Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just have a question for everyone,

are you upset about the specs of the Pre2? Or just that it is a spec bump and the same form factor without a sexy new look.

So, my question is, if they released a Palm Pre 2+ over in North America, instead of a Palm Pre 2 with specs like these

-1ghz processor
    -1gb of ram
    -8MP camera (with autofocus)
    -64 gb storage
    -4g radio
    -n wifi radio

Would you be more enticed to get it? Or is your main complain that formfactor?
    yep. I'm satisfied with my Pre+ until I hit my upgrade date.

and the free MHS + unlimited data will keep me from moving unless the Pre2 has them both (which I doubt).

until they have a 3.5 - 3.7 inch screen, I'm happy with my plastic pebbel, as long as I can overclock it and run webOS 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    yep. I'm satisfied with my Pre+ until I hit my upgrade date.

and the free MHS + unlimited data will keep me from moving unless the Pre2 has them both (which I doubt).

until they have a 3.5 - 3.7 inch screen, I'm happy with my plastic pebbel, as long as I can overclock it and run webOS 2.0

something i would just like to point out is the fact that the Pre2 photos that have been leaked, along with the 1ghz chipset and 512ram is the only thing leaked, for all we kno the phone could b in fact a 3.5-.8 device, because u cant tell size proportionally at ALL from the photo(even though it looks, and can fairly assume its the same size, just a refresh). so until the OFFICIAL specs sheet is released we can still b excited for this, since its the first thing to come out of HPalm in how long? just my 2cents
    you are correct, althoufh I'm betting it is the same. Among other things, the battery appears to be the same. I woukdnt be surprised on they bump the screen resolution, but for my bad eyes, it will probably make it less readable. If it weren't for my crappy eye sight, the pre would be the right size.

that, amd if I'd spring for new glasses?

actually, I just want to increase the font size in the browser and then the current scren would be fine.
    if the pre2 is 4g i may not get it then. that $10 "coolness fee" is a joke IMO. besides 4g kills your battery like no other. i do not think i would waste my upgrade on it, ill wait for a higher spec webos phone to come in 2011.

4g should be an option, not a requirement.
    I will bet it won't be 4g.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I would like to see the Pre 2+ with 32 gb storage or an SD card slot. The rest of the specs are good enough for me. I will probably get the Pre2 with it is available on Sprint. I don't want a slab and don't really need much more than mine currently does.

Battery is an issue for these so I vote for a 4G and a non 4G version because I don't want the 4G.
    Dan
    when they finally offer 4g, it will work like the evo where you turn 4g off just like you do with wi-fi
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    i would love a new device that has decent battery life so that i can use it all day.
    that would be enough for me.
    4G is a deterrent to me, not a feature. I won't buy a 4G phone because of the additional data costs, which are not worth it for me. 3G works fast enough for all my basic needs on a phone, I have home broadband for anything else.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I want a bigger phone/kb/screen with a higher rez. I want an phone similar to the epic with a 3.8"+ screen with either a landscape KB or just a slab.

The pre is just to small for me..
    no I want a bigger screen.
    and way better build quality.
    then I would be happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you are correct, althoufh I'm betting it is the same. Among other things, the battery appears to be the same. I woukdnt be surprised on they bump the screen resolution, but for my bad eyes, it will probably make it less readable. If it weren't for my crappy eye sight, the pre would be the right size.

that, amd if I'd spring for new glasses?

actually, I just want to increase the font size in the browser and then the current scren would be fine.
    A higher res display will makes things easier to read, not harder.

the leaked pre 2 with a high res display would be fine by me.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    for all we kno the phone could b in fact a 3.5-.8 device, because u cant tell size proportionally at ALL from the photo(even though it looks, and can fairly assume its the same size, just a refresh).
    Device length is the same size. Rod whitby or somebody pointed out that the back charging cover is the same size as the current Pre.
    I'm still thrilled with my 16 month old Pre. So if it ever dies I'll get a Pre2 in a heartbeat.
    other then a bigger screen and front camera what does most android and iphone have that the pre 2 won't have?

I personally like the size of the pre. The thing that really matters for me is apps. And that is the thing that palm has the most catching up on
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    4G is a deterrent to me, not a feature. I won't buy a 4G phone because of the additional data costs, which are not worth it for me. 3G works fast enough for all my basic needs on a phone, I have home broadband for anything else.
    Just the opposite for me. I don't pay for home broadband so 4g is a must on my next device. To have it in a form factor like the Pre as opposed to something (imo too) large like the Evo would be great. To put it plainly I won't get the Pre refresh unless it has 4g.
    The price for 4g is for unlimited data use. Please understand that the "unlimited data" on 3g is not unlimited it's like 2gb.

While I don't like the 4g charge since I don't even have it in my area.. it's probably more related to going to build the new network to support 4g so I'm not worried about it.

I still, even with the $10 extra charge, am cheaper for four phones [with the second best network coverage] than any of the other providers.
    So meh.

Eventually the charge will subside at least to some degree as 4g becomes more common and...at some point...replaces 3g just like 3g did for 2g.

Also, 4g uses about the same amount of battery as 3g honestly. It's just a matter of the amount of use.
    To Have a 4g radio it would most certainly have to be larger, So Im saying it WONT EVER get 4g (Not in current configuration)
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    are you upset about the specs of the Pre2?

Or just that it is a spec bump and the same form factor without a sexy new look.
    There is no agreement about what makes a sexy new look.

-1ghz processor
    That's what the Pre 2 gets anyway. And the more important feature is the better battery life - not the higher frequency. Even the old Pre is underutilized. As soon as webos makes use of the 3D acceleration there won't be any lag left. (and not that bad atm anyway)

-1gb of ram
    Nothing against more RAM - but it suffers from diminishing returns quickly and all that RAM costs money = higher cost = higher price.
    I doubt few if any people even used all of the RAM of the Pre Plus.
    Not too long ago 512 MB was what you had on a desktop computer - heck - many old XP computers still have that.
    1 GB will probably be totally useless. You'll pay for having a cool number on a
    spec sheet without making use of half of that.

-8MP camera (with autofocus)
    Counter-productive.
    More than 4 MP will make me getting annoyed. That's worse than too much RAM - this is actually having drawbacks. Do you often print large posters from your pictures?

-64 gb storage
    Again - more storage is great - but again it costs money and few people will actually fill that.
    My guess is that the Palm Pre 2 will have 32 GB and that will be plenty for what most people actually use.

-4g radio
    Again - overkill. Will cost you extra and unless you are in the right area it won't be available anyway.

-n wifi radio
    And yet again - cool sounding spec sheet feature without much practical use.

Would you be more enticed to get it? Or is your main complain that formfactor?
    I love the formfactor. I would welcome a slightly larger screen/phone (3.5ish) - but not too much. I love how the Pre lies in my hand.

I think that we'll see Palm Pre 2 as replacement for Pre/Pre+ this november and then a couple more phones with new form factors next year. So if you really want bigger screen just wait for such announcements at CES.

Personally - for the next half year I won't even upgrade to Palm Pre 2 - there's plenty of use in my Pre (overclocked).
    To me - the main feature of the Pre 2 will be better battery life. Currently it covers a day - but having enough power for a weekend or an intense day would be nice.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast