Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    There certain times where my VZW Pre can't send image SMS because the file is too large. Now that the camera will be 5MP, won't the problem happen more often than not?
    well how do the latest Droids deal with this issue... because 5 MP is been out on VZW for a few months already... so i guess the answer is already out there
    I'm not saying that more MP doesn't give you more pixels for more details - of course it does (assuming quality optics and chip).

I'm saying that for normal sized photo printouts it doesn't matter as you won't be able to notice the difference under normal circumstances.
    Using a magnifying glass is cheating. ;-)

My point is that increasing resolution is a matter of diminishing returns and at some point (less than 4 MP for normal photos) you don't really get anything extra that matters in practice. If you won't notice without actively looking for an artifact - what's the point?

Sure - if you want to printout to a poster extra MP help. If you want to manipulate the photo in Photoshop it can also help.

But for normal point and click pics - I don't see what 5 MP gets you that 2-4 MP didn't already provide.

BTW - the 5MP don't bother me - unless it slows down the otherwise very quick picture rate of the Pre. It's the 8-12 range that I consider insane.

And for non-snapshot photos even the best phone cameras are crap. Then you want optical zoom and other features of real cameras that need a bit of space and specialized hardware.

Give me a choice between a 3 MP camera with decent optics that allows me to take pictures quickly (and fast interval to click again) and a 5 MP camera that takes a bit longer before I can click again - and the 3 MP is a clear winer IMHO. The more MP, the longer it takes to process and store.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I would love to see someone do an optical analysis of the Pre camera. It would be interesting to know where the diffraction limit is.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Apparently the camera is not capable of autofocus. That sux BIG time.
    yeah but it has a much bigger depth of field.

Basically depth of field determines how much is in focus at a time.

The bigger depth of field, the more that close objects and far away objects are always in focus.

So its sorta almost better than autofocus if its a really huge field.

So it might be a better solution
    couldn't autofocus/image stabilizer be written in as code of some type ...maybe 3rd party app?
    We definitely need some basic image editing capabilities on the device, but in the meantime the solution is to display the image full-screen, do a screen capture and send that image.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Anyone know if this camera will actually be able to read barcodes??
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    couldn't autofocus/image stabilizer be written in as code of some type ...maybe 3rd party app?
    I'm not sure why you put a slash between those two features, because they are not related to each other. But to answer your question, auto focus requires auto focus *hardware*. It is not possible to make an app to do that. And it is also [currently] impossible to make a 3rd party app that does image stabilization.

Hopefully we'll find a Pre 2 Plus with those things built in.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Anyone know if this camera will actually be able to read barcodes??
    Only if it can auto focus ... or have a fixed focus setting that is so close to the lens that typical pictures (portrait, group shots, landscape, i.e. beyond 6 feet) won't be in focus.
    arent mms messages just compressed to a certain size anyhow?
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    well how do the latest Droids deal with this issue... because 5 MP is been out on VZW for a few months already... so i guess the answer is already out there
    Try a few years already...the WinMo based Omnia had a 5mp shooter like 2 years ago
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    ^ I see I'm not the only one.
    Your not. Always wondered why phone lenses arent All flush..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Only if it can auto focus ... or have a fixed focus setting that is so close to the lens that typical pictures (portrait, group shots, landscape, i.e. beyond 6 feet) won't be in focus.
    Not necissarily true.. My ipod touch has no auto focus and it reads barcodes perfectly fine through the streaming scanner apps. I believe thats better anyway. Problem is our phone doesnt support that yet. If its included in the new update as an api then even the origonal pre should be able to read barcodes just fine through a streaming scanner.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    As mentioned above, I remember reading somewhere that the Pre's camera will be able to scan barcodes via the camera API despite the lack of auto-focus.

I don't know if this is valid, or how if so, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Most important is for it to have autofocus so you can use apps that read barcodes and other ocr stuff. Nearly all smartphones today come with autofocus, even the budget ones. If the Pre2 doesn't have autofocus, then it really is a hunk of junk that should be spit on.
    Maybe, maybe not.. It was said to be 5mb, hence, making the pic quality looking a lot better than the 2mb on the current pres.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I'm going to put this to rest. Seriously guys - There is NO FOCUS available on this camera! There is no ZOOM. This is not a point-and-shoot, it's not a DSLR or M4/3. It's a discrete surface-mount component on a circuit board.

Extended depth of field is a correction method using the lens geometry so manufacturers (read: suppliers of these SMT components) don't have to incorporate the complex focus hardware and motors. It's cheaper for HP and cheaper for us. Unfortunately eDOF compromises any macro-like capabilities so yes, reading a barcode 1" from the packaging will be difficult.

On another note, does anyone have a part#, detailed spec sheet or want to take a stab at a phone that has a similar camera? I want to know what these pics might look like. Of course the software plays a big part in the quality of an image, too, but any lead is better than no lead at all!

[edit: there is no hardware zoom. Anyone looking for software zoom?]
    Last edited by XGC75; 10/23/2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: see post
    Quote Originally Posted by relic419 View Post
    Try a few years already...the WinMo based Omnia had a 5mp shooter like 2 years ago
    Point well taken .. So again this shouldn't be a problem

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    I'm not sure why you put a slash between those two features, because they are not related to each other. But to answer your question, auto focus requires auto focus *hardware*. It is not possible to make an app to do that. And it is also [currently] impossible to make a 3rd party app that does image stabilization.

Hopefully we'll find a Pre 2 Plus with those things built in.
    This is only partly true. Auto focus, at least the optical variety, is not possible without the optical hardware to do it. However, it is (at least in theory) possible to remove some blur using multiple frames, especially if there is a little bit of motion between them. An app that would have this capability would need some very low-level control over the camera.

Furthermore, image stabilization is totally possible via software, but this again requires multiple frames, and probably similar low-level control over the camera.

So if this new camera api provides really good control over the camera, there are some really interesting image processing tricks that could be played. I'd like to see HDR images too.

All of these require some fairly substantial number crunching, so access to the GPU will be important too.

Edit: By the way, low-level access should also enable a bar-code scanner that could operate in situations where individual frames don't have good focus.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast