Cb Y
    Flash |Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Exposure Mode |Auto exposure
    White Balance |Auto white balance
    FlashPixVersion |FlashPix Version 1.0
    Color Space |Internal error (unknown value 65535)
    EXIF data contains a thumbnail (16885 bytes).
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    2-4 MP is plenty of MP for normal photos. More than that gets quickly contra-productive (more storage, needs more time to process and store, chip too small leads to less quality with higher MP).

A really better camera has auto-focus, better optics, optical zoom (space problem on phones) and/or better flash.

The more MP == better thing that looks so good on primitive comparison charts is stupid.
    I agree with tholap! If Palm goes to a 5mp camera it may not be able to upload pictures directly to facebook or even email pictures from your phone. The best improvement would be to make the phone auto focus so it can take close-ups and macro pictures. The quality to normal photos on the Pre is actually very good.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  12.    #12  
    maybethe will be an option to make larger and smaller pictures, maybe that's included in the "camera API" that was promised?
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post

Whilst I agree with most of this, at least if you start with a large image and have on device editing, there is scope for some useful digital zooming/cropping and still being left with a decent image.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    It is true that more MP does not equal better pictures, it is also true that MP really does make a difference up to about 5MP. Cameras nowadays have 8,10,12 MP which is in most cases a waste; however you do need about 5MP for any reasonably good point and shoot.

This is a big deal because it means that the Pre is getting to the point where it can substitute for a simple point-and-shoot digital camera. MP is not the end-all-be-all, but this is an important piece of the puzzle. Right now I often carry my phone, a camera, and an MP3 player. I'm really hoping that the Pre2 will bring a better camera and more storage to the phone, so that I can leave my mp3 player and camera at home.

That's what I really want from a phone, which is why I seem to be pretty excited about the Pre2 in comparison to those who are more interested in front cameras etc.

So, in short, hooray!
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    There certain times where my VZW Pre can't send image SMS because the file is too large. Now that the camera will be 5MP, won't the problem happen more often than not?
    Yeah, that would follow. And images you send via email over 3G are likely to be compressed all to hell.
    Well MMS should always be consistent in if a picture taken by the Pre can or cannot be sent. I would assume if your having problems with that it would some other problem.

But no, if there is a hard size limit the phone will be capable of shrinking it to a reasonable size, I mean if the phone is made for a provider it should be catered to the restrictions of that provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Well MMS should always be consistent in if a picture taken by the Pre can or cannot be sent. I would assume if your having problems with that it would some other problem.
    Not necessarily. Last spring, users trying to send video over MMS on Sprint (Pre) were running into problems at all sorts of arbitrary points: some could get a ten second video through and others would get a "file too large" error with even a 4 second video. Eventually, I believe, it was determined that not just the length, but the complexity of the video affected the file size. So a 4 second video of a parade under a rainbow at noon took up more space than a 10 second video of, say, a sedate party in a dimly-lit room.

Not sure if the same applies for still images, but I imagine it's a possible reason for the OP's troubles.
    is the camera lens flush with the back case? or is it indented into the back case? reason i ask is that little hole is a dust magnet!!! and i always have to q-tip out pocket dust to take better pics..
    ^ I see I'm not the only one.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast