Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Hope is the key word.

Palm has touted performance and battery life "optimization" in most updates thus far to little avail. Read the release notes.
    Honestly at this point hope is what most hardcore webOS users have been clinging on to for the last 6 months. I don't mind waiting and hopeing just a little bit longer.
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I don't think the processor, RAM, or WebOS is what people are "down" about, but as I said in my previous post...that doesn't mean much with an unfinished, unoptimized OS anyway.

It's just not much of a leap. The Android platform went from the G1 to the Droid in one year. It went from the Droid to Droid 2 and Droid X in 6 months. Android went from 1.0 to 2.2, with word of 2.5/3.0 soon on the way in the same time period.

In that same period, we went from the Pre to the Pre Plus to Pre 2. You see the difference?
    it helps when your company is not broke and trying to split their little cash into developing BOTH hardware and software. Palm has a much harder time making a good product than HTC or Motorola or Google. Hopefully with HP's cash they will perform more like apple and get to a more consistent refresh rate with their hardware and software, but from the day webOS was introduced until the buyout, palm had been basically broke. People are crazy to expect them to have done any better than they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    it helps when your company is not broke and trying to split their little cash into developing BOTH hardware and software. Palm has a much harder time making a good product than HTC or Motorola or Google. Hopefully with HP's cash they will perform more like apple and get to a more consistent refresh rate with their hardware and software, but from the day webOS was introduced until the buyout, palm had been basically broke. People are crazy to expect them to have done any better than they did.
    I agree for the most part except for the advertising and launch debacle. I think that the Plus model should have been what the pre minus was originally. I think that the launch timeframe should have also not been spread out so much. They should have gotten a 3 month exclusive on sprint then launched verizon, and then att shortly thereafter. If they had done that plus had their adverts be as good as the original pixi commercial instead of the borg queen then they may have been able to pull a profit from this. But this is all speculation so I guess we will never know for sure and just have to hope that HP takes care of the company we love so much
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jedicide View Post
    Heh, I have to wait until next summer before I can upgrade on Sprint, so no big rush. lol
    June 1st here but I'm rocking an overclocked sprint pre plus so I'm good for a while.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Quote Originally Posted by darkproteus66 View Post
    I see and understand the difference, but we are comparing palm a small hardware company trying to regain it's former glory with google a giant in the industry that probably has more people in it's marketing department for android than all of palm's employees combined.
    Google makes no hardware. They license their OS. And the manufacturer that did make that first Android evolutionary leap - Motorola with the Droid - was in a similar morass to Palm in terms of being a shrunken former mega hardware manufacturer that was one or two handsets away from oblivion.

And honestly the last 6 months of android have been more of the same from all of the phone manufacturers, they all have the same specs hardware wise.
    That's not true. The first 4.3-inch screens on Android only showed up on the market a couple of months ago. Same for the first Super AMOLED screens. Some have hardware keyboards. Some don't. They have differing amounts of RAM and storage.

I think that this phone matching the specs of the current crop of superphones and anything new that H/Palm announces at CES will be a good way to hit all the points of the market. If the pre 2 is going to be the new low end of the webOS market (as i hope it will be) then we have nothing to fear going forward.

However if this is what H/palm wants to push as the new webOS standard than they have already given up on the phone market as far as I am concerned
    I agree. People HOPE that the Palm Pre 2 will be the new low end under a "super" WebOS device, but there's nothing to indicate that as of yet. It certainly doesn't make sense to lead with a low end handset, but I've seen Palm make dumber moves before.
    Launch day adopter here...and the two-year contract does not run out on my family's three pre's until June...so I believe that our first upgrade opportunity will be in May sometime...so deciding anything before then is premature for us.

That said, I must say that I was hoping for something more revolutionary. They do seem to have addressed several issues and a faster processor is nice, but I am surprised that the same basic design is being offered. Personally, I wanted an option with a larger screen.

I suppose that we'll see when things become official, but it's a far more competitive space than it was when the original Pre came out...and getting more so every day...and WebOS isn't even on anyone's radar at the moment. Perhaps if HP gets a WebOS-based slate out, things will change. We'll see.

That said, my daughter counts the days until she can trade her Pre for an iPhone...so HP/Palm has lost that battle already. All her friends want the Jesus phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    it helps when your company is not broke and trying to split their little cash into developing BOTH hardware and software. Palm has a much harder time making a good product than HTC or Motorola or Google.

Hopefully with HP's cash they will perform more like apple and get to a more consistent refresh rate with their hardware and software, but from the day webOS was introduced until the buyout, palm had been basically broke. People are crazy to expect them to have done any better than they did.
    Palm had enough time and cash to develop the Pixi. They had enough time and cash to develop the PDK and Ares. And they started by releasing Pre hardware that was inadequate in RAM and build quality.

All bad decisions (IMHO). Nothing about their financial situation mandated that they be made.
    ive said my date before, and with recent facts surfacing its looking more and more possible, and even plausible... pre EOL'd on Oct 21st = official announcement on, and maybe around, the 21st by HPalm
    Google makes no hardware. They license their OS. And the manufacturer that did make that first Android evolutionary leap - Motorola with the Droid - was in a similar morass to Palm in terms of being a shrunken former mega hardware manufacturer that was one or two handsets away from oblivion.

That's not true. The first 4.3-inch screens on Android only showed up on the market a couple of months ago. Same for the first Super AMOLED screens. Some have hardware keyboards. Some don't. They have differing amounts of RAM and storage.

I agree. People HOPE that the Palm Pre 2 will be the new low end under a "super" WebOS device, but there's nothing to indicate that as of yet. It certainly doesn't make sense to lead with a low end handset, but I've seen Palm make dumber moves before.

All the motorolla phones from the droid till the droid x have been meh at best. The droid 2 isn't worth upgrading to if you have an original droid and their skin for android is a pain in ****.

Every HTC phone since the Nexus 1 has been using the same parts or lower end parts with the exception of the different screen tech. (The G2 is just using the next gen of the same snapdragon hardware so that doesn't really count as new anything)

As for the giant phones the evo is a nexus 1 with a larger screen and the droid x is actually pretty impressive but still hindered by motoblur and the efuse lock which is anti consumer to say the least.

In all the android phones have pretty much been the same since the nexus 1, 1ghz snapdragon or equivalent with 512mb ram max and rom storage size not really playing much into b/c having large dedicated storage vs an SD card is actually still an issue for android phones till 3.0 comes out.

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Just a quick note I am not an android hater. I don't think it's the OS for me but by no means do i think it's a bad OS. I'm actually trying to get my hands on a non phone android device to play around with app development on.
    Last edited by darkproteus66; 10/15/2010 at 10:24 AM.

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    reading above I agree with most of it, yes palm didnt have the money really to compete with android or apple, though they made alot of bad mistakes along the way. Palm could have plused the original verison, constructed the hardware alot better, and had the SDK available before launch for developers. They could have still had exclusive with Sprint, but should have done it only for a 3 month period then went straight to Verizon and AT&T before the holiday season. They should have never released the Pixi IMO, and focused on the Pre from the gate, and continue to press for development. They could have also licensed out the OS to maybe one manufacter ala HTC to make different version hardware wise to be released to the the same 3 companies. To me they could have competed, and really stayed independent, but flaws like these really hurt them. As for Webos 2.0 I personally think it will be alot more optimized then the previous OS verison, but only because they have had help from HP the last 6 months or so. THough as I stated before the device they should be releasing next should be a slab, to generate public interest again in Webos. Why release a design that was rejected already from your company, by the masses regardless if you add tephlon and a 4 inch screen to it, everyone will only remeber that little slider phone that couldnt.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    reading above I agree with most of it, yes palm didnt have the money really to compete with android or apple, though they made alot of bad mistakes along the way. Palm could have plused the original verison, constructed the hardware alot better, and had the SDK available before launch for developers. They could have still had exclusive with Sprint, but should have done it only for a 3 month period then went straight to Verizon and AT&T before the holiday season. They should have never released the Pixi IMO, and focused on the Pre from the gate, and continue to press for development. They could have also licensed out the OS to maybe one manufacter ala HTC to make different version hardware wise to be released to the the same 3 companies. To me they could have competed, and really stayed independent, but flaws like these really hurt them. As for Webos 2.0 I personally think it will be alot more optimized then the previous OS verison, but only because they have had help from HP the last 6 months or so. THough as I stated before the device they should be releasing next should be a slab, to generate public interest again in Webos. Why release a design that was rejected already from your company, by the masses regardless if you add tephlon and a 4 inch screen to it, everyone will only remeber that little slider phone that couldnt.

Simple explanation as to why they would keep the portrait slider, to differentiate. Every company with multiple handsets has a slab and a landscape slider. No one has a powerful top end portrait slider. It could be very popular in the buisness segments that are use to the blackberry and old school palm centro and treo keyboards. Whatever they do they need to make it so that the keyboard is not manditory like on the android sliders. I know several people who have android phones with slide out keyboards (epic, droid 1 users) who have never slid out the keyboard but still like that they have the option to use it if they want to.

Also don't forget that both the original droid and epic are very popular handsets despite the fact that they are keyboard phones.

Palm just needs to make sure that they have attractive devices in all the market segments. To me the slight redesigns in the pre 2 show a lot of influence from their design decisions on the pixi, which is a good thing. If going forward everything from palm is matte with flat screens but still keeping rounded corners on the device we could be seeing some very sexy devices that manage to stand out from the shiny square slates we are seeing so much of in the market right now. H/Palm has an opportunity to not fall by the wayside and if the design choices made in the pre 2 are any indication they are already starting to make strides from an industrial design standpoint.

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    My Pre died. They said it was water damage and I dont have insurance. I was like yea I dropped it in the pool a year ago. Anyways, im back using Blackberry. I tried a used Pixi I picked up for $50.00. The screen was too small, so I gave it to My daughter. All her friends think its the coolest phone ever and im like then why didnt you buy it instead of that Android crap? Anyways, I cant upgrade untill January, so hopefully the new HP phone will be out by then. Verizon can keep the Pre2. I dont realy want the same phone I already had. All these rumors are driving me crazy.
    Simple explanation as to why they would keep the portrait slider, to differentiate. Every company with multiple handsets has a slab and a landscape slider. No one has a powerful top end portrait slider. It could be very popular in the buisness segments that are use to the blackberry and old school palm centro and treo keyboards. Whatever they do they need to make it so that the keyboard is not manditory like on the android sliders. I know several people who have android phones with slide out keyboards (epic, droid 1 users) who have never slid out the keyboard but still like that they have the option to use it if they want to.

Also don't forget that both the original droid and epic are very popular handsets despite the fact that they are keyboard phones.

Palm just needs to make sure that they have attractive devices in all the market segments. To me the slight redesigns in the pre 2 show a lot of influence from their design decisions on the pixi, which is a good thing. If going forward everything from palm is matte with flat screens but still keeping rounded corners on the device we could be seeing some very sexy devices that manage to stand out from the shiny square slates we are seeing so much of in the market right now. H/Palm has an opportunity to not fall by the wayside and if the design choices made in the pre 2 are any indication they are already starting to make strides from an industrial design standpoint.

