Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sprint is touting a lot on the critical acclaim of the EVO and Epic 4G, I imagine they want to stay on this high with releases. They will likely get whatever is a newer form factor, rather than a Pre 2.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums Beta
    Hanging on for dear life to WebOS, hopefully A speedy device that lets you control data comes unlocked (Pre2 still needs data plan) or Sprint lets me upgrade to a tenative Pre3 w/o lobbing that $10 on...
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I know I have posted this before,but here goes again. Verizon rumor says november,,sprint rumor is worded near end of year,,can someone tell me what the differnce is? (retorical).
    prob the same, but rumors did say that a Verizon launch would be before a sprint one this year. To me I think that will hold true, so I expect if Sprint does get this version or the thought of the HD version it will be late nov early dec thats my guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by na.cuig.taidhs View Post
    Sprint is touting a lot on the critical acclaim of the EVO and Epic 4G, I imagine they want to stay on this high with releases. They will likely get whatever is a newer form factor, rather than a Pre 2.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums Beta
    think about it though at this point HP has the captial to release phones at a rate that google is, so putting a phone out on all the carriers with just a spec bump, but intending to showcase what they have done with Webos with 2.0 why wouldnt they. They would then release new HP branded webos devices, after getting everyone excited again about webos next year with more form factors and a tablet to go with it. To me sprint AT&T and Verizon dont really care if its 4G or not, Webos is somewhat still a player, and if they can have a device for the holiday season (especially if Verizon will carrier it their competitor) to help with sales, I dont think they would turn it down and say wait until next year when you have a different form factor, let my compeitiors have it for this holiday season.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Im fairly certain the customer service folks at palm are not privy to that info either.
    You may very well be right....just thought I would pass the word...I take all rumors etc with a grain of salt...Sprint reps don't even get a grain of salt....Palm rep atleast gave a little bit of hope...he told me that he could not give all details...ordinarily I don't add to any of the "rumor" threads...my Pre is almost down now and I am out of warranty which may lead me to jump ship as my upgrade is here...I am just hoping that it lasts till then...this is my 6th Pre...please Palm...please...if I do leave I will be back...there is nothing like WebOS!...
    Last edited by jbg7474; 10/19/2010 at 07:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I know I have posted this before,but here goes again. Verizon rumor says november,,sprint rumor is worded near end of year,,can someone tell me what the differnce is? (retorical).
    ill bet sprint gets it's before x-mas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    just so you know... Anyone answering the phone at Palm over the weekend is NOT in a position to know or say what new products are coming. They were probably talkin.g about webOS 2.0

and they were probably in india. The pre isn't even sold in india.
    You could/probably are right on the rumour...the number called however was in Sunnyvale...I also asked where the call was being taken from as I didn't know the area code of the number called as it was given to me...the number was (408) 617-7000 for the record...call it yourself and see if you pick up an Indian accent or a Cali-transient accent...lol
    @ferriskeanu:

they just forward the calls to their call center. They wouldn't exoect a US customer to call an international number.

I don't know for sure that the calls aren't handles in california - they probably are.

but, it was in india last time I alled - I asked. And when you use the on-line chat, they go to india.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 10/17/2010 at 08:21 PM.
    My simple thought:

Sprint has no interest in their happy Pre customers going to Verizon - so they want it - probably with 4G. Sure its not the iphone or a huge amount of customers BUT no company just lets a group of customers go for no good reason.

Plus Verizon has more market clout than Sprint, so all things equal HP chooses Verizon to go first - probably for that reason and production reasons - more of a pain to do 4G, especially for smaller volume.

Even more so if it gets webOS into peoples conscious pre holidays!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I find it weird that people keep saying that Google is pumping out Android phones left and right, when in actuality is HTC, Motorola, and Samsung that are pushing out phones with their own variations of Android OS on them. You all know Google doesn't actually make any phones right? (exception: Nexus one which is out of production)
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    My theory is that the Pre 2 WAS set to go to Sprint, but once HP took the helm their business sense kicked in and they wanted the phone on VZ due to the larger consumer base. We'll see!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    My simple thought:

Sprint has no interest in their happy Pre customers going to Verizon - so they want it - probably with 4G. Sure its not the iphone or a huge amount of customers BUT no company just lets a group of customers go for no good reason.

Plus Verizon has more market clout than Sprint, so all things equal HP chooses Verizon to go first - probably for that reason and production reasons - more of a pain to do 4G, especially for smaller volume.

Even more so if it gets webOS into peoples conscious pre holidays!

Couple of comments to this:

1) Sprint has no issue releasing non-4g capable phones. [They just released two android phones last week that aren't 4g capable] Thus, 4g isn't a requirement to release a new phone for Sprint.

2) Verizon is actually, contrary to what people seem to know, going to be launching 4g this winter. So if your theory of new phone's being required 4g capable were true, it would certainly apply to Verizon too.

3) Finally, and most importantly, while you're right...no company is wanting to "give away" customers to another... we have to be realistic here...how many "happy Pre customers" truly exist anymore?

The Pre was a failure. Not trying to be mean here but it was. Between battery life that is comparable to a 90s laptop and [even more significant] the turnover rate of them...it was not a successful debut for Webos.

