Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    The times I have seen iPhone guys take shots of barcodes, the function is not a "picture". The camera is not in single frame mode but more like a video camera as the software resolves what it sees into an image. jbg7474 is right, a dedicated auto focus mechanism isn't required here, just access to the camera API and some software trickery.
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    The times I have seen iPhone guys take shots of barcodes, the function is not a "picture". The camera is not in single frame mode but more like a video camera as the software resolves what it sees into an image. jbg7474 is right, a dedicated auto focus mechanism isn't required here, just access to the camera API and some software trickery.
    Android works the same. Its a video camera, but its actively focusing the camera to try to read the bar code. Thats why i don't think it can be done as well on a fixed focus camera.
    works fine on ipod touch
    If Palm just upped the megapixel count then I don't think the picture quality will be substantially improved. Improved, yes, but not by much?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    yeah but it has a much bigger depth of field.
    Since you argued with me about this in the other thread... do you have proof of this? Er, I mean facts.

Check the tech specs for the original Pre -- it says the exact same thing:

Digital camera
    3-megapixel camera with LED flash, extended depth of field, geotagging, and video capture
    Palm USA | Palm Pre Phone | Features, Details
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Ya
    Has anyone explained how the "extended depth of field" is achieved on the Pre?

Looking at the EXIF (picture data) shows the camera's lens is f/2.4 at 3mm focal length;the only variable seems to be the shutter speed. F/2.4 is not what I would pick if I were setting up a camera with manual controls to achieve the maximum depth of field. I would pick a smaller aperture opening,such as f/5.6 or f/8.0.

Since changing the f/stop on the Pre is not an option, and it has a fixed focus,the likely answer to the Pre's "extended depth of field" is explained in the following article under "Hyperfocal Distance." Greater depth of field can be achieved by fixing the Pre's focal point to the hyperfocal distance, instead of fixing the focus at infinity.

Depth of Field

Do you think this is how the Pre achieves the "extended depth of field" it claims?
    Last edited by BobKy; 11/24/2010 at 08:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    Has anyone explained how the "extended depth of field" is achieved on the Pre?

Looking at the EXIF (picture data) shows the camera's lens is f/2.4 at 3mm focal length;the only variable seems to be the shutter speed. F/2.4 is not what I would pick if I were setting up camera with manual controls to achieve the maximum depth of field. I would pick a smaller aperture opening,such as f/5.6 or f/8.0.

Since changing the f/stop on the Pre is not an option, and it has a fixed focus,the likely answer to the Pre's "extended depth of field" is explained in the following article under "Hyperfocal Distance." Greater depth of field can be achieved by fixing the Pre's focal point to the hyperfocal distance, instead of fixing the focus at infinity.

Depth of Field

Do you think this is how the Pre achieves the "extended depth of field" it claims?
    Yes, you are correct. As an amateur photog, I agree that this is what's happening. This about this, F5.6 which is the usual standard for FF lenses is chosen to give you the "jack of all trades" in terms of being able to take pics in the most scenarios. However at such a small opening, low light pictures would be impossible and require super long shutter speeds. At F2.4 the Pre's aperture is fast enough to be able to get decent (albeit grainy) shots a 1/10 provided the Pre is held perfectly still (and the subject is not moving)

On the other end of the spectrum, F2.4 being so open would cause extreme overexposure so the shutter speed is increased dramatically which is one reason why the pre can take shots as fast as you can activate the shutter in bright light. With the API's for the camera in 2.0, some crafty devs will bring some very ingenious apps that can pull off some amazing "trickery" ala the iPhone.
    Thanks cobrakon for the photography explanation.

I'm not familiar with the iPhone's photography,so what is the trickery it does ?
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    Thanks cobrakon for the photography explanation.

I'm not familiar with the iPhone's photography,so what is the trickery it does ?
    Filters and effects and such.

For instance.....my friend took this with her Evo using a camera app:
    Hi Brian,

That is a nice picture,but what exactly are the effects?
    It doesn't have auto focus or at least that's what I heard. Palm's goal was to make the camera app as fast as possible.
    though as stated:

Even when megapixels mattered, there was little visible difference between cameras with seemingly different ratings. For instance, a 3 MP camera pretty much looks the same as a 6 MP camera, even when blown up to 12 x 18" (30x50cm)! I know because I've done this. Have you? NY Times tech writer David Pogue did this here and here and saw the same thing — nothing!

per

The Megapixel Myth

they state its not a big difference at all.
    I am currently waiting for my unlocked Pre 2 to arrive and I was wondering if anyone had some full-size photos that they can post so that I can check out the camera quality? I haven't been able to find any in my searching.

Thanks!
    you could take fotos of a usuak printed letter, so that we could see the quality of a macro like shoot.
    look here for more on the Pre2 camera:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t=pre+2+camera
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    look here for more on the Pre2 camera:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t=pre+2+camera
    I saw this thread, but didn't see any actual samples inside. The last post in the thread also happened before the unlocked Pre 2 devices started shipping.
    Okay - just got my Pre2 this afternoon and it's doing it's first charge. I don't want to interrupt the first charge so I sent these photos wirelessly. They're all indoors under medium lighting.

Again, these have been emailed from the Pre over WiFi, downloaded to a computer as a ZIP file, then re-uploaded to Photobucket. These are not raw images taken off the Pre via data cable; they've been through the internets and accordingly compressed/otherwise messed with! I'll follow with some raw shots when I can.

Shot down a hallway:

From about 2 inches away (no amount of playing around with distance could get the bar code to focus):

Kind of a messy work/play space:

Did some shopping earlier:
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Do this.. If you have a palm pre/plus phone snap a pic from it, and that's exactly how the pre 2 pics look like. Its just as awesome as the pre/plus, but a little bit more refine.
    Bad comparison, Rush. That's like saying if you want to know how a Honda Civic drives, to go drive a BMW 700 series. They drive the same "only a bit more refine". Not quite..

The Pre 2 has a 5 megapixel camera which in comparison to the Pre (minus and plus) offers a much better pic quality all around (not just more refined).
    Can somebody post a sharp photo of a bar-code. I'd be interested to see how far you have to be away.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast