Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by postalUT View Post
    I have a theory that could legitimately justify why Palm/HP has decided to release a spec bumped Pre 2.

I think it's safe to assume that Palm has been testing WebOS 2.0 on the original Pre and Pre Plus. What if we assume that neither device meets the expectations of Palm in terms of performance on WebOS 2.0? Then the spec-bumped Pre 2 makes sense. Inevitably if Palm announces that there will be no WebOS 2.0 upgrade on the original Palm Pre, there will be riots on the streets. Palm's answer? Let's release a new phone that will satisfy original Pre owners who want 2.0 but are happy with the existing size and form factor and we'll price it reasonably at $99 so it's not much of a stretch for existing owners to upgrade. After all, how many of us have seen posts from other PC members who do not want a bump in screen size and are happy with the existing form factor? For those who want something more, we'll release a slab superphone with a larger screen, 4g, etc... around the $199 mark. In addition, let's release a phone in the same style as the Pixi, but with specs strong enough to run WebOS 2.0 (512 RAM, 800 MHz, etc...) but entry-level priced at $49.

If you think about it, it's a great way for Palm to compromise with its user base. They understand we love our phone but they also understand we'll be more peeved off if they give us an OS that runs poorly on our phones (a la iOS 4 on any 2nd gen iDevice). I think this would be a great way for Palm to handle the WebOS 2.0 transition.
    WebOS 2.0 will actually be lighter and require less system resources than the current WebOS.

Just because something is more advanced doesn't mean its bloatware.

I know, after using Microsoft Windows thats hard to believe, but WebOS is running off of linux and open-source technologies. Its actually possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Just because something is more advanced doesn't mean its bloatware.
    lmao
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    now that we have rumors of the Pre 2 on Verizon and British o2 as well as France networks, coming as soon as early November, this is what I think happened at Hp/Palm:

HP: Windows Phone 7 has HOW MANY devices coming out?? THIS MONTH?? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

HP: (calls up Palm) Yo, we need those new smartphones NOW

Ruby: Umm, they arent ready, they will be ready in like, February

HP: Dont you have SOMETHING? anything... we just spent 1.2 billion on WebOS and completely ticked off Microsoft for dropping them as a mobile partner, and now they are gonna completely wipe the floor clean with us and their new mobile OS.

Ruby: Well, we have that scrapped Palm Pre 2 we were gonna do before the merger but-

HP: Yeah, whatever, get it out there, NOW!

I honestly think that this is a dramatized version of whats going on right now and why we have this sorta ok but better Pre 2 coming out.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/15/2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: LANGUAGE
    I don't think this is what happened, but that is hillarious!
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    The current Pre/ Pre+ is inadequate even for any version webOS. That's why we are overclocking, turning off logging, and devising ever convoluted ways to stretch out our batteries. Palm would be stupid not to rectify this situation b/f bringing out OS ver 2.0
    webOS 1.0 is highly unoptimized and doesn't use the full power of 3430. Palm just wanted to get it out of the door.

The Droid, Nokia N900 and Samsung i8910 all use the same OMAP 3430 processor as the Pre.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    ^ Yes. I especially liked the "FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"
  7.    #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I honestly think that this is a dramatized version...
    Dramatized? I think you presented the sanitized version. The real discussions are probably a lot worse.
    <<Threads Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    For months we have all been waiting and hoping for any word on new palm devices and as soon as we start getting leaks of what is hopefully just the tip of the iceberg for upcoming webOS devices everybody starts flipping out.

No this is by no means a super device but spec for spec is a very nice upgrade over the original pre and pre+ and seems to stand well with current offerings from other companies.

Yes the screen is the same size and resolution, and the proc isn't a dual core but who cares.

The average consumer is going to go into the store and will see that it's 1ghz and see how (hopefully) snappy webOS 2.0 is and will be impressed.

I know people who still want a blackberry or Symbian phone because they like the design or don't want a slab or want a hardware keyboard. All three of which this phone has (small footprint as far as the design is concerned). This device could really sway people looking for a new feature phone or low end smart phone.

Embrace the fact that this phone is not for you. Be excited for what webOS 2.0 is going to bring us. Encourage people looking for a new phone to check it out, and most important of all look forward to CES to see what will be offered for the high end.
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The average consumer is going to go into the store and will see that it's 1ghz and see how (hopefully) snappy webOS 2.0 is and will be impressed.
    Isn't the average consumer going to think it's 'that phone' they already passed on? The fact that a phone is 1ghz is neither here nor there to the man in the street.
    I'm with you 100% on this, man. It seems like a lot of people are simply attracted to phones that sound like the tits on paper and really don't care what the experience is actually like.

I don't care what kind of form factor it is or how "totally bad-***" it's specs are - the Android operating system is what keeps me away from those devices. I've owned a Nexus One and I temporarily defected to an EVO 4G the day it came out, but I sold the Nexus and returned the EVO within 30 days because I realized that the user experience of Android, even with Sense on top, is just too unintuitive. Even though there really hadn't been anything like it before, when I use Android I feel as if I've "been there, done that." It doesn't wow me to any extent like it seems to do for everyone else.

WebOS, on the other hand, won my heart (and trust me, I'm very picky when it comes to technology) from the moment it was first announced and its evolving personality has kept me hooked since I got a Pre on launch day. I could care less about hardware issues, which I never experienced besides some limited Oreo-ing, because webOS just works so well and is capable of so much that I can't seem to permanently switch to any other platform.
    Fear of the unknown.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Palm has a huge uphill battle in marketing. Specs are not gona sell the average consumer good or bad. Advertising sells the average consumer and HP better get ready next year to promote webOS like Apple, RIM and Droid.

The people that visit this forum are not excited because they want top end hardware they can brag about and say how much better this is vs that. I primarily use my phone for business use and top end specs are not what I need in a phone and em very excited about pre/WebOS 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Isn't the average consumer going to think it's 'that phone' they already passed on? The fact that a phone is 1ghz is neither here nor there to the man in the street.
    Actually a lot of people have no idea what a pre is thanks to the failure that was the marketing campaign for the original pre and pre plus models. At least once a day I get people asking me what phone I'm using when I am playing a game or remoting into my computer at home.

Palm has no mindshare whatsoever so people don't even realize that the current pre is an option.

As far as the 1ghz the man on the street will see specs or when presented with specs from a sales person and take them at face value. I know a few android users who are going to pass on the G2 for the Vibrant simply because it's an 800mhz vs 1ghz proc even though they are about even performance wise.

Same as when I use to work as an HP rep and would see people looking for a gaming laptop and would choose a system with a 8600 with 1 gig of vram over a 8800 with 512 b/c they see that it has less memory.

The average consumer doesn't know how to process specs so they will either disregard the info all together or make uneducated assumptions.
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lancepr View Post
    Palm has a huge uphill battle in marketing. Specs are not gona sell the average consumer good or bad. Advertising sells the average consumer and HP better get ready next year to promote webOS like Apple, RIM and Droid.

The people that visit this forum are not excited because they want top end hardware they can brag about and say how much better this is vs that. I primarily use my phone for business use and top end specs are not what I need in a phone and em very excited about pre/WebOS 2.

I totally agree and hope that HP pulls out all the stops for marketing. they already do very well with their computer line, and having specs like this will probably get at least one person who thinks they know about hardware specs but really just blow smoke.

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Most people only go into a store to buy a phone when they're upgrade eligible or they're current phone has died. So I doubt anyone walking into a store will think that they already passed on this phone, and it's different enough from the sprint pre to notice it's an updated model. To me the biggest thing will be marketing and the screen, most people will get wowed by how sharp and colorful the screen on other devices look and when they look at the pre's it will be dull in comparison, though that going by it having the same screen, you never know it might have been updated as well.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    <<Threads Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    Most people only go into a store to buy a phone when they're upgrade eligible or they're current phone has died. So I doubt anyone walking into a store will think that they already passed on this phone, and it's different enough from the sprint pre to notice it's an updated model. To me the biggest thing will be marketing and the screen, most people will get wowed by how sharp and colorful the screen on other devices look and when they look at the pre's it will be dull in comparison, though that going by it having the same screen, you never know it might have been updated as well.
    I honestly don't have too much of an issue with the pre screen, but yeah I can see how compared to a super amoled, or IPS screen how someone may find the screen lacking

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkproteus66 View Post
    I honestly don't have too much of an issue with the pre screen, but yeah I can see how compared to a super amoled, or IPS screen how someone may find the screen lacking
    Which is not how its always been.

Palm usually had the better screen res way back when when comparing palm to wm. Then the iphone in 2007. Though the centro debuted shortly thereafter the iphone set new ground. But the Pre in 2009 topped the iphone and pretty much was one of the top screens (if not tops) of that time.

Apple passed it up with retina as did android makers with the 800 x 480 or so.

So it will be interesting to see what happens. I think some don't care... But its always been a big criteria for me which made the iphone 4 an easy buy for me. I was glad to see Apple focus on it and make that aspect better known which the competition will follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Which is not how its always been.

Palm usually had the better screen res way back when when comparing palm to wm. Then the iphone in 2007. Though the centro debuted shortly thereafter the iphone set new ground. But the Pre in 2009 topped the iphone and pretty much was one of the top screens (if not tops) of that time.

Apple passed it up with retina as did android makers with the 800 x 480 or so.

So it will be interesting to see what happens. I think some don't care... But its always been a big criteria for me which made the iphone 4 an easy buy for me. I was glad to see Apple focus on it and make that aspect better known which the competition will follow.
    I agree, the his res display makes using the phone so much pleasurable. The pre 2 is almost exactly what I wanted, only thing missing is a buggers res display and bigger battery. Everything else is right on, and I very much want to see how webos 2.0 would run on this thing, my pre plus is pretty fast already, hardly any lag.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast