100 22.03%
  • Waiting On The Next Generation Palm Device

250 55.07%
  • Leaving WebOS

43 9.47%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Canada never received the Pre+ and i don't expect the Pre 2 will show up here either. I don't know if Palm is interested in the Canadian market anymore.
    If this phone comes to Canada i will get it, if it does not then my next phone will be something other than Palm.
    I definitely won't be jumping on board on the Pre 2 unless they somehow give a HUGE HUGE trade in credit for current Pre users. My feeling on the situation is this... I'll hold onto my Pre for a couple more months and hopefully WebOS 2.0 will be released for it VERY VERY soon. If by CES 2011 I don't hear of some ridiculously great reason to stay with H/Palm then I'm jumping ship to android. Pretty much the only reason I haven't left for android yet is WebOS is a significantly better OS (except the lack of apps) and the Evo 4G doesn't give me any battery life benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    and the Evo 4G doesn't give me any battery life benefits.
    I read this a lot on these forums and I'm really curious where it comes from.

I'm not going to say the the Evo's battery is perfect, because it's not and no phone really is.

However, my Evo has been unplugged for 2 hours and I've burned through a whole 3%. Of course I'm at home on Wifi and it's been a light usage 2 hours. I've only texted 13 times and received 5 emails but there's no freakin' way my Pre would only have burned through 3% even without any use.

If I go to bed and wake up forgetting to plug my phone in [and its been a heavy texting/email morning] I'll have lost 15% to 20% of my battery.
    Now, on 3g with constant usage you get 4 - 6 hours.
    But that can be said for most smartphones. I would say that's probably the best you'll get from any modern day smartphone under those conditions.
    But even on 3g with just "normal persons usage" I can get 8 - 12 hours no problem.
    I cannot say any of those things for the Pre.

A slow day I went through 3 batterys on the Pre.
    An extremely active day I go through 2 on the Evo.

[a "day" is 8 - 12 hours]
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 10/18/2010 at 12:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I'm gonna wait and see what else is coming out. Really easy for me since I'll still be depoyed for the next 5 months. Really hoping for something great to treat my self to when I return
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I read this a lot on these forums and I'm really curious where it comes from.

I'm not going to say the the Evo's battery is perfect, because it's not and no phone really is.

However, my Evo has been unplugged for 2 hours and I've burned through a whole 3%. Of course I'm at home on Wifi and it's been a light usage 2 hours. I've only texted 13 times and received 5 emails but there's no freakin' way my Pre would only have burned through 3% even without any use.

If I go to bed and wake up forgetting to plug my phone in [and its been a heavy texting/email morning] I'll have lost 15% to 20% of my battery.
    Now, on 3g with constant usage you get 4 - 6 hours.
    But that can be said for most smartphones. I would say that's probably the best you'll get from any modern day smartphone under those conditions.
    But even on 3g with just "normal persons usage" I can get 8 - 12 hours no problem.
    I cannot say any of those things for the Pre.

A slow day I went through 3 batterys on the Pre.
    An extremely active day I go through 2 on the Evo.

[a "day" is 8 - 12 hours]
    I'm not gonna argue with you that the battery life on the Evo is better than the Pre cause honestly, I have no idea. I really can't imagine the battery life being worse than Pre, so I'll assume you're right. I do however have friends with the Evo and they complain quite a bit about the battery life. Hopefully something will come out by CES that solves this very huge issue. I don't care if its an android phone or webos.
    I absolutely have to have the large screen and on-screen keyboard, so I'm waiting to see if Mansion is the tablet or a slab phone. My son got my Pre when I got my Evo (much better battery life, btw) and is interested in the Pre 2. I long to return to webOS, but will remain on Android until Palm releases a slab phone.
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    At this point, I am planning to wait until CES 2011 to find out if something more compelling than the Pre 2 is on its way. Whatever announcements are made by HPalm will determine what phone I get. (Of course, if the Pre 2 or other devices don't come to Sprint, then I guess I'll have to go Android.)
    I'm not gonna argue with you that the battery life on the Evo is better than the Pre cause honestly, I have no idea. I really can't imagine the battery life being worse than Pre, so I'll assume you're right. I do however have friends with the Evo and they complain quite a bit about the battery life. Hopefully something will come out by CES that solves this very huge issue. I don't care if its an android phone or webos.
    The battery isn't the greatest but I don't think anyone can name a smartphone that has "great" battery life.
    Especially with a good custom rom and kernel, it is a least tied with the other smartphones in relation to its battery.

The problem is that battery technology hasn't improved much in the last 50 years and...if what some physicists say is true...it really can't get much better.

So use by the technology has to get better. That's really the only way to address the issue.
    3g/4g radios and the GPS radio [in all devices] use a significant amount of battery so it seems that those places are where they need to improve. But I doubt the lack of improvement is from lack of trying.

At any rate, the Evo destroys the Pre in battery life too. Just like every other stat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    The battery isn't the greatest but I don't think anyone can name a smartphone that has "great" battery life.
    Especially with a good custom rom and kernel, it is a least tied with the other smartphones in relation to its battery.

The problem is that battery technology hasn't improved much in the last 50 years and...if what some physicists say is true...it really can't get much better.

So use by the technology has to get better. That's really the only way to address the issue.
    3g/4g radios and the GPS radio [in all devices] use a significant amount of battery so it seems that those places are where they need to improve. But I doubt the lack of improvement is from lack of trying.

At any rate, the Evo destroys the Pre in battery life too. Just like every other stat.
    I was given the impression that the iphone 4 has significantly better battery life than other smartphones out there. I personally think both webos and android are far superior to iOS and most iphone users are sheep, but I do envy the battery life in latest gen iphones.
    I was given the impression that the iphone 4 has significantly better battery life than other smartphones out there. I personally think both webos and android are far superior to iOS and most iphone users are sheep, but I do envy the battery life in latest gen iphones.
    I don't know about that. I would be cautious to believe anything related to Apple without first hand experience.

Two of my friends were choosing between the Evo and the Iphone 4 and after a month of research and actually testing both at a store...they chose the Evo.

I've never heard anything about the Iphones battery life honestly. The only thing I can say is that my friend has a 3gs and his phone is dead all the time.

[I cannot attest to whether thats from lack of care or just bad battery cause I never asked]
    holdin on to my pre. I luv it!! Enuff with all the cryin . . . If you wanna leave . . . leave already ! ! !
    I don't blame them for choosing Evo over the iphone 4. I would too even if the battery life is worse. I was just pointing out that its possible to have better battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwonka75 View Post
    holdin on to my pre. I luv it!! Enuff with all the cryin . . . If you wanna leave . . . leave already ! ! !
    That's a pretty terrible attitude to take. You may be perfectly happy with your Pre, but if it wasn't for all us "complainers" Palm would still be trying to sell their Treo line. Some of us are trying our hardest to like Palm and give 'em the benefit of the doubt, but when we all "cry" ourselves away from Palm phones you'll be stuck holding your precious Pre with absolutely no apps being developed for it. Less users = less developers = less apps = less users... see the cycle? It's a cycle that will lead Palm right into the garbage even with the power of HP behind them. I speak from experience... I started to develop an app for WebOS then realized I was wasting my time. Why should I bother developing an app for a dwindling customer base?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    ROFL @ the Pre 2. Massive fail.

Seriously still 320x480??? *** Palm.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    holding on to my Pre until Sprint and HP announce the next gen
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    ROFL @ the Pre 2. Massive fail.

Seriously still 320x480??? *** Palm.
    Just give Palm more money to work with. LOL

We get webOS 2.0 in a generic press release along with a crap screen Pre 2 that failed the first time around. And Palm's biggest base of customers on Sprint going ***?
    I'm keeping my Pre Plus until they make an LTE or WiMax webOS phone.
    Well the "coming months" phrase makes it difficult to decide. If it comes to Verizon in the next several weeks, then I trade up. However, if not, I'll be forced to go Android.

Why in the world is this launching on a French carrier first???
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Ugg what a gigantic let down the Palm Pre 2 is.

I'm stuck with my Sprint contract till next June. If they wow me with a TRUE next gen device at CES then I'll be switching to it as I WANT to stay with WebOS because of how advanced its navigation is. However if the Palm Pre 2 is supposed to be their actual "next gen" device then come June I'm off to Android of iOS
    Looks like i'll be waiting til CES. *sigh*

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast