Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Can somebody post a sharp photo of a bar-code. I'd be interested to see how far you have to be away.
    Unfortunately, I think the answer to your question is "no." Somebody can't post a sharp photo of a bar code. Not from this camera. I don't think it's possible. :-/

This is the best I could get after trying a few environments and light levels. Flash off, about 2-3 inches away:

You just can't realistically expect to get better results from this camera, guys. We need autofocus in the next iteration, or some magical "super depth and shallowness of field."

EDIT:

This is as close as I could get to "sharp." Too far away for a barcode reader. I think the dream needs to die until we get new hardware, guys.

Last edited by VCI_Cell; 11/23/2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: typo in range
    I don't understand the fascination with barcode readers anyway.
    I still think that with low-level access to the camera, with the ability to adjust the sharpening filter and to capture multi-frame data, something could be done with those bar codes. But I'm disappointed the macro performance doesn't seem to be any better than the Pre.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    I don't understand the fascination with barcode readers anyway.
    True - I don't begrudge anyone their interest in them, but I've had the ability to read barcodes on my Evo for six months and I think I've used the app about six times. Almost all of them were for QR codes on the sides of Zipcar keychains and movie posters - and every time it was "just because I could." Very cool whiz-bang factor, but not terribly useful in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474
    I still think that with low-level access to the camera, with the ability to adjust the sharpening filter and to capture multi-frame data, something could be done with those bar codes. But I'm disappointed the macro performance doesn't seem to be any better than the Pre.
    On that point, I fully agree. Man, I was taking some incredible close-ups with the Evo's shooter. In comparison, the Pre2's camera seems downright archaic.

BUT in medium light, it's really not a bad point-and-shoot. I actually kind of like the Brookstone bag shot I took. The Pre2's camera seems to like bringing out detail in texture (see the couch).
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Isn't it just the original Pre's camera with MP count increased?
    ^That's what it looks like, and that's what the results seem to show, but until someone does a legitimate teardown we won't know for sure.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Your not. Always wondered why phone lenses arent All flush..
    To prevent lens scratching is what i'd assume.

Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    ^That's what it looks like, and that's what the results seem to show, but until someone does a legitimate teardown we won't know for sure.
    In that case i hope time reveals the answer sooner rather than later. But if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
    Last edited by kanaka; 11/24/2010 at 10:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Christmas shopping for kids, and comparison shopping in general. A barcode reader that goes to web for prices could be... priceless lol.
    Thanks for the photos. When/if you get a chance I would love to see some outdoor shots.
    Last edited by Tiddlekins; 11/23/2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Taking VCI_Cell's advice below :)
    Can we get back to talking about the camera before this devolves into another barcode vs non-barcode thread?
    If the phone can't read a bar code.... how's it going to make a cup of coffee???
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    If the phone can't read a bar code.... how's it going to make a cup of coffee???
    Point well taken

We do know this about the camera differences:

The Pre-/+ has:
    f/2.4 and 3mm focal length.
    That means it has a 1.25mm diameter lens.

The Pre2 has:
    f/2.4 and 3.2mm focal length.
    That means the Pre2 has a 1.33mm diameter lens.

Thus, the Pre2 has a slightly larger lens diameter. Lens diameter=lens focal length divided by the f/stop.
    We also know HP/Palm recommends:

"To ensure good focus, make sure the subject is at least 18 inches (.5 meter) away from the camera."

Palm Support : Palm Pre Telcel - Troubleshooting Camera
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I'm disappointed that the only real change to the camera was number of megapixels. :/
    Still fixed-focus, appears to have the same sensor and lens.

*sigh*
    Even with a larger sensor,it is difficult to see a difference in photo quality between the Pre2 and Pre Plus. See the samples posted here:

Palm Pre 2 Hands-On!

Hopefully,the next H/Palm phone will be equipped with a better camera;one with auto-focus, optical zoom, macro capable,etc.
    I wish the.barcode thing would end too, not because it's debatable, but because I've SEEN it work on non autofocus cameras through a live scanning process which requires low level API's. My iPod touch for example has a tiny .7 mp camera and I read barcodes all the time through the live scanner. I like that better anyway. So bar-scanners are possible with the api's and most apps I've seen with bar-scanners on the other os's are live scanners anyway.
    Has the video quality dramatically improved or not worth the jump?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Thanks for the photos. When/if you get a chance I would love to see some outdoor shots.
    There are several reviews of the palm pre 2 with outdoor shots (also on precentral).
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345