That all being said... it's probably not even in the best interest of Sprint to rush for this "meh" update.

They probably would rather another company be the guinea pigs this time..

They put a lot into the Pre. It was their signature device for several months and the return was more dissatisfied customers.
    They'd be smart to keep their distance until HPalm proves otherwise.

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    I really hope Sprint gets the Pre 2, especially after being passed over on the Pre Plus, but a likely reason why they will not just occurred to me: because it is not a 4G phone. Sprint is really pushing 4G as the future and it wouldn't surprise me if they have set a policy of not releasing any new smartphones that are not 4G. They did this in the past when they went from 1x to EVDO, they killed some nice phones that were in the pipeline because they weren't 3G. Verizon is still coming out with new 3G smartphones, so they wouldn't have this issue.

I certainly hope I'm wrong.
    Unless you know more than anyone else who does not work for HP or Palm how do you know (or how can you speculate) it will not be 4G? The only information leaked was based on a GSM version and if thats what you are looking at it will not be on Verizon either...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    ive decided to get an evo in a few weeks on my upgrade. when we get our taxes back in febuary/march we are leaving sprint and going to verizon. hopefully the pre2 or a new webos device will be out by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    when we get our taxes back in febuary/march we are leaving sprint and going to verizon.
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Why?
    long bad history with sprint and there customer service. also a ton of defective phones.
    long bad history with sprint and there customer service. also a ton of defective phones.
    Well I don't think Verizon is much better off honestly.

Interesting that second reason you named. Something I've been trying to get through peoples heads on here.
    Why would Sprint risk releasing another webos device first again?
    people you have to think too about this notion of Sprint or any company not wanting a device because it didnt do so well the first time it came out. if that was the case then Android would be dead, because last time I checked the G1 went double wood too. What Sprint or any other carrier would worry about is an exclusive deal, which I doubt even HP is considering, and they dont have to because they can produce enough units for every carrier in the US. Also besides Android, and BB at this point thats selling on Sprint nothing else really is, and they still carry downgraded Android devices, old BB, WM6 phones etc. So I dont think they'd turn away Webos since it has potential, a following (even the small one it has) and just another OS it can carry that its competitor may have in the future that will hender sales, just because they wont carry it. Its still a business, and in the phone biz its best to carry everything, so that customers can come in and have options. Im sure sprint is def on this, sence they dont have a Iphone like AT&T or a subscriber base like Verizon. Remember this is their first Q they made money, and Im sure they want to continue doin so. So I say all this talk about sprint wont carry it because the hardware is the same, or was horriable, or because it not 4G etc nonsense, I say your wrong. I really don't think Sprint will think that far into it, to me looking at Sprints history if its a phone, and its new, and will bring me in some more customer we'll take it. Its the same thing AT&T did with the plus version, because if thats the case why would AT&T carry those phones, they dont need the fan base, or the subscribers they have both with jsut the Iphone 14 million sold use your heads people. For the record Im on AT&T, and have sprint through my job so I have no favortism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Well I don't think Verizon is much better off honestly.

Interesting that second reason you named. Something I've been trying to get through peoples heads on here.
    Why would Sprint risk releasing another webos device first again?
    verizon has better service and i hear they treat their customers a bit better. the prices may be higher but i cannot deal with sprint anymore. if we go to verizon ill get a droid.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    people you have to think too about this notion of Sprint or any company not wanting a device because it didnt do so well the first time it came out. if that was the case then Android would be dead, because last time I checked the G1 went double wood too. What Sprint or any other carrier would worry about is an exclusive deal, which I doubt even HP is considering, and they dont have to because they can produce enough units for every carrier in the US. Also besides Android, and BB at this point thats selling on Sprint nothing else really is, and they still carry downgraded Android devices, old BB, WM6 phones etc. So I dont think they'd turn away Webos since it has potential, a following (even the small one it has) and just another OS it can carry that its competitor may have in the future that will hender sales, just because they wont carry it. Its still a business, and in the phone biz its best to carry everything, so that customers can come in and have options. Im sure sprint is def on this, sence they dont have a Iphone like AT&T or a subscriber base like Verizon. Remember this is their first Q they made money, and Im sure they want to continue doin so. So I say all this talk about sprint wont carry it because the hardware is the same, or was horriable, or because it not 4G etc nonsense, I say your wrong. I really don't think Sprint will think that far into it, to me looking at Sprints history if its a phone, and its new, and will bring me in some more customer we'll take it. Its the same thing AT&T did with the plus version, because if thats the case why would AT&T carry those phones, they dont need the fan base, or the subscribers they have both with jsut the Iphone 14 million sold use your heads people. For the record Im on AT&T, and have sprint through my job so I have no favortism.
    huh???

http://androidcommunity.com/t-mobile-g1-fifth-best-selling-smartphone-in-us-20090504/

Not only that but the g1 didn't have even close to any of the problems the pre did.
    verizon has better service and i hear they treat their customers a bit better. the prices may be higher but i cannot deal with sprint anymore. if we go to verizon ill get a droid.
    Especially when they charge people for data usage that don't even use data and have to be sued to return that money
    Sounds like good customer treatment to me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast