Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Which is not how its always been.

Palm usually had the better screen res way back when when comparing palm to wm. Then the iphone in 2007. Though the centro debuted shortly thereafter the iphone set new ground. But the Pre in 2009 topped the iphone and pretty much was one of the top screens (if not tops) of that time.

Apple passed it up with retina as did android makers with the 800 x 480 or so.

So it will be interesting to see what happens. I think some don't care... But its always been a big criteria for me which made the iphone 4 an easy buy for me. I was glad to see Apple focus on it and make that aspect better known which the competition will follow.
    I see where you are coming from, and for me i totally agree I love a good screen on my mobile device, but how important is this to the average consumer. My gf took a pixi over a pre even though the screen looks horrible side by side next to the pre
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkproteus66 View Post
    I see where you are coming from, and for me i totally agree I love a good screen on my mobile device, but how important is this to the average consumer. My gf took a pixi over a pre even though the screen looks horrible side by side next to the pre
    I think it's crucial. The screen is what you're staring at every time you use the phone, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think it's crucial. The screen is what you're staring at every time you use the phone, after all.
    Yeah but how many people do you see still using and content with something like a razer or old blackberry pearl?

My little brother is in high school still and whenever I go to an event or see the phones that his friends are using and they are all using something like that or a low end android phone with a meh screen.

I agree that on the high end it's important to have a screen with a ton of wow factor but how important is this in the low to mid range?
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Yeah but how many people do you see still using and content with something like a razer or old blackberry pearl?

My little brother is in high school still and whenever I go to an event or see the phones that his friends are using and they are all using something like that or a low end android phone with a meh screen.

I agree that on the high end it's important to have a screen with a ton of wow factor but how important is this in the low to mid range?
    Yeah, but a lot of those are legacy devices that will be in use until they break. Especially in that segment of the market.

When you walk into a store with the intention of buying a new phone, though, the screen is always going to make the first impression. All things being equal, I don't think I could fault someone for passing on a duller, smaller screen in favor of something big and bright on that basis alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yeah, but a lot of those are legacy devices that will be in use until they break. Especially in that segment of the market.

When you walk into a store with the intention of buying a new phone, though, the screen is always going to make the first impression. All things being equal, I don't think I could fault someone for passing on a duller, smaller screen in favor of something big and bright on that basis alone.
    I still see a lot of people in the late high school and college age upgrading to a feature phone over a smart phone even when given the option to go to a smart phone. I think that the screen is a reasonable cut to make to get a foothold in that market. I'm not saying go with a super low end screen but a slight upgrade to the screen in the original pre would be good to have a decent looking screen and still keep the prices down to grab the tween-mid 20's market.

I know I personally would not be happy with that but a lot of people wouldn't mind

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    I still see a lot of people in the late high school and college age upgrading to a feature phone over a smart phone even when given the option to go to a smart phone. I think that the screen is a reasonable cut to make to get a foothold in that market. I'm not saying go with a super low end screen but a slight upgrade to the screen in the original pre would be good to have a decent looking screen and still keep the prices down to grab the tween-mid 20's market.

I know I personally would not be happy with that but a lot of people wouldn't mind
    I think the only mid market out there is a full feature phone that doesn't require a data plan. The few teens i know have these. Palm doesn't play in that market though.

With your basic cellphone being the low end. And smartphones the high end.

In each of those i don't think there's room to segment them further.

In other words, Palm isn't going to nail the tweeners with phones that require a data plan. It's futile. It's a mistake to try to aim a phone like the Pixi at a segment that isn't there. Phones like the Evo are 99.00 at amazon as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think the only mid market out there is a full feature phone that doesn't require a data plan. The few teens i know have these. Palm doesn't play in that market though.

With your basic cellphone being the low end. And smartphones the high end.

In each of those i don't think there's room to segment them further.

In other words, Palm isn't going to nail the tweeners with phones that require a data plan. It's futile. It's a mistake to try to aim a phone like the Pixi at a segment that isn't there. Phones like the Evo are 99.00 at amazon as it is.
    There isn't a market now but in the future there will be. The phone companies like smartphones b/c they can force a data plan and with the huge growth that's happening in the smart phone market I wouldn't be surprised if we see the carriers starting phase out feature phones. Look at what att and verizon are doing with their tiered data plans not to mention data may be required on the new 4g networks. At that point every phone is a data phone.

Most people get their phones from the carriers not thru third parties like wirefly and amazon so that pricing is moot for the vast majority of users.

Not to mention if there were no segmentation in the smartphone market why woudl companies like HTC release a phone like the aria after launching the Nexus one or motorola launch their 50 craptastic low end phones after launching the droid x. If there were no segmentation in the smart phone market every phone would be a flagship device but that's not the case.

I think having options for different segments and price points is a good thing, even if you could get all the phones for free online or in third party shops 90% of buyers will be getting it from their local sprint, verizon, or att shop where they will most likely have to pay a fee up front

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    What are you disappointed about with the Pre 2? (This can include how it runs WebOS 2.0)

1. WebOS 2.0 still runs with a big lag on starting apps
    2. Screen is the same size
    3. No front-facing camera
    4. Not on Sprint (at least initially)
    5. No virtual keyboard
    6. Looks slightly worse, not better, than Pre Plus
    7. Battery life is not greater
    8. Only 512 RAM despite faster processor
    9. No zoom with the camera
    10. no auto-focus or 720p
    Last edited by 6tr6tr; 10/19/2010 at 10:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    That's the biggest one for me. I'll finally be able to get skype, but still won't be able to make video calls. Who cares about using Skype for audio calls? I don't even make enough audio calls to use my minimum 450 minutes.
    All the whiners on this forum.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Where to begin...

Same screen size
    Same resolution
    Minor bump in camera MP
    No zoom with the camera
    No front facing camera
    No HDMI
    No virtual keyboard
    Still non-expandable memory nor a higher capacity amount available
    Search STILL can't search things other than email and contacts
    Verizon Exclusive, flicking the bird to their early adoptin Sprint users stuck on the Minus

Worthless, absolutely worthless. This would have been DECENT if it had actually been what the Pre Plus was as the incrimental upgrade after a year from announcing. Now almost TWO YEARS after the Pre was announced? Horrible.

They better have something announced at CES, and it better launch within a month after rather than 6 months, or else Palm is DOA and WebOS is going to be an amazing OS that was never capitalized on as it finds itself primarily on printers and other random crap.
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 10/19/2010 at 04:24 PM.
    1. WebOS 2.0 still runs with a big lag on starting apps: Yes
    2. Screen is the same size: Yes
    3. No front-facing camera: Yes, and may I add, no auto-focus or 720p
    4. Not on Sprint: Too disappointed to buy it if it were
    5. No virtual keyboard: IDC
    6. Looks slightly worse, not better, than Pre Plus: How so? It looks the same except they stuck some glass on it and put bumpers around the edges.
    7. Battery life is not greater: Battery life is reported to be greater, in the real life, not really though
    8. Only 512 RAM despite faster processor: Not a problem, it really doesn't need more

9. webOS 2.0 fails to truly impress
    10. Why is the phone still so thick in the middle? Thin it out.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    what are you disappointed about with the pre 2? (this can include how it runs webos 2.0)

1. Webos 2.0 still runs with a big lag on starting apps
    2. Screen is the same size
    4. Not on sprint (at least initially)
    5. No virtual keyboard
    6. Looks slightly worse, not better, than pre plus
    7. Battery life is not greater
    8. Only 512 ram despite faster processor
    1, 2, 3, 5 & 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Where to begin...

Still 8gigs of memory and not expandable
    1. The Pre 2 comes with 16GB of storage.
    2. How do you mean? Precentral has tons of screenshots of Just Type searching a multitude of things.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    1.) No timeline for release for other carriers(Sprint)

My pre is dieing the slow death. I watch the crack get bigger every day. I would be willing to switch to a pre 2 as a stop gap mesaure waiting for other new hardware. But I'm not switching carriers. So with this announcment of the Pre2 and it being exclusive on Verizon is the biggest dissapointment for me. Oh well I wanted to give the EVO a couple laps around the block this will be my chance to try something new and become more familar with android(I work in IT so I try to keep up on all platforms).

Edit:

Also wanted to say I'm dissapointed in the Screen size.
    Wish it was a bit bigger. But Definetly would have picked one up to replace my Pre Old 1.
    Last edited by spectre686; 10/19/2010 at 10:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    This is wrong. Actually, ANY app you get from preware and the catalog can build in the ability to be part of universal search (now called Just Type). And if you watch the review by precentral, they show this working.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    720p....Why is the phone still so thick in the middle? Thin it out.
    These 2 are definitely the biggest flaws - No 720p recording and the 16.9 mm thickness of the phone...

Had it been 720p + less than 14mm thick + >3.3" screen (even if at same resolution), it would have been a massive upgrade!
    <<Threads Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    While I probably won't go blowing my upgrade on this phone, I think it is great for someone who doesn't already have a webOS phone. I am more interested in webOS 2.0 on Pre in the somewhat near future.
    This announcement needed to be tied to a roadmap for other Palm devices/updates. Especially with the news that it will not be released on Sprint simultaneously. At this point, absent unofficial/unreliable channels, Sprint users have nothing to go on. That means ever more subscribers locking in to Android, Windows 7 and Blackberry devices for the next two years, whether they really want to leave WebOS or not.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast