Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    This is wrong. Actually, ANY app you get from preware and the catalog can build in the ability to be part of universal search (now called Just Type). And if you watch the review by precentral, they show this working.
    However all the rest of your already pre-built in apps that you regularly use are NOT able to be part of it.

I read the review, I saw that THIRD PARTY APPS could potentially be added in. I saw nothing about the stock Pre apps being added
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    1. The Pre 2 comes with 16GB of storage.
    2. How do you mean? Precentral has tons of screenshots of Just Type searching a multitude of things.
    Yep, got mixed up with the Storage space.

The only default apps it searches from the precentral review is contacts. Doesn't search memo, word docs, music, tasks, etc.
    1 Ghz is to slow for WebOs. I need 1.5 at least, (with overclocking to 2Ghz). Then we are talking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    However all the rest of your already pre-built in apps that you regularly use are NOT able to be part of it.

I read the review, I saw that THIRD PARTY APPS could potentially be added in. I saw nothing about the stock Pre apps being added
    Yeah, you're right. They gave that ability to 3rd party devs, but their devs will never have access to it... :-/

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    It needs a bigger screen!
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    These 2 are definitely the biggest flaws - No 720p recording and the 16.9 mm thickness of the phone...

Had it been 720p + less than 14mm thick + >3.3" screen (even if at same resolution), it would have been a massive upgrade!
    Just a thought - everyone seems to be taking pains to say "pre production model - not for review" - "showcase for webos2.0" ...

The screen/case being flattened AND beveled lip - could definitely support 3.3" screen - so maybe that is on the way.

Plus I think Sprint gets it Jan w 4G - Just had to choose - so HP went big and went Verizon, no 4g, more mkt share and probably gave them a holiday period exclusive - with the understanding that Verizon actually tries to market it.
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    Just a thought - everyone seems to be taking pains to say "pre production model - not for review" - "showcase for webos2.0" ...

The screen/case being flattened AND beveled lip - could definitely support 3.3" screen - so maybe that is on the way.
    Usually we don't see those kinds of changes between pre-production models and the actual thing. It would be more like slight changes in a spring tension, or maybe tweaking a screw torque.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by HebrewHammer View Post
    It needs a bigger screen!
    With bigger screen it will not be a Pre, it would be something else!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    With bigger screen it will not be a Pre, it would be something else!!!!!
    Heres the thing ppl must remember....the masses DIDNT LIKE the pre....they wanted something else.....remember this also, the masses DID like android....which mostly all have big screens....soooooo to get a large fanbase majority says? have a bigger screen....

or keep a smaller one and have a small user base with hardly any apps and lose money.

Hmmm i think i know which was HP is going to turn the company towards....(the pre2 was made by palm....who failed because clearly they didnt understand what the masses wanted)
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    man I'm glad I dumped my Pre back like 6 months ago and didn't wait for the next webos device. I could not even think about moving back to a webos device from my HTC Evo.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    The definition of "pre" is "preparatory or prerequisite". I guess Palm is still preparing for the real webOS device :/
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    Heres the thing ppl must remember....the masses DIDNT LIKE the pre....they wanted something else.....remember this also, the masses DID like android....which mostly all have big screens....soooooo to get a large fanbase majority says? have a bigger screen....
    Strictly speaking, the Nokia N8 is the best selling phone in the entire world right now (the masses have spoken); outselling the iPhone almost 2 to 1...but that's not the point

I think that HP needs to do exactly what Google and Microsoft did - let other manufacturers make hardware for their OS

Imagine HTC using the EVO as a base platform and putting webOS on it!
    Imagine Samsung's Galaxy (i.e. Epic 4G on Sprint) with WebOS installed!

We - the WebOS fans - will *always* experience this sense of frustration for as long as HP is in control of the hardware AND the OS. It is way too late to try and compete with Apple/RIM and be the sole-provider.

I get a new phone in Feb from Sprint. I love webOS - it's easy to use, intuitive, and has a "cool" factor that's hard to beat. I don't see myself staying true to HP(Palm) as long as we continue to move at a snail's pace with newer, better hardware availability for webOS. Maybe an Epic or an HTC 7 Pro is in my future rather than continuing to hope for something better than this plastic Pre.
    Don't get too excited or you'll end up with the barely adequate HD7. How they could go backwards from the Evo is beyond me. And one blogger claimed that because of MS's standarization, the quality of phones would be better than Android phones. Sure missed that mark. And it seems very few of their phones get the treatment the Legend and N1 got with that nice metal unibody case.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCTWeb View Post
    Imagine HTC using the EVO as a base platform and putting webOS on it!
    The 7 Pro seems nice, but I'd still choose the Epic. 3.5" basic screen, same basic specs as the Evo and no 4g. The only thing going for it is the nice keyboard and hopefully the build quality. Shame. How do you make a premier phone with year old specs and no 4g? And having only 8 tiles visible on the screen just kills the customization factor. I have twenty tiles I can play and optomize the look of my home screen with Android. The more I read about wp7, the less intrigued I am by it. And with winamp now on android, adding in wireless syncing with your winamp'd PC, why do I need the limiting zune experience and no background music unless it's zune? Maybe WP7 will improve before it hits Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCTWeb View Post
    Maybe an Epic or an HTC 7 Pro is in my future rather than continuing to hope for something better than this plastic Pre.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I thought the Pro 7 was okay sounding, but in the current form of Windows Phone 7 and with the screen being just 3.6-inches and apparently a bit dull, I see no reason to consider leaving my Epic. Sprint reaaaaaaaaally needs to get some more WP7 choices.
    And then LG screws the pooch with their keyboarded Optimus. The Optimus only has a 3.8" screen yet it's keyboarded cousin (the Quantum) drops to 3.5". Why? All that bezel...ugh. And that probably won't be on Sprint anyway. I just don't know why a new OS wouldn't get showcased on a a top of the line phone to do battle against the Evo and Epic. And considering WP7 isn't even coming to Sprint for another 4-5 months, you'd think they could one up the Evo and Epic from a hardware point of view with ease. HTC just doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason with it's hardware choices.

I love playing with new hardware, but if it's not inline or better than what I already have (the Epic), why bother?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    And then LG screws the pooch with their keyboarded Optimus. The Optimus only has a 3.8" screen yet it's keyboarded cousin (the Quantum) drops to 3.5". Why? All that bezel...ugh. And that probably won't be on Sprint anyway. I just don't know why a new OS wouldn't get showcased on a a top of the line phone to do battle against the Evo and Epic. And considering WP7 isn't even coming to Sprint for another 4-5 months, you'd think they could one up the Evo and Epic from a hardware point of view with ease. HTC just doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason with it's hardware choices.

I love playing with new hardware, but if it's not inline or better than what I already have (the Epic), why bother?
    They're quite funny with processors. The Snapdragon is the 2K10 version of that 528mhz Qualcomm chip they used to stick everything waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy past its prime. The only variation I've seen them make from Snapdragons are the "Scorpion" chips in the G2/Merge. Qualcomm says we gotta ways to wait on the dual-core Snapdragons too.

I will say, however, that WP7 - as an OS - seems to use the Snapdragon much more efficiently than Android does currently. The entire UI is GPU accelerated and it shows.
    the reviews do say it seems pretty snappy. Most mfgs seem to be sticking to MS's minimum requirements. Marvell is supposed to have a nice tri core processor coming out soon. The single core for daily processing with the other two kicking in for more intensive use. Qualcomm isn't the only game in town, yet most of the WP7 phones are running on it. Pesonally, I'd like to see the Dell Venue (I think that's it), the former Lightning with the portrait slider, but I'm sure that's not happening.

The accelerated UI is one of the smarter things they've done. Reading through the Engadget review though, they seemed like they missed the mark in quite a few areas including some basic smartphone areas.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011