I understand what you say in maybe the reason why they keep the portiat slider, and I say def keep it. What im saying is at this point they need to make a splash when reentroducing webos into the market. Right now yes there are all types of designs for phones, but the one type that is getting the most love are slab type designs (EVO, Droid x, Samsung phones,iphone4). Ill give you the droid was a slider and was successful, but that was also coming off a successful launch of the HTC Hero months prior (which also hendered the pre). Of course if the exclusivity ended the time the hero came out, the pre would have been on Verizon for the holidays, and the droid would have not made as much noise as it did, and the pre would have been successful on Verizon. At this point if they want to adopt the portrait slider idea to reentroduce webos into the market, they're really going to have to come out with something better then what the pre 2 seems to offer. With the same design, same resolution maybe a slightly bigger glass screen, and upgraded internals (again no one knows the exact specs yet, and or if this verison of the phone will be introduced in the states) People will put this next to a EVO, or a epic and brush it off, especially with phones like the dell lightning with a 4 inch screen and better hard keys to compare it with.
    I understand what you say in maybe the reason why they keep the portiat slider, and I say def keep it. What im saying is at this point they need to make a splash when reentroducing webos into the market. Right now yes there are all types of designs for phones, but the one type that is getting the most love are slab type designs (EVO, Droid x, Samsung phones,iphone4). Ill give you the droid was a slider and was successful, but that was also coming off a successful launch of the HTC Hero months prior (which also hendered the pre). Of course if the exclusivity ended the time the hero came out, the pre would have been on Verizon for the holidays, and the droid would have not made as much noise as it did, and the pre would have been successful on Verizon. At this point if they want to adopt the portrait slider idea to reentroduce webos into the market, they're really going to have to come out with something better then what the pre 2 seems to offer. With the same design, same resolution maybe a slightly bigger glass screen, and upgraded internals (again no one knows the exact specs yet, and or if this verison of the phone will be introduced in the states) People will put this next to a EVO, or a epic and brush it off, especially with phones like the dell lightning with a 4 inch screen and better hard keys to compare it with.
    True, and I'm not at all saying they shouldn't have a slab. I just hope that they are being wise and are trying to hit all the market segments with a multitude of form factors.

If they can do that they may be able to be succesful despite the tidal wave of android phones.

unrelated note. is it just me or does it seem like there is less news (positive anyways) for this gen of the iphone?

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    True, and I'm not at all saying they shouldn't have a slab. I just hope that they are being wise and are trying to hit all the market segments with a multitude of form factors.

If they can do that they may be able to be succesful despite the tidal wave of android phones.

unrelated note. is it just me or does it seem like there is less news (positive anyways) for this gen of the iphone?
    I def agree, and hopefully with the captial HP has then intend on doing so. They did state that they have a couple of designs coming next year, so the hope for now sounds good. The iphone i think got hurt with that antanna issue, though they still sold millions of phones, it hurt them a bit. To me of course like they said on wall street them moving to Verizon is smart, because it will slow down Googles Android by pitting the competition directly onto that carrier. For the most part I think that most people will pick a Iphone on Verizon over a droid just because its.....a iphone. Smart move Apple.
    I def agree, and hopefully with the captial HP has then intend on doing so. They did state that they have a couple of designs coming next year, so the hope for now sounds good. The iphone i think got hurt with that antanna issue, though they still sold millions of phones, it hurt them a bit. To me of course like they said on wall street them moving to Verizon is smart, because it will slow down Googles Android by pitting the competition directly onto that carrier. For the most part I think that most people will pick a Iphone on Verizon over a droid just because its.....a iphone. Smart move Apple.
    I know a lot of people who are jumping ship from the ss iphone. Then again I also know a ton of people who keep buying them bc it's the only smartphone they have ever known

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    I know a lot of people who are jumping ship from the ss iphone. Then again I also know a ton of people who keep buying them bc it's the only smartphone they have ever known

yup thats because of the android onslaught, though Apple still estimated shipping 11 million iphone 4's in the Q.

AppleInsider | iPhone 4 and iPad shortages could temper upside to Apple's earnings
    Well I know a person who left att when his contract was up and went to sprint for the epic over getting the iphone 4

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    by end of year? Is that not when verizon is getting it? Is november not considered end of year also?